Any good, free, motorcycle-related Android apps? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any good, free, motorcycle-related Android apps?

Are there any good, free, motorcycle-related Android apps? Doesn't matter what it's regarding, just something that you've found useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Moto/Bike Maintencance Recorder is one. I don't use it but it looks interesting. I might give it a try for fun.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM

Raindar is a great traveling companion. Just touch the icon and your location pops up along with animated radar that shows where the rain is located and what direction it's going. I've tried a lot of them and this is the best.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Impressive! Just downloaded and passed on to other rider-friends. Thanks for the question and the response!

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Some of my apps

Rainy Days - radar

The Weather Channel - you know

DroidLight - flashlight

Twitter - Capital Weather Gang (weather)

Mapquest

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Some of my fav apps are
-math alarm clock - it makes sure you are awake by making you answer math questions to shut it off, no more hitting the snooze button.
- evernote - best todo list/note taking app I've found and backs up to web automatically so you can see notes on your computer
- adao easy task killer - frees up memory by automatically killing background apps that result from minimized windows you are not using
- adao task manager - manages applications
- wheres my droid - track your droids location on the web if you loose it

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Maverick: nice mapping application with great off-line map support. There's a desktop application called 'Mobile Atlas Creator' that allows downloading of maps from Google, bing, OSM, and other sources (like aviation sectionals). Copy those to the phone, and you can use those with the phone without a data connection. I have an older android phone (original droid) with no working data plan that I run basically nothing but Maverick on a RAM mount for on bike mapping.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Maverick: nice mapping application with great off-line map support. There's a desktop application called 'Mobile Atlas Creator' that allows downloading of maps from Google, bing, OSM, and other sources (like aviation sectionals). Copy those to the phone, and you can use those with the phone without a data connection. I have an older android phone (original droid) with no working data plan that I run basically nothing but Maverick on a RAM mount for on bike mapping.
Now that sounds like a good one. I'm often getting into areas with no data connection. I'll definitely give this a try.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Post more if you find some good ones.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM

I also have pdanet from june fabrics which lets me tether my laptop to my Droid X and have internet connectivity.

http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php

I bought it a while ago but it was under $20, and cheaper than paying the phone provider for a month of wifi-hotspot then turning it back off.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 AM

I just got a Droid Bionic 3 weeks ago. Don't know why I went this long without a smartphone. Huge help in my day-to-day schedule. And now riding!

My-Cast Weather Lite - free - shows current info, 7 day forcast, animated map, alerts and more. Updates location fast. A good bit of info.

Radar Now! - free - shows fantastic weather map detail.

My Tracks - free - GPS logger. Exports to most common map files for Google Earth and other GPS tracking sites (Breadcrumbs, etc.). A great way to show folks the crazy, insane route you took last weekend!

By the way, ordering a Ram Aquabox to mount phone to the bike. Then its "goodbye TomTom!"

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM

I recently found a new one and have been testing it out. If you're into adventure style touring and camp along the way I'm sure you've found yourself in a situation where it's getting dark and you have to find a place to stop for the night. "We Camp Here" is an app that can save you from setting up under a bridge or in the back of a rural cemetery for the night. It has private and public campgrounds listed along with lots of info about each one. It can start looking from your current location and has routing capabilities. It's $2.99 and seems to be a lot more complete than the free ones available.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

I just picked up a really cool HUD app for my android. It's called ZP Dashboard and the full version cost me $2.88. It's basically the HUD out of any aircraft. It actively monitors speed, pitch, roll, yaw, g-forces, heading, coordinates etc. The crazy part is- if you have your Android mounted where the camera can see in front of you it will overlay the HUD on a live shot of the road ahead. Obviously that part is more of a nerdprom feature than something useful, so I don't think I'll go remounting my Android any time soon. The Otterbox Defender series cases are great for bikes, by the way. Used the same setup on my Z400SM.

There is a free version that excludes some of the bells and whistles.

Last edited by goat12; 03-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 PM

OMG - what next???

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode