Pardon me, but - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pardon me, but

WTF!? He's ridden the bike for almost a year and a half and has 12k miles on it (actually pretty impressive for an hd rider!) and now realizes that it doens't have abs? You'd think he'd have practiced in a parking lot to get an idea of it's capabilities or the threshold point. So many questions: could the accident even have been prevented with abs etc....... "Chicks dig ABS"???

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz1gismlruE

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM

How sad.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Wow, that's right up there with the case of the lady winning several millions by dumping hot coffee on herself at the McDonald's drive through. Let's hope for sanity's sake HD isn't found liable, though sad about his wife's condition, hope she is ok considering the circumstances.

What ever happened to the word ACCOUNTABILITY. It's too easy to blame someone else and get rewarded for it because the system is too screwed up from too much litigation in our world.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=El Tig;181071]"could the accident even have been prevented with abs etc....... "Chicks dig ABS"???http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz1gismlruE

Love this, "causing his wife who was pillion to end up brain damaged" you have to wear a helmet or what I really want to say is a real helmet to prevent brain damage!

O yes ABS prevents all accidents. Just ask any BMW rider with the fancy ABS and they will tell you that they never crash!

Last edited by douglasgraham; 12-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's difficult to believe that anyone could live with a machine for that length of time and that number of miles and not realize there was no ABS. He indicates there was an "icon" on the instrument panel but there is no indication of the circumstances under which he expected it to illuminate. Maybe he expected it to be like older French vehicles in which the brake warning light came on only when there were no brakes?!

There is no specific information concerning the circumstances surrounding the accident; however, it seems rather obvious that he didn't understand than an ABS equipped machine would, under typical circumstances, take longer to stop than a non-ABS equipped machine (simply because ABS modulates the brakes to prevent wheel lock-up). The implication is that the operator expected ABS to be some manner of magic savior.

Perhaps this sad case gives credence to the thought that there may be limits to intelligence but there are no apparent limits to stupidity.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 12-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
It's difficult to believe that anyone could live with a machine for that length of time and that number of miles and not realize there was no ABS. He indicates there was an "icon" on the instrument panel but there is no indication of the circumstances under which he expected it to illuminate. Maybe he expected it to be like older French vehicles in which the brake warning light came on only when there were no brakes?!

There is no specific information concerning the circumstances surrounding the accident; however, it seems rather obvious that he didn't understand than an ABS equipped machine would, under typical circumstances, take longer to stop than a non-ABS equipped machine (simply because ABS modulates the brakes to prevent wheel lock-up). The implication is that the operator expected ABS to be some manner of magic savior.

Perhaps this sad case gives credence to the thought that there may be limits to intelligence but there are no apparent limits to stupidity.

Exactly.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM

I would like to hear the rest of the details on the accident (too fast for a turn and locked up the rear brake?The typical Harley wreck)
Also, What kind of POS helmet was she wearing?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Please i am not trying to offend you guys in the States but everytime we hear this sort of thing in the media we always laugh and say only in America in this part of the world, that is nuts!!!!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm guessing he and his wife were also not wearing full coverage full face helmets when they crashed either.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Someone made the comparison that ABS might be for motorcycles what some people think of AWD on their cars, they think that they can ride/drive outside their limits and the magic of technology will save them...i hope this wasnt the case
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM

Looks like HD won the lawsuit and the woman will take home $0 :

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/19/413...ash-loses.html

Sometimes things do work out for the best in US court rooms.......
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegenes View Post
Looks like HD won the lawsuit and the woman will take home $0 :

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/19/413...ash-loses.html

Sometimes things do work out for the best in US court rooms.......

Good to hear.But how much did H/D have to spend defending itself from such B/S

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM

The guy thought it was the tricycle version.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
"... As for the icon, Veen focused the jury on a Harley engineer's deposition testimony that the manufacturer puts it on all of its bikes "to make sure that those bikes that did have ABS would definitely have the icon in."

Rushford said the dealership made no such representation, and Harley-Davidson Motor Co. attorney Gary A. Wolensky of Newport Beach said there's nothing "odd or unique about having an ABS icon on a non-ABS bike."

If the icon doesn't light up when you start the bike, anybody should know you don't have ABS, according to Wolensky. He said in the six years Harley-Davidson has offered the braking option, nobody has filed a claim or lawsuit or even complained to a dealer.

To require separate tachometers for the two types of bikes would "bring the assembly line to a halt," Wolensky said.

Wolensky and Rushford blamed Jack Wilson, 48, for the crash. They both said he should have known the bike's features after riding it for 15 months and 12,000 miles.

"Jack Wilson should have prevented this accident," Wolensky said. "He didn't know his bike."

Veen laid a third of the fault on Jack Wilson and told the jury to award the estranged husband only $100. But he said the ABS icon and the alleged remark by the salesman mean the manufacturer and the dealer have to pay.

"How many brain-damaged people will it take?" Veen asked."

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/16/412...link=lingospot
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
MTS

HD exonerated.
Families that get hurt so bad do things they normally would not do out of pure pain and loss!
I feel really bad for this lady and her husband, children, family.

Like some of you said, we all need the best riding gear we can get!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineout View Post
Someone made the comparison that ABS might be for motorcycles what some people think of AWD on their cars, they think that they can ride/drive outside their limits and the magic of technology will save them...i hope this wasnt the case
Exactly! Seem that people who have all wheel drive vehicles believe the laws of physics don't apply to them.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 12-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/12...rley-davidson/

it happened back in 2009.

The husband and wife broke up....post accident, but later joined up to sue H-D!

Sounds like it was a 'money-grab' from the start and good for H-D for holding there ground.

In the end...my fellow americans are nothing but a constant embarrassment to me.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/12...rley-davidson/

it happened back in 2009.

The husband and wife broke up....post accident, but later joined up to sue H-D!

Sounds like it was a 'money-grab' from the start and good for H-D for holding there ground.

In the end...my fellow americans are nothing but a constant embarrassment to me.
I thought as much. Reading the linked post revealed my suspicions to be pretty accurate. The "operator" stomped on the rear brake and locked it up - what a surprise! It would apear he had little, if any, understanding about motorcycle braking technique and probably harbored some long-past wive's tale about the "danger" of using the front brake. It wouldn't surprise me if he also believed "laying the bike down" is an acceptable technique, though why anyone would intentionally relinquish control to become an unguided projectile is beyond me.

It's a wonder he didn't crash long before he did. Bloody amazing, but it seems it's easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility for one's own apparently unskilled actions.

Take heart, stagehand. Not all Americans are an embarrassment, though it seems many try hard to be. Regarding motorcyclists, part of the problem appears to be that, in the U.S., motorcycles continue to be viewed as toys as opposed to other nations around the world where they're viewed, and I suspect accepted, as a legitimate means of transportation.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 12-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

Here's a more authoritative account of the verdict:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/20/413...vidson-in.html

Too bad they turned down the $900K pre-trial offer. Ouch.

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode