You Know... Hard Drives do fail... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You Know... Hard Drives do fail...

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 AM

So glad you got everything fixed, there. Out of the hundreds of PCs I've worked on in many, many years I only know of 1 person who routinely backs up his data. I recall using the EasUS software once before and didn't have a problem.

And there are several freebies out there that will sync and copy your selected files and folders to another drive or USB stick at your specified schedule. My brother, who has lots of motorcycle site bookmarks, has one such app that syncs Firefox's bookmarks to a small USB drive in the back of his PC. Syncs every day...just in case his HD fails!

As a musician who uses the PC to create on, I backup ANY time I have made a change to a track. When the song is finished it gets burnt to a DVD and a copy goes to a family member's house....just in case I come home and my house has burnt down. And, I have a cloned drive with all the software and samples ready to go if mine fails.

Yeah...real glad you got your stuff backed up!!

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Take a look at iDrive or Carbonite, etc... encrypted cloud-based backup. If your house burns down or someone steals your computer, etc, you can still get back all your data...photos, videos, music, documents, whatever.... with the additional advantage that you can also get to them while on the road or in an emergency from anywhere. Yes, it takes maybe five days to upload your stuff, but once it's up there, only changes to data are sent. Obviously you need to use a well-known, reliable, honest service. I think iDrive costs me about $49/year and backs up files on my home network storage server and multiple home machines.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 AM

You can set these drives up for disk mirroring in bios. Basically the computer will keep them synced for you automatically as your files get updated. The two downsides to this is disk access speeds drops slightly on disk writes, but not reads and if you do a simple chkdisk to fix faulty sectors you must first disable mirroring or risk corrupting the mirrored disk.

A better alternative is to run your old disk as a slave (not bootable). This will just show up as drive D or G or something. Reformat it and then use a downloaded backup utility to run incremental backups ever night or specified time interval. Only back up your c:\Users\? directory (where all the data is stored). Should your disk fail you can reinstall windows easily on the new disk along with your programs from their original DVDs or the Internet and simply then restore the data from your backup.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-17-2012 at 05:23 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
A better alternative is to run your old disk as a slave (not bootable). This will just show up as drive D or G or something. Reformat it and then use a downloaded backup utility to run incremental backups ever night or specified time interval. Only back up your c:\Users\? directory (where all the data is stored). Should your disk fail you can reinstall windows easily on the new disk along with your programs from their original DVDs or the Internet and simply then restore the data from your backup.
Windows 7 Professional has a built in backup utility that works well. I use shadow copy on the primary hard disk and run my backup jobs to a secondary drive. That way I have versioning and full backups. Its a bit redundant but I was bored and wanted to try it out. You can even do a system image with it.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
You can set these drives up for disk mirroring in bios. Basically the computer will keep them synced for you automatically as your files get updated. The two downsides to this is disk access speeds drops slightly on disk writes, but not reads and if you do a simple chkdisk to fix faulty sectors you must first disable mirroring or risk corrupting the mirrored disk.
The other downside with mirroring is that a HD failure is not the only thing to be concerned with. Data corruption and virus' are also things to be concerned with, and if you get hit with that, the mirrored drive will also get hit.

I personally image my machines weekly, and place the images on an external 1TB drive. It's large enough to hold a few compressed images, and I've successfully been able to perform a recovery with them. If I lose a week of data, then so be it. Better than losing everything. And if I get hit with a virus, and can determine when I got hit, then I can see if I have an image prior to that to restore to.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM

If you want a easy solution, get SyncBack (free) and an external drive bigger than your own. You can then pick whatever data you want to back up and you can back it up incrementally on a schedule.

Personally, I use Shadow Protect to do 4 encrypted incremental backups per day and use their image manager to collapse the image files on a weekly and monthly basis. The result is a very, VERY easy way to recover any misplaced documents or restore your computer.

Also, cloud backups are nice. That way even if your house burns down (and takes your little hard drives and raid setup with it), you can still pull it down. The only downside is the time it takes. I've had to wait 16 hours for data to be pulled to one of my clients (overnight), but it was very worth it. I would rather wait 16 hours for a cheap online backup than pay $5k+ for a data recovery center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode