Route Suggestions - St Louis to NYC area - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Route Suggestions - St Louis to NYC area

I've been overseas for a looong time. Last time I did this, I had an old Beemer and got suggestions from that crowd...

I want to bow a bit south, probably shoot back up through DC area to visit a friend there.

Also, if it's not too noob a question, what's a good site for this sort of question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Garage
Hey KipPrdy,

If you want route suggestions, how about sharing what your likes and dislikes are when riding?
You looking for scenery?
Challenging roads?
Low traffic?
Places to visit along the way?
What king of places?
Camping?
Hotels?
Strict timeline?
Places to party?
Motorcycle Museums?
Avoid interstates?
Mix of Interstate and scenic roads?

I can give you suggestions based on what I enjoy, but that might not be what you enjoy.

I start by putting in starting place and destination in google maps.
Then I check the avoid highways box and see the route.
Then I alter the route to avoid major and intermediate cities.

Then I go to my list of motorcycle roads based on this site and others. America?s Best Road Trips - MotorcycleRoads.com and see how many of them I can pick up without deviating too far off my route.

Then I use other websites like Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions, Strange Roadside Attractions From Every State | Travel + Leisure, https://www.hmdb.org/, Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives Locations List - State & City Map Guide

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much, and excuse my tardiness. (Was replying to other thread, had multiple failures and gave up... then had to postpone trip. Grrr.)

I really appreciate the list.

My rough plan is slab it through Lexington, then get on the more interesting roads, veering south before heading north towards DC. (Is the Blue Ridge all it's cracked up to be?)

Definitely low traffic is nice, and nice scenery, and nice roads. I'm so not wild about interstates, but seems kind of unavoidable STL - LEX.

A couple nights ago I was out on 70 near here to visit a friend in the boonies. The road got so rough I had a moment airbone. On the interstate. With everyone going upwards of 80. Even better, I had to change lanes (not long after passing what looked to be a fatal accident - my buddy said they're a regular feature of that area) and the bike was suddenly thrown weirdly, popped up and never popped back down. I had no idea what was happening, but just relinquished control so I wasn't over-correcting. Turns out there was a little bank between lanes. On the interstate. And the next lane over was several inches higher. That was new one.

On the way back, I switched to the 55 mph service roads, and then managed to cut down to 64, which is to 70 what Berlin is to Baghdad.

I do not like those massive routes. Not with the trucks, not when I yell Oh F***. I do no like them in the rain; I do not like the noise around my brain. I need to take them from here to there, but I do not like them anywhere!!! Big roads make me sulk and pout; back roads force a joyous shout!

My idea is to find lots of pretty roads that aren't too fast, have some nice leans and do some tent camping. I have the little tent. Haven't done it before in the US, so I'm not sure if I can just show up and find a spot in the national parks. Apparently, there's a 3 dollar fee or something...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I appreciate what you've already given me. Any thoughts on that route, I'd also much appreciate. Looks like it'll be STL-LEX... then Roanoke-ish area, before winding north. Not much of a schedule. Just gotta so I'm back in the Southern Hemisphere before Santa comes. (Scare of that guy. What's with all those big, lumbering reindeer on my damn roof!!??)

I guess you know all your photobucket images have gone dead. Tried looking through your routes. You'd think they wouldn't make the policy change retroactive, but greed, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode