Tsunami motorcycle hits Canada's West Coast, owner now found - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tsunami motorcycle hits Canada's West Coast, owner now found

The CBC is reporting that a Harley-Davidson's Japan Representative saw the story about one of their bikes getting swept out to sea and being found across the Pacific on the shores of British Columbia, Canada, and has tracked down the owner of the bike. The rest of the story with video can be found here.

Pretty impressed with Harley as they say they are going to repair and return the bike to its owner in Japan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for reviews on all motorcycle accessories as well as other great motorcycle news, stories and video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Great PR for Harley but I can't imagine HD is a very recognizable brand in Japan. I would imagine their Japanese market share is on par with exotic brands like MV Augusta here in North America.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Great PR for Harley but I can't imagine HD is a very recognizable brand in Japan. I would imagine their Japanese market share is on par with exotic brands like MV Augusta here in North America.
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree... Harleys are iconic, and the Japanese, believe it or not, love American Icons.

Okay, I wrote that, then figured I better back it up-

There are about 50,000 Harley Davidsons on the road in Japan. About a 10,000 new ones are sold each year. A new Harley FLHRCI Road King Classic retails for $22,000.

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php...3&subcatid=153
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My nephew is stationed in Japan and some of the locals he's ridden with had a hard time his with lack of HD desire

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 05-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Last November my wife and I rented a Triumph Bonneville and rode around Oahu, Hawaii. At a rest stop we met a couple of young guys from Japan who both rented Harley-Davidson's because it was a dream for them and they both rode Yamaha's at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for reviews on all motorcycle accessories as well as other great motorcycle news, stories and video.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
If a Harley can float across the Pacific, guess that puts paid to them being called lumps of crap!

(I guess crap can "float", can't it?)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If a Harley can float across the Pacific, guess that puts paid to them being called lumps of crap!
Kind of my thoughts too. How did a boat anchor manage to float across the Earth's largest ocean?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Kind of my thoughts too. How did a boat anchor manage to float across the Earth's largest ocean?
Inside a container

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

I'm more impressed with the container! Imagine it being able to float all that way carrying a "lump of crap." But the most amazing part of the story is that the bike held up better than most Harleys!

It reminded me that when my daughter was very young, she called them Hardly Fergusons.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM

one point to keep in mind with all the joking is that losing the bike was probably the least of his worries
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
one point to keep in mind with all the joking is that losing the bike was probably the least of his worries
How true. Amen to that.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Certainly the farthest a Harley has ever traveled without needing maintenance along the way...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 PM

I'm torn on the story. It's great that Harley is going to restore it an return it to the owner, but he's lost so much and is still in a temporary housing trailer. He's lost a lot and he'll be spending years, if not decades, trying to get back into a home and recovering financially. It just makes me wonder whether he'll be able to enjoy/maintain the Harley.

I went to Japan last summer and saw the devastation and visited the temporary housing. It's rough and they're usually not in convenient places. I know some families had lost all transportation and the nearest grocery store was miles away. I saw a lady who cried when presented with a simple bicycle... I guess having a Harley would be even nicer though.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Certainly the farthest a Harley has ever traveled without needing maintenance along the way...
Now that is ...COLD! LMFAO!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Yep, the only way a hardly ableson made it that far was because of an amazing super buoyant mega container.....
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I like to bash Harleys as much as the next guy, but I have to admit my wife's sportster was more reliable than either her Vulcan or my Versys.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode