Children with lower intelligence more likely to become prejudiced adult - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Children with lower intelligence more likely to become prejudiced adult

Very interesting article on a university study that seems to show a link between prejudice and low intelligence.

Link to original article - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2325323/

"Researchers have found a possible explanation for why certain people are prejudiced: they’re less intelligent.

Children with lower general intelligence are more likely to become prejudiced as adults, according to a Brock University study.

The study, published in the journal Psychological Science, examined data from two large-scale British studies, and found lower intelligence scores in childhood were predictors of greater racism in adulthood, which the researchers controversially explain is brought about by adopting right-wing ideologies.

Lead researcher Gordon Hodson told LiveScience that the results of the study indicate a vicious cycle, in which people with low intelligence are drawn to socially conservative ideologies. In turn, those ideologies can contribute to prejudices.

“Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order,” he said, explaining why those with lower intelligence may gravitate toward the right. “Unfortunately, many of these features can contribute to prejudice.”

The researchers found that people with lower intelligence also tended to have less contact with other races and groups, which, Dr. Hodson said, supports previous research that determined interacting with other groups is mentally challenging and cognitively draining.

Dr. Hodson explained the findings do not mean all liberals are smart and all conservatives are stupid, LiveScience.com reports. “There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals,” he said. It only shows that less intelligent individuals are much more likely to gravitate to socially conservative beliefs.

Previous research has suggested that the brains of conservatives and liberals are wired differently."

Last edited by twowheels; 02-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Since when did the word prejudice become synonymous with racism?

Prejudice: Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.

Racism: 1.The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...

Everyone is prejudice to a certain extent. We all make a judgement about someone based on the way they are dressed, carry themselves, and communicate.

This study sounds like a bunch of liberal collegiate types trying to push their liberal adjenda on society. Sounds like a bunch of left-wing radicals.

I read that and wonder who is being prejudice here?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racism.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	13801  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gonna have to ask... didn't many of you (or all), find yourselves thinking that someone was obviously unintelligent, when you heard them talking about how this group, or that group, or them people or etc etc... were such and such? they didn't deserve this or that, they were all lazy... etc etc?

I know I did.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Gonna have to ask... didn't many of you (or all), find yourselves thinking that someone was obviously unintelligent, when you heard them talking about how this group, or that group, or them people or etc etc... were such and such? they didn't deserve this or that, they were all lazy... etc etc?

I know I did.
Not when they were talking about H-Ds....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My first thought lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
My first thought lol
hahahah oops, should have mentioned there were exceptions
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Garage
The fact that those academia folks are trying to tie right wing conservatism with racism shows the level of Prejudice those who conducted the study have.

Just like many folks here who cut down HD even though they never owned one in the past 5 years.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Just like many folks here who cut down HD even though they never owned one in the past 5 years.
90% of all HD's ever made are still on the road and the other 10% made it home but all jokes aside it just a bit of harmless banter.
My wife rides a metric cruiser and some of her girl friends ride HD's, she will tease me about my plastic bikes or my cyclops looking versys and i will remind her she has more plastic in that truck on two wheels but its all in good fun.

An observation i find in my part of the world is some HD owners can give it but not take it and HD ownership is a religion. My personal preference is i do not enjoy riding any type of cruiser but i also have tried some sports bike with very acute riding lean angle and can't stand it (my neck/back don't do well) so in that situation prefer a cruiser everytime.

I know well off subject but house is empty and looking for someone to talk to
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
90% of all HD's ever made are still on the road and the other 10% made it home but all jokes aside it just a bit of harmless banter.
My wife rides a metric cruiser and some of her girl friends ride HD's, she will tease me about my plastic bikes or my cyclops looking versys and i will remind her she has more plastic in that truck on two wheels but its all in good fun.

An observation i find in my part of the world is some HD owners can give it but not take it and HD ownership is a religion. My personal preference is i do not enjoy riding any type of cruiser but i also have tried some sports bike with very acute riding lean angle and can't stand it (my neck/back don't do well) so in that situation prefer a cruiser everytime.

I know well off subject but house is empty and looking for someone to talk to
I know what you are saying which is why I put the wink after my statement. Since I do like cruisers, I can appreciate the artistry of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. I don't own one manly because of the "follow the crowd" and "fitting in" mentality. My wife and I show up to popular HD gathering places like Lynchburg, TN (home of Jack Daniels) wearing our Vulcan gear and we do get some looks from the Harley folks. I used to not like cruisers because they are not as agile as other motorcycles but I have grown to appreciate them as I have slowed down in recent years. I couldn't even get comfortable on the Ninja 1000 nevermind a SS bike which is why I ended up with the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode