Its been a long time... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Its been a long time...

I usually ride peacefully and let the idiots go about their biz without a thought.

I was in the right lane of a two lane divided highway with a 65mph speed limit as I was approaching an entrance ramp for some slow movers entering the highway. I was running 70 and as they were coming in I signaled and moved over to the left lane to give them the right lane to accelerate. Nobody near me in front or behind. There were two huge SUV's like Expeditions or similar and they came in and both cut across the empty right lane and cut me off as they took my left lane (probably around 35mph and climbing). I had to brake pretty hard and I jumped back to the right lane and passed them up the right while giving them the ol .

I hate that I let my emotions get to me but sometimes enough is enough. I was not in a sun spot and I wear hi-viz. It is possible they didn't see me, but more likely they didn't try. There is a left exit about a mile past where they entered, hence the likely reason they jumped across so fast.

But, on the bright side of today's ride, I stopped in Mccoy along the New River near Blacksburg VA and took a break to admire the scenery. There is a railroad track that follows the river. Absolutely gorgeous and shaded for a great resting spot.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Glad they didn't come over on top of you! Probably more than a finger would have met their eyesight, I'm bettin'!

I work as a courier for my "9 to 5". Drive almost 2,000 miles a week between work driving and getting my wife and I to work. I see some of the most incredibly stupid, lame stuff out there on the roads. I have long wanted to take my video camera and record this stuff.

Since you're a Virginian, here's one for ya: about 4 years ago my brother and I were coming down 81 heading south. We were on our annual bike vacation. This was the summer that the state patrol declared that, as of the 4th of July that year, all tickets would be doubled. I don't know the mile marker but we were starting down a long downhill that continued up a long uphill. We were in the left lane behind light traffic but only doing a couple miles over. I spied a trooper northbound coming down the other hill, in the fast lane, turn signal on to pull into a thicket of small trees and bushes in the median. A trooper hiding spot! However, the trooper drove through the thicket and abruptly stopped with his front bumper at the white line of the left lane. Traffic started slamming on brakes and diving sideways, not knowing if was going to dart out into the lane. Endangered everyone's life in those southbound lanes.

Imagine if it was raining or had been, or maybe foggy.

When I came back to riding after several years off, I started reading as much safety tips and other rider's experience stories that I could hold. The most useful tip I keep wedged into my frontal brain lobe is "look for things that can happen and ride like it will".

I think you did it right, too , by following a crappy moment with taking in the peaceful calm rest of another moment. To me, the latter is much more powerful!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Nice place to stop. Did you go for a swim? Could have used that here today: it was friggin' hot. Oh, and we have douchebags like that around these parts too, unfortunately.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
This was the summer that the state patrol declared that, as of the 4th of July that year, all tickets would be doubled.
If I remember correctly, Virginia got the wild hair to double their fines....In their infinite wisdom, the approved doubling was only for vehicles with Virginia plates!!! WTH?? It lasted for a few months and was withdrawn as it was later deemed illegal to punish Virginians differently than out of staters.. Refunds were then given for all the double fines. I am unaware that Virginia has tried that since. Fines still double in posted construction areas though (for all).

Yeah, I see crazy stuff all the time but today I just lost my cool. 5 seconds later, I wished I hadn't.. With cell phone cameras these days, all they would have to do is catch it on video and turn it over to the po po, claim I was driving wreckless, and they would reel me in. Even though I technically wasn't speeding, it could have been presented as wreckless.. (So not me).

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Nice place to stop. Did you go for a swim? Could have used that here today: it was friggin' hot. Oh, and we have douchebags like that around these parts too, unfortunately.
No swim.. Way to much gear to remove and try to get back on a damp body! Might have to plan ahead for later this summer though! There is a river tubing place that rents inner tubes so you can float the river and the bus you back to your vehicle every hour or so!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM

I lived the Charlottesville for years. Man I miss the Blue Ridge and there'd be some great riding there. Now I'm in Flat Land Ohio.

Don't fight with a fool in a Pick up...he could be drunk and run you over like a deer. In some parts of VA he'd no doubt got a gun in the glove box too!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I lived the Charlottesville for years. Man I miss the Blue Ridge and there'd be some great riding there. Now I'm in Flat Land Ohio.

Don't fight with a fool in a Pick up...he could be drunk and run you over like a deer. In some parts of VA he'd no doubt got a gun in the glove box too!
Been to Dayton / Beavercreek area a bunch as I had friends live there for several years. Ohio is very flat and the roads are straight compared to the Blue Ridge. I know what you mean. We have so many great roads here in my neck of the woods.

You are right not to salute a vehicle as I did.. If they want to play, it could go bad real fast. As far as a gun in the glove box, everyone I know has one!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 AM

No matter how cool you are or try to be, sometimes flipping the bird is the appropriate, (or at least understandable), response. I wish it were not so.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
No matter how cool you are or try to be, sometimes flipping the bird is the appropriate, (or at least understandable), response. I wish it were not so.
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode