Ouch, that smarts - Probable and Possible? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ouch, that smarts - Probable and Possible?

Fellow bikers: Have you ever heard of anyone contacting POISON IVY while riding in the country when high winds were blowing? This person rode for 5 hours wearing a short sleeve shirt, gloves, and an HJC IS33 street helmet. Well, I do... and I'm not happy about it.

And, ironically, I experienced the same thing last July when I went riding on a 3 1/2- 4 hour ride, again in the countryside of SW Ohio and Eastern Indiana. Lots of curves, lots of hills, lots of heat, and lots of sunshine. My exposure last year was much more painful than the one I am experiencing now, but has this happened to anyone you know?

Feedback is much appreciated cause if it is due to riding, I will get full attire on for next time. But, most riders around here wear even less than I do.

I do have a small garden and I did clean it out, but that was over 2 weeks ago. I have scoured the garden and my trees in the backyard and I spot nothing suspicious.

So only thing left is exposure while biking. I have never had allergies to much my entire life. All is pointing to biking... (
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM
MTS

I don't know how true it is but, I have heard your first encounter is free of reaction. The second not so lucky. No sure about the wind blowing it around but man you know when it hits you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM

I believe you have to come in contact with the oils from the plant. Not likely in the air. However, I know you can breath it in from the smoke if it is burned in a fire.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Like Capn Kirk says...it's oily so it's not likely to be airborne unless it's carried by smoke. I have been out riding after fields have been sprayed with either fertilizer or pesticides which caused my body to breakout and the sweat made it even more miserable and I'm not an allergic type person. Maybe it was something like that?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Like Capn Kirk says...it's oily so it's not likely to be airborne unless it's carried by smoke. I have been out riding after fields have been sprayed with either fertilizer or pesticides which caused my body to breakout and the sweat made it even more miserable and I'm not an allergic type person. Maybe it was something like that?
At this point the frustrating part is I do not know where I came into contact with it. Double checked my garden yesterday, and entire back yard, saw nothing that would relate to poison ivy.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM

What about heat rash since you were in the sun/heat for so long?

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-30745.html

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
ATGATT!
ATGATT mesh if really hot out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
At this point the frustrating part is I do not know where I came into contact with it. Double checked my garden yesterday, and entire back yard, saw nothing that would relate to poison ivy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
What about heat rash since you were in the sun/heat for so long?

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-30745.html
Good point! Are you sure its poison ivy reaction?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Fortunately no poison ivy in the desert but lots of other rank stuff. Cactus needles/thorns can be nasty. One took out my rear tire.

Do you have any pets? Pretty sure I got poison ivy from my dog years ago.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

It could be heat rash, but this is more than a rash, imo. And, it takes over 1 or 2 weeks to go away. And I have 2 to 5 inch long red marks on my upper chest, with a larg rash on my right side rib cage. The left side cheekbone feels as if there is some swollen tissue underneath. My right butt has about 10 red itchy blobs, etc. Quite a mess really, and NO, not posting any pictures.

I've considered heat rash, but this is more than heat rash, and last year it lasted several weeks. This year has been over 6 days thus far.

I am taking hot showers which alleviated the itch, and soaking in warm water and baking soda. Both are very helpful.

But, feel too uncomfortable to ride my V. Have not ridden in 4 days now.

Hovever, I will follow up on heat rash and try to view photos of PI compared to heat rash if I can. Otherwise, I may call my doctor if it gets really nasty. So far, very uncomfortable yet still tolerable.

Last edited by toofer; 06-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Fortunately no poison ivy in the desert but lots of other rank stuff. Cactus needles/thorns can be nasty. One took out my rear tire.

Do you have any pets? Pretty sure I got poison ivy from my dog years ago.
Have had dogs (and cats) all my life. One large dog now but only goes free in the back yard except when we walk him on a leash.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Good point! Are you sure its poison ivy reaction?
One of my co-workers assured me it was poison ivy. His wife has severe problems with PI. This year the doctor told them it would be nasty cause we had such a mild winter and nothing died that normally dies in the winter. So, in effect, twice the problems for the same price this summer - free with no charge from Mother Nature herself.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
MTS

Thats just terrible! Sorry for your misfortune! Hope you heal up soon so you can get back to ridin!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Thats just terrible! Sorry for your misfortune! Hope you heal up soon so you can get back to ridin!
Thanks but... after a 20 minute phone conversation with my doctor last night (also a personal friend) he came to the conclusion it is NOT poison ivy. He says it is likely due to something that has changed in my everyday environment, and now I am coming or have been in contact with an irritant.

This reassured me some as I have never been into poison (anything) to my knowledge and my whereabouts the past several weeks and more.

Later on that evening, I remember bout 2 weeks ago going in the basement and bringing up a new bar of soap, and been using it ever since. Prior to this I was using body wash. Since last night I have not used this soap and seen very positive results. Not 100% for sure, but not in pain with burning skin and severe itching as in the last 4 days. I was using this soap for all my washing needs.

On youtube I found something relating chemical scents in soaps and laundry detergent with sun exposure. And, it is BAAD. I was in the sun over 5 hours last week after showering with this soap, both before and after the sun exposure. Only time will tell for sure, but it also explains why I experienced the same thing last year (except somewhat worse) when I was on my V for over 3 hours on a bright, clear, sunny, windy day last July.

Look up commercial bar soap on the web, check you tube, and be careful. This is not fun, and fwiw, imo, it has never been Poison ivy apparently.

But, here are 2 very good products if you experience skin problems maybe caused by skin overexposure - 1. Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap. 2. Jewelweed lotion. The lotion really works to inhibit the itching. I found both at a natural foods health store.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you finally found the source of your problem - SOAP.

Don't use it on the Versys.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM

If you get poison oak and you don't see a Dr and get Prednisone (injected or pills or both), then Tecnu OTC products are very helpful. http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy

We got tons of P.O. around here, creeks and Los Padres National Forest....

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode