ANNOUNCEMENT: SLC Gas Station Warning - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation SLC Gas Station Warning

Just a Heads-up............ My checking account has been active without my help over the weekend. Charges are coming from PIOLT Fuel centers - big rig charges I guess considering how much it cost for 2 charges sofar. A third is still pending.

I've been to the Smiths station on 800 S and 900 E , Flying J at Lake Point ,

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

I wonder if there is something about Utah that makes this easier. The only time I had a card used was there also.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM

Wow. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I had someone do this to me to the tune of a few thousand spent at NFL.com and a couple of other things bought and shipped overseas. It's good you caught it quick!

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM

NEVER use a debit card in place of a credit card, especially where you run the transaction as a charge and don't have to use the PIN #. There's no limit on a debit card, whereas credit cards have a limit of $50 on fraudulent use. I always use credit cards when on the road, and I won't use a debit card anywhere except at a bank machine to get cash.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM

All pumps have a CLEAR button . ALWAYS use the CLEAR button after your transaction otherwise the clerk can still access your account .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Good news

The last time I used the card at Flying J / Pilot was on the 12th, it went as credit because I was inside. It is known that clerk or managers have been caught selling merchants credit card numbers. This could be just such a case. FBI and secret service are working on this and many other cases. The good news is I got my money back from the three fraudulant charges. 2 days time and VISA took care of it. On an other forum a fellow rider said he uses a throw-away card , a credit card with minimal credit and not attched to his checking....... Think I'll go that route and use cancell buttons when possible.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Never hand your card to someone if you can help it, especially to a waiter at a restaurant, and pay attention to where you're sticking it Thieves have evolved, and now add a tiny card reader to the main existing ones in the pump, so when you slide your card in, they get their read too. Usually someone sits around in a good spot to watch you punch in your zip code or pin, so they have all the info they need to rip you off. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, don't use your card there. Seeing as how they've pretty much gotten rid of all incentives to use debit cards, using credit everywhere isn't a bad idea if you're disciplined enough to pay it off every month.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Never hand your card to someone if you can help it, especially to a waiter at a restaurant, and pay attention to where you're sticking it Thieves have evolved, and now add a tiny card reader to the main existing ones in the pump, so when you slide your card in, they get their read too. Usually someone sits around in a good spot to watch you punch in your zip code or pin, so they have all the info they need to rip you off. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, don't use your card there. Seeing as how they've pretty much gotten rid of all incentives to use debit cards, using credit everywhere isn't a bad idea if you're disciplined enough to pay it off every month.
This is exactly what I do. I zero out my credit cards every month. I consider them to be cash cards and treat them just like my amex card. The whole thing takes about ten minutes online once a month.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Out here the thieves actually have a bunch of keys to the gas pumps, so they are surreptitiously installing the card skimming devices INSIDE the pump housings. The skimmers have bluetooth so they don't even need to retrieve them - just drive in, connect, and drive off with the card data. The local Chevron now festoons the pumps with special serialized anti-tamper tape along the pump access door seams, so you and they can hopefully tell if someone has opened the pump. Crazy sh!t. I suppose the bad guys will be printing their own rolls of tape soon. Sigh.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Andreas, I am in Sandy. Where you at?

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode