Brain Fart - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Brain Fart

Well i've seen where guys have posted about dropping thier bikes because they didn't put the kickstand down. Well i've officially joined that club. Was putting the bike in the garage stopped at the entrance of the garage to get off the bike and started to lean it over on the kickstand and oh crap it just kept going taking me with it. Tried to get up quick but my foot was stuck under the bike. Gas is leaking out just filled up yesterday. Was able to get my foot out picked up the bike and started looking for damage. The only thing done to the bike was the mirror hit the entrance edge of the garage and broke the glass on my left side Z-1000 mirror and i got a good strawberry on my forearm. Have a spare set of mirrors so no big deal. It'll take a couple of minutes to get the bike straight about an hour before i stop feeling like a dumbasssssss

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am a proud member however it has been a long time ago with my first motorcycle. Once you join the club, you check the kickstand! BTW, my wife is a member as well. She dropped her first bike also.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Bummer. Came close a couple times. The worst was on my 800 lb touring bike. Started to lean it over and immediately noticed that it didn't stop where it should have. Kept it from going down but man did I strain some muscles. LOL!

Glad only minor damage and you didn't get pinned under the bike with fuel spilling on you while your staring at the water heater wondering if a spark will set off the fumes.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome to the club, my drop on the V was a 5 sec delay as was already walking away when it dropped onto grass.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Bummer. Came close a couple times. The worst was on my 800 lb touring bike. Started to lean it over and immediately noticed that it didn't stop where it should have. Kept it from going down but man did I strain some muscles. LOL!

Glad only minor damage and you didn't get pinned under the bike with fuel spilling on you while your staring at the water heater wondering if a spark will set off the fumes.

Yea a few times i've had my foot slip in loose asphalt and the bike started going down but i was able to muscle it back up. But this time i was trying something different my right knee still hurts like hell from the accident so i was going to get off the bike on the right side so i lifted up my left foot grabbed the right side hand grip and leaned the bike to the left so when it went i was just on my right foot and it snatched me too my left and it was all over. Good thing about the water heater is its on the main house the garage is connected to our guest house. Going out in a ball of fire would not be good way to go.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I have never dropped the Versys, but I did drop my first street bike when aggressively jumping on the thing while on a very un-even curb. I let my weight carry over the bike only to find I couldn't reach the pavement in time. The my momentum continued and dropped it right out on the street. Felt like a total freakin' idiot.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome to the club, my drop on the V was a 5 sec delay as was already walking away when it dropped onto grass.
Pretty much what I did. Walked away and heard it fall behind me. A sinking feeling of oh $*#%!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Then there was the time I stopped for gas & started talking to someone in the process of pulling to the pump. The right foot went into the oil drip I would have normally noticed. The goldwing went over on me like it didn't care one bit about my pride. There those who've done it, those who haven't done it yet, and those who are gonna do it again.

steve
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Then there was the time I stopped for gas & started talking to someone in the process of pulling to the pump. The right foot went into the oil drip I would have normally noticed. The goldwing went over on me like it didn't care one bit about my pride. There those who've done it, those who haven't done it yet, and those who are gonna do it again.

steve
...and there are those that have come close, very close.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Did that on my second day of ownership. At least you had the luxury of being in your garage! I was happily riding through the parking lot of my local Walmart when I found a nice spot. Proud of my new bike, I nicely rolled her into the spot, shut it off and proceeded to let it nearly crush my leg. I don't think I have ever summoned such an intense rush of energy to pick up a heavy object before. I had it back up in about 1 second, but there were already a couple onlookers.

I figured I got the humiliation out of the way early, so I should be good for a while.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Pretty much what I did. Walked away and heard it fall behind me. A sinking feeling of oh $*#%!
Wow I said the same thing and don't even speak American
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM

I can only remember a 4 letter word uttered....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
MTS

Not my V YET! Ha! Ha!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Did that on my second day of ownership. At least you had the luxury of being in your garage! I was happily riding through the parking lot of my local Walmart when I found a nice spot. Proud of my new bike, I nicely rolled her into the spot, shut it off and proceeded to let it nearly crush my leg. I don't think I have ever summoned such an intense rush of energy to pick up a heavy object before. I had it back up in about 1 second, but there were already a couple onlookers.

I figured I got the humiliation out of the way early, so I should be good for a while.

Yea when i went over i was laying there at the front door of the guest house so as soon as i saw my foot was stuck i started knocking on the door for my girlfriends youngest son to help me. He yelled out he had to get dressed he didn't know why i was knocking. Then i said to myself oh hell no i don't want anyone to see me stuck under the bike so i pushed on the bike with my other foot and got off the ground just as he was opening the door pick up the bike and told him i got it...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM
MTS

First month I had my V. Pushing it past my patio and I got too close to patio and it started to lean toward the other side. Had to jump over the bike and barely caught it. It was heavy, and I'm a big guy, still play hockey so I can move but wow, it was six inches from the ground. I really learned how heavy the bike is! Ha! Ha!

The "oh I thought the kick stand was down" thing is common! I've done it on other bikes. Heart sinking feelin!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Glad you're ok. Mine's gone down with the pos kickstand down twice within a week as I was going back into the garage for my helmet after starting her. I've had her over three years so I know how the stand can be and I kick the stand down and make sure it's 'locked' but, like kiwi 41, a few seconds later there was that awful crunch. Yesterday after it happened and I picked her up and restarted her I left for work and found out I couldn't get her out of second so I drove around the block back home so I could bend out the gear shift lever. Thank goodness for the h&b crash bars.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Bummer.

I recently had the opposite happen with the possibility of a nasty crash.
I stopped at the petrol station and saw my kick stand almost fully extended. I probably didn't kick it fully when departing and I rode aggressively for 20km with it in that position. Lucky thing was that there were mostly right turns.

Mind the kick stand.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Bummer.

I recently had the opposite happen with the possibility of a nasty crash.
I stopped at the petrol station and saw my kick stand almost fully extended. I probably didn't kick it fully when departing and I rode aggressively for 20km with it in that position. Lucky thing was that there were mostly right turns.

Mind the kick stand.
My V cuts out if you put it in gear when the stand is not in it's fully upright position. Isn't that a standard feature on all these bikes?

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Glad the damage wasn't serious to either you or the bike. The saving grace, if there is one, is that you weren't arriving at the starting point of a group ride where there were a bunch of fellow riders standing around to watch the event.

If it makes you feel any better - probably not - last fall I rode to the local BMW/Triumph dealer to drool on a few new bikes and observe the sometimes-snooty owners of BMWs chat with one another. When it came time to leave, I suited up, climbed aboard the Versys, flipped up the kickstand, and punched the starter. Much to my dismay, each time I put it in gear, it "stalled." It took several "what the hell's going on" attempts before I realized the side stand hadn't retracted completely and the "idiot protector" (me, apparently) safety feature was only doing it's job. I refused to look at the group of people watching me, but did mutter a few choice words - to them and myself.

It seems everyone observes my less than brillant moves but no one ever witnesses the brillant bits. Oh well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

It seems everyone observes my less than brillant moves but no one ever witnesses the brillant bits. Oh well.
LMAO

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode