Can You Identify This NYC Building? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can You Identify This NYC Building?

Meant to do this for a while now and finally got round to it. Took these pics during our long weekend in NYC last year, but I've no idea what the building is... can anyone tell me? It's on 5th Ave just south of Central Park, we were on our way to the ESB after an epic walk from Times Square to virtually the top of CP, then back down 5th. One pic looking at the building, the other two looking away in opposite directions. Thanks..!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	15107   Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	15108   Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	15109  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I think it's the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If it is, you should have gone in. One of the best collections Egyptian art in the world outside of Cairo.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM

seriously?...

There is no way for me not to come off rude here...

but seriously?

This is the Met, the metropolitian museum of art.... people come from all of the world to see the 20,000 years of history that is inside it.

Really? ...I cannot believe that people do not know what that building is...its at least as iconic as the empire state building or the chrysler building.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM

I thought for a second that it was the NY Public Library, but the steps were wrong, and there were no huge Lions out front waiting to pounce on unsuspecting tourists. Very similar looking until you put them next to each other.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
seriously?...

but seriously?

This is the Met, the metropolitian museum of art.... people come from all of the world to see the 20,000 years of history that is inside it.

Really? ...I cannot believe that people do not know what that building is...its at least as iconic as the empire state building or the chrysler building.

I didn't know and actually could care less. To me its just a nice looking building.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
seriously?...

but seriously?

Sorry BAMF...! In my place now... But NYC is chock full of lovely buildings, I really can't recognise them on my first trip...!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you know where to look & bother to take the time, you can find lovely things to see where ever you are in the world
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM

sorry, i was an art history major...

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'll have to post a few more of my NYC pics to see who can identify them......!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 12:19 PM

..........I'll not go to NY,NY.
To too much humanity in one place and well...I'm allergic!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
..........I'll not go to NY,NY.
To too much humanity in one place and well...I'm allergic!
The best citybreak we ever did. Can't wait to go back.... need to fool with the ESB some more..!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	205.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	15113   Click image for larger version

Name:	207.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	15114  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM

If you use google image search, and upload the image, the MET comes right up!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 PM

It is a beautiful building indeed. I like taking cruises up 5th avenue very late at night (1am ish) when there is very little traffic; and I always love passing the Met. Not only is it a triumph of architecture; the contents are simply AMAZING. There is absolutely something for everyone in there.The Egyptian wing contains enough on it's own to make for a museum. The fine art is really something else. It's arranged by style and period, so it kind of morphs as you move room to room. I hope on your next trip to the city you set aside a few hours for a trip through the collection. While you're at it, head across town to the Natural History and have a look at a truly insane collection of animals past and present. Between those two places there's at least a full day worth of ogling- if ogling's your thing. One of my favorites: edit- Just looked it up and considering the holiday it seemed worth mentioning that Daniel Chester French carved this; as he also carved the Lincoln Memorial Statue...

Last edited by goat12; 07-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM

My son works on the corner of 5th Ave. and 4nd st. right near Bryan Park, and let me tell you, in the summer there is nothing better than sitting in the park with a beer and watching the babes. In the winter they put down a sheet of ice and you can skate for free if you bring your own skates. It really is the best city in the world.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
My son works on the corner of 5th Ave. and 4nd st. right near Bryan Park, and let me tell you, in the summer there is nothing better than sitting in the park with a beer and watching the babes. In the winter they put down a sheet of ice and you can skate for free if you bring your own skates. It really is the best city in the world.
Bryant Park, yep, we sat there in the sun on our last morning..! What's the building in the background? And a pic of our ride home..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	268.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	15117   Click image for larger version

Name:	290.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	15118  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 AM

I think it's the backside of the NY Public Library. I just looked at your home location and was surprised to see you are from the UK. I just started watching a tv series called Foyle's War on PBS. It is based out of Hastings? It looks like a wonderful place. I have always wanted to visit the UK. Maybe someday.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
I think it's the backside of the NY Public Library. I just looked at your home location and was surprised to see you are from the UK. I just started watching a tv series called Foyle's War on PBS. It is based out of Hastings? It looks like a wonderful place. I have always wanted to visit the UK. Maybe someday.
Foyle's war, that's an old series I believe, unless you're looking at a remake. Hastings? I really don't know, but a famous battle happened there in 1066! It's on the south-east coast, about 70 miles from us. And please do come to the UK, but not during the Olympics, it's gonna be a nightmare getting around London!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Foyle's war, that's an old series I believe, unless you're looking at a remake. Hastings? I really don't know, but a famous battle happened there in 1066! It's on the south-east coast, about 70 miles from us. And please do come to the UK, but not during the Olympics, it's gonna be a nightmare getting around London!
You are right. I had forgotten about the Battle of Hastings. My English history is a little weak, but I have heard about it. Yea, Foyle's War is a few years old, but I am trying my best to keep up through Netflix. I hope maybe someday to make it to the UK. My sister a few years ago spent a few months thumbing her way around, and she loved it. She said everybody was so very nice. Best of luck to you at the end of the month...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode