Bad Decisions Can Be Costly - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Bad Decisions Can Be Costly

Well just got news from my GF's son that his friend and a good young guy i took on a group ride the day i got hit by a car. He was out on his bike late last night and got lit up by the cops and for some stupid reason he decided to try to out run them. Well it didn't wind up good lasted about 6 miles and he totaled his bike and is sitting in jail at the moment. He's a little busted up but at least he's not dead. Really suprised by this because he is such a level headed young man if it would have been one of his other friends i wouldn't be suprised. He just got the bike the day before thanksgiving. Heres some photos of the bike in better times.

IMG_0681 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0689 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1382 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing that! I will never try and out run the cops again. This just triple confirms it!

Hope he learned his lesson and he can now start his new life!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I suppose being younger and riding a ZX you would belive you would out run and get away from anything. Hope he learns his lesson.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
for some stupid reason he decided to try to out run them.
Glad he survived. Maybe sitting in jail banged up he will have plenty of time to think about what he did. I can't help but feel when people do this kind of thing, I worry about the innocent people that are put in harms way by the perp as well as the cops who are chasing.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I suppose being younger and riding a ZX you would belive you would out run and get away from anything. Hope he learns his lesson.
True but here in the Los Angeles area with all the cops plus helicopters the chances are slim.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I will never try and out run the cops again. This just triple confirms it!

Hope he learned his lesson and he can now start his new life!

Yep. A ticket just isn't that big of a deal in the long run. BTW i've been pulled over several times by the cops and rode off with out getting a ticket

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Someone by me back in 2008? They were driving with a suspended license and tried I outrun the cops. In a pretty large town with busy roads. He was doing well over 100, and plowed into a car that was pulling out I thei driveway. He killed himself and the girl driving. She was wearing a seatbelt and yet still ejected by the Inpact. It's a tragedy by all means, regardless of his disrespect for life.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM

In Georgia, there's a "no chase" law which prevents cops from pursuing a bike that attempts to flee. The logic is there's a huge risk of fatality if a chase happens. Not that I would try this, since most cops here are very pleasant to bikers...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Motorolas are faster than motorcycles.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 PM

sorry to hear about that. Good luck with the charges.

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM

I read a local forum that is mostly sportbikes. Not only do they condone running but encourage it. I guess it is an age thing because I wouldn't even think about it.

Between cameras, phones, and radios you might run but it won't be for long.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I read a local forum that is mostly sportbikes. Not only do they condone running but encourage it. I guess it is an age thing because I wouldn't even think about it.

Between cameras, phones, and radios you might run but it won't be for long.
20 years old here, and i can't see myself ever trying to flee the cops... in the back of my mind i'd tell myself they have my plate number anyways so it's just gonna make things worse. Plus every cop around here seems happy when you pull over for them (according to friends anyways). It's just stupid imo.. putting your and others lifes in danger for what? to say you outran the 5-0? Dumb.

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Sorry to hear that, but am glad he survived relatively intact, (luckily). I could be wrong, but when I lived in New Mexico, I thought there was a state police policy not to engage motorcycles in high speed chases, as the outcome is often death or disability for the rider, and potentially for other drivers or pedestrians as well. While I don't think most riders would take advantage of such a policy, I think such a policy would make sense for more police departments to adopt given the cost/benefit ratio to society as a whole. With any luck, the few riders who would "rabbet" would survive long enough to reevaluate the wisdom of their "flight" response.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Weljo, let's hope you step-girlfriend's-son learns from this and takes it easy in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah View Post
In Georgia, there's a "no chase" law which prevents cops from pursuing a bike that attempts to flee. The logic is there's a huge risk of fatality if a chase happens. Not that I would try this, since most cops here are very pleasant to bikers...

Thank you for that.
For a moment I thought I was the only one seeing a problem with cowboy cops chasing people down the road.

Over here they have a few unmarked interceptors who chase speeders for fun and profit. One of them caused a huge incident recently and barely survived. But we do live in a police state.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Weljo, let's hope you step-girlfriend's-son learns from this and takes it easy in the beginning.

Thank you for that.
For a moment I thought I was the only one seeing a problem with cowboy cops chasing people down the road.

Over here they have a few unmarked interceptors who chase speeders for fun and profit. One of them caused a huge incident recently and barely survived. But we do live in a police state.

Hey Ivan, Not the girlfriends son but a friend of his. Hope he learns a lesson . He's sitting in jail with a $75,000 bond so if he wants out before his bond hearing it'll cost him 10% of that.So he's be in there awhile.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Same thing around my area. They try to get the plate and then wait at your house. The only reason they would chase is if the person may have been involved in a serious crime.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Not in Florida!! And You can't out run the radio!

Sweet 10r would of been great for the track! The Felony charge will haunt him the rest of his life...

eric
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltrooper View Post
Not in Florida!! And You can't out run the radio!...The Felony charge will haunt him the rest of his life....eric
Once you get a felony record you will NOT be visiting another country ever again legally!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM

On the bright side, bad decisions make good stories.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Once you get a felony record you will NOT be visiting another country ever again legally!
You would be right in Australia as the whole country used to be a prison colony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode