That's a nice bike but what the hell is it? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's a nice bike but what the hell is it?

Is what I heard this morning on my way into work. there are some long lights in Rockville, MD where I work and I mean long especially the Jefferson St light where it intersects with Montrose Rd. So I was at the light waiting with my visor up taking in the nice crisp air at the light. When I hear, "HEY MAN ON THE BIKE!".

I look to my right and there is an older gent hanging out his window waving his arms at me. I holler back "How's it going?"

"That is a nice bike but what the hell is it?"

I point to my fairing and holler back "It's a Versys"

So what happens next is a rapidfire Q&A at the light.

"It looks like a sport bike/Dirt bike where you sit like a cruiser"

"yep super comfortable"

"Good price?"

"Not bad very affordable"

"Man that looks nicer than the BMW I saw yesterday"

"Well they can't all be perfect"

"HA! Is that the stock shock?"

"Bike is bone stock except for the handguards, seat and the hard case setup, shock could be a bit better but it suits me"

"Whats the displacement?"

"650 its the same engine they use in the ninja 650, just tuned a bit different"

"Man that thing is slick and looks like its a helluva bike, why don't I see more of them are they new?

"this is a 2011 but they have been in the states since 2008 if I remember correctly, it might be the seat height that makes people uncomfortable, stock is 33.5 inches"

"DAMN Man that is so slick kinda reminds me of a dirt bike, where would I go to buy one"

I'm thinking to myself I guess it kind of resembles a dirt bike, because of the handguards. I have no idea but hey who am I to argue with someone's opinion.

"a kawasaki dealer or the internet would be a good place to start"

At this point I'm a bit proud he was drooling over my baby. Now lets take a moment to note this guy was a bit older than me I'd say 48-54 years old wearing a nice button up shirt in what looks like a family owned business truck. I'm only 36 so older is subjective for me so no offense to the gents with more wisdom and experience than I. He seemed to like motorcycles alot. Then I had to lose a bit of respect for his questions. I will say though he seemed like a nice gent.

"I bet you can wheelie all over the place"

/FACEPALM

"I'm sure it could but I don't do wheelies, it's outside my safety/comfort zone, I'm a big sissy when it comes to taking a wheel up, have a great day man"

At this point the light turns green (thank God) and I just mosey on. Conversation was probably about 3-4 minutes. I hate this light in the summer in full gear its the one that will make you sweat like crazy because you are sitting there for so long and heaven forbid there is traffic. I avoid this place like the plague after sitting there for 15 minutes waiting to go one hot summer day.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Good story. I had pretty much the same conversation last week, while I was sitting at a light. I am in Newfoundland, Canada, where we still have a couple of feet of snow on the sides of the roads. A huge part of my attraction for my V is the hybrid, odd factor.. It does not look like anything else. V is for Versitile, touring, commute, adventure riding, some dirt....on it goes...
I keep enjoying my V EVERY RIDE.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Great story. Really enjoyed it (and applaud your memory.)

My mo' in law lives off Montrose. She and the Mrs ate at a buffet near Randolph and 355 recently. The Mrs and I ate at Hard Times Cafe off Rt 28 a couple of weeks ago.

I rode from Baltimore to New Market by back roads last night--ending up not to far from Frederick. I used to live in New Market and go through Frederick and then up Rt 15 to Emmitsburg or out Rt 340 to Harpers Ferry.

PM me if you want me to stop by for a 5 minute visit on one of my shake-out rides.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Reminds me of coming back to my 12GS and seeing this old guy standing looking at it. I climbed on board and he started to engage me in conversation. A few pleasantries passed and then he asked me about my Hella DE fogs that I had fitted. He went on to say that they were illegal and I shouldn't be using them on a bike blah blah blah. I explained that I used them as daytime running lights in the hope that I would be more visible on the road. Nope, that wasn't acceptable to the old coot and he proceeded to lecture me about construction and use and that he had been a cop. I just knew where this had been going, so I asked him, 'Are you still a cop or are you retired ?' 'I'm retired 15 years now', he replied.
'Well then, fek off and mind your own business you sad old bastard' was my, admittedly, curt rude reply.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
Great story. Really enjoyed it (and applaud your memory.)

My mo' in law lives off Montrose. She and the Mrs ate at a buffet near Randolph and 355 recently. The Mrs and I ate at Hard Times Cafe off Rt 28 a couple of weeks ago.

I rode from Baltimore to New Market by back roads last night--ending up not to far from Frederick. I used to live in New Market and go through Frederick and then up Rt 15 to Emmitsburg or out Rt 340 to Harpers Ferry.

PM me if you want me to stop by for a 5 minute visit on one of my shake-out rides.
I know that buffet if it is the one near Gold's Gym. It's not bad but the service is horrible. I wish they wouldn't make you dependent on the wait staff for drinks.

I was going to shoot up 75 off 355 and go through New Market the other day. I hear its a nice ride. I'll shoot you a PM and we can exchange cell numbers and maybe meet up for a root beer at Brewer's. They make an awesome root beer. When I ride the bike I don't partake of alcohol unless I am going to be somewhere longer than 3 hours and then it has to be within the first 30 minutes of me sitting there. Me being paranoid I know but I don't like to mix alcohol and motorcycles.

Or if you are down for some grub I know a couple places that have decent cheap food. I'm running up to Hagerstown via Route 40 saturday to get tires put on the bike.

"Why do I ride?"

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
fek off
Wow thats a blast from the past on a word. I used to game/chat with a gent from Scotland and that was his favorite word. I miss that big red headed scotsman as he was a trip.

"Why do I ride?"

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Wow thats a blast from the past on a word.
The board won't allow the full f**k version.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I worked on a crew with several Irishmen (years ago...), and heard "fek" LOTS!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode