What the !@%* - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What the [email protected]%*

I was heading North towards central park on my way home from work tonight. A normal route for me take which allows me to avoid a great deal of midtown and crosstown blocks in Manhattan, as well as affording me a few nice minutes riding through the park drive. Today, however, things were not nearly as serene. As I pulled past 34th St in the lefthand portion of the second to rightmost lane I saw a grey sedan approaching at about 50mph (NYC speed limit is 30mph, and traffic was heavy) in the rightmost lane. As he got to a bus blocking his way he swerved left into my lane about a foot behind my bike. Scary, but not the worst I've experienced in this madhouse city. BUT he was far from done. He now accelerated to be between me and the bus in my lane- Leaving me pinned on both sides with no clear exit due to truck mirrors. This was a nasty spot. So now I'm well pissed as you might imagine and practically slamming my fist on his windshield and motioning for him to backoff while maintaining control of my bike. Traffic clears and now he has his window down. We're the only vehicles in our lanes and he's now screaming at me about how I should get off the bike/we should fight etc. Thing is- This midtown Manhattan. There are more cameras per square block than there are people. Don't get me wrong- All I wanted to do was show him the floor, but around here one cannot simply go crushing cager's heads no matter how deserving, without going to jail for quite some time. So that was that- I let him pull ahead wildly and I slowed down to collect my thoughts. So we're all done with this nonsense; I mean, we must be, right? Nope. About 4 blocks later I'm approaching a yellow light at low speed in first gear. I see what I think may be the same car, but am not entirely sure- in traffic second car back in the lane to my right. I approach normally assuming this is over. As I approach I guess he saw me in his mirror, because as I reached his trunk area he he cut his wheel hard left and hit the gas. Thank goodness for years of dirtbike riding, a hotel driveway, and a very nimble V is all I can say. I was barely able to swing out enough to avoid being hit by him, ON PURPOSE(as was clearly demonstrated as he ended this maneuver in the middle of oncoming cross street traffic- our light red the whole time.) The dude straightup tried to take me out. I think it was an expression of shock that turned into seething rage on my face as this guy took off. EEV. That's all I got of his plate. Well shaken at this point I take it slow and a block later find a couple of NYPD officers in their patrol car, to whom I relate the story. My rage blindness preventing me from seeing the end of the plate probably means nothing will ever come of this- but they took off lights blazing. I'm hoping it ended in a one-way shootout.
I don't know that there's a moral to this story, per-se; but I guess I'm just glad I had all my gear on in case it'd gone the other way, and there are some seriously crazy, dangerous mother******* out there. Everyone be safe!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Wow... Glad you're OK. Crazy stuff.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM

I would think seriously about riding with a videocam if I was commuting in Manhattan, wired to the bike and recording continuously. At least if I was taken out, there'd be some record. Very glad you were able to dodge that bullet-head.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Congratulations. Seems like you handled the situation well given the circumstances.
I ride a combination of city streets and freeways every day. People always ask how I deal with all the stupid drivers out there. My standard response is that it is not the stupid ones I worry about so much as it is the mean ones. I just assume people are going to do stupid things but it doesn't always immediately register that while going down the freeway at 65 mph the guy in the pickup next to me vearing into my lane is actually trying to take me out. Like, off the face of the earth out.(Happened two months ago.)
How do I deal with it? I really don't have an answer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM

We are allowed to carry in my state .kinda levels things out anyway always be on the watch////
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I would think seriously about riding with a videocam if I was commuting in Manhattan, wired to the bike and recording continuously. At least if I was taken out, there'd be some record. Very glad you were able to dodge that bullet-head.
There's the moral of the story. Small cameras are cheap and good these days. If I rode in that traffic everyday, no doubt I would have a camera mounted up. With a full plate and video evidence, you may have had a case against this guy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Moral of the story: We ain't heading the right direction, not sure what will be left for our grandchildren.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM

That guy isn't right in the head. Assuming you are all geared up, looking to start a fight with a guy in full armor isn't that bright. I hope the cops nail that wannabe killer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrider View Post
That guy isn't right in the head. Assuming you are all geared up, looking to start a fight with a guy in full armor isn't that bright. I hope the cops nail that wannabe killer.
Always bet on STUPID. I've come across more than one mental giant that thought that counting on me being a civilized person would allow them to get away with all sorts of crap....wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode