Who is Iron Butt certified? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who is Iron Butt certified?

Just got the email from Michael Kneebone, President, Iron Butt Association. I am rider number 49372. Did a SS1000 a few weeks ago. I'M IN! SWEET!

Any other long distance riders out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Congratulations ! I've done 3 rides, one on a Versys.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM

I did an SS1000 on my ST1300 a few years ago and got certified. I have also done a couple 1,000 miles days that I didn't do the paperwork to get certified. I have done it and thats good enough for me. It was fun to do once, but I would honestly rather ride 300 miles of two lane twisty roads then do 1,000 miles on the super slab.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 PM

I was looking at the different events and list of people that did it. I'm honestly kind of shocked. Angle Inlet, MN to Key West, FL... the Pines to Palms Gold... 2300+ mi in under 48 hours?! Are you kidding me?! And some crazy guy did it on a V! That's just insane. Honestly. Insane!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM

I did one

Worst Day of My Life......but I got a nifty license plate bracket......and braggin rights

https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...74607905692962

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I would honestly rather ride 300 miles of two lane twisty roads then do 1,000 miles on the super slab.
+1
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
MTS

I think thats cool! Will not happen for this old warrior, but I've done some rides in my younger years!

Young or old how did you do it without an air hawk for the butt? Ha! Ha!

Congrats!!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 05-21-2012 at 08:38 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM

Welcome to the club Moto!
I did two so far. One on a Yamaha Venture (very easy) and one on an FJR1300 (easy). Both were 1k milers. I want to do another on the Versys but things keep getting the way of my ride time. The 1500 would be the next challenge for me.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Last edited by Thumper; 05-22-2012 at 09:43 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Who/What is the central clearing house to set up doing this? can you choose your own route or are there prescribed routes and dates? info please?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A GOOGLE search will take you to their web site where all things numb will be revealed
Several items are on my radar for the next two years.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by layne1663 View Post
Who/What is the central clearing house to set up doing this? can you choose your own route or are there prescribed routes and dates? info please?
FAQ
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/faq.cfm

Rides
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

Helpful info
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

IBA # 49372
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Just got the email from Michael Kneebone, President, Iron Butt Association. I am rider number 49372. Did a SS1000 a few weeks ago. I'M IN! SWEET!

Any other long distance riders out there?
Congrats! I just knocked out my first SS1000 last month (No. 49320); Tampa to Columbus, Texas. I wouldn't normally do something like that, but I had a two-day ride to get to an adventure challenge in Junction, Texas anyway so I thought I'd give it a shot. I probably won't do that again. I like riding long distances to get to an event or something, but usually around 500 a day with some breaks along the way to check out all the cool stuff just off the beaten path.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I did an SS1000 on my ST1300 a few years ago and got certified. I have also done a couple 1,000 miles days that I didn't do the paperwork to get certified. I have done it and thats good enough for me. It was fun to do once, but I would honestly rather ride 300 miles of two lane twisty roads then do 1,000 miles on the super slab.
Amen. Plus I never felt like I needed anyone to certify me in anything I love doing. But that's just the way I roll...

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Amen. Plus I never felt like I needed anyone to certify me in anything I love doing. But that's just the way I roll...
It'll feel really good to point at the wall and say "THERE! A worldwide, top level organization says I did it." There will be no B.S.ing about how far you can ride in a day. That always seems to be a conversation at every motorcycle rally I go to.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It'll feel really good to point at the wall and say "THERE! A worldwide, top level organization says I did it." There will be no B.S.ing about how far you can ride in a day. That always seems to be a conversation at every motorcycle rally I go to.

Some people need recognition. Some people don't.

Look-at-Me by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
It'll feel really good to point at the wall and say "THERE! A worldwide, top level organization says I did it.
As well it should young man. Long distance riding is one of many ways folks enjoy motorcycling and there’s nothing wrong with sharing any of your accomplishments with friends. Again, congrats!

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Some people need recognition. Some people don't.

Look-at-Me by weljo2001, on Flickr
My jacket is green . . . . .jeez.

IBA # 49372
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM

and some people say spending 4 years earning a bachelors degree is "having a piece of paper"

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I have done it and thats good enough for me. It was fun to do once, but I would honestly rather ride 300 miles of two lane twisty roads then do 1,000 miles on the super slab.
+1, although there were some twisties on my route. but i wouldn't call myself an LD rider, as i have no desire to do it again.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 PM

I'm in!

Just did my SaddleSore 1K this past weekend. I rode in the MinuteMan 1000 rally with about 60 riders. The SaddleSore route was mostly interstate (pretty hard to do 1000 miles in 24 hours any other way) but there was a good mix of secondary roads through VT-NH-ME and even some dirt and gravel thrown in. What was really fun was that the 25 or so of us going for the SaddleSore could also participate in the rally portion by hitting the bonus spots along the route which kept things interesting. Good weekend and the Versys handled it superbly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mm1k_start.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	14897   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS1K_9June2012_small.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	14898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode