hard to not reply, NEWB!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry hard to not reply, NEWB!!!

I must be having a bad day, week, or month but has anyone else noticed posts that ask questions that have already been asked before?

I like that this forum isn't like others I have been on in the past (pirate 4x4 being the most relevant example). Where if you were to post something that had already been discussed, you would get the most hateful flame throwers trashing you for the whole day. I don't think we are headed down that road, but I can feel myself cringe a little when someone asks a stupid question.

What i am talking about is users that are not checking the search before they post. So we end up with 15 threads talking about the same thing. When the answer to their perfectly valid questions has already been discussed beyond comprehension.

my favorites are:
  • what tires would be good for the V?
  • do you think this slipon will give me more power?
  • do you think the V is good offroad?

The solution might be a "use the search" emoticon!

This all might be me raging cause some taxi driver almost smacked my leg when trying to butt in my lane this morning.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16605

It's like

Even the commentary on the commentary may fall into the this "trap".

No harm intended

In regard to searching the best advice I received is using the Google Search bar at the top center on the screen rather than the Forum's search function, way better.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 09-21-2011 at 11:01 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Ibut I can feel myself cringe a little when someone asks a stupid question.

:
There are no stupid questions......just stupid people....
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

cmore- that was very clever... i had forgotten about that thread lol

foot in mouth

anyways i just needed to rant.

1997 KLR 650

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Just in case some aren't familiar with this search technique, I find good results typing my search query into Google and specifying the site I want to search. For example:

best windscreen site:kawasakiversys.com

Note that there is no space between "site:" and the web address. The same results can be achieved by using Google's advanced search options, but typing a bit saves me a couple of clicks. I hope someone finds this info useful.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Well i was thinking what tires are good for my Versys?....also if i add a slipon do i still need a power comander? or all the vibration from going off road will it damaged it?...

any input please?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM

The forum would come to grinding halt in no time if everyone did a search and got their answer that way.

There are always new twists and things to learn, even if they have been asked a 100 times before.

Its a way for FNG's to introduce themselves. I'm on a boat forum and can't remember how many times I have told folk that they don't need to be hooked up to the 3G or WiFi to make their Navionics nav program work. But, each time it gets pointed out, it stirs up more interest and information.

Plus things change, what tires should I get, a tried and true one-but new tires are always coming out. How to lube my chain, new lubes are around etc.

Let the FNG's ask the same old questions, gives the experienced Versyi a chance to show off their knowledge.

Machog

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
The forum would come to grinding halt in no time if everyone did a search and got their answer that way.

There are always new twists and things to learn, even if they have been asked a 100 times before.

Its a way for FNG's to introduce themselves. I'm on a boat forum and can't remember how many times I have told folk that they don't need to be hooked up to the 3G or WiFi to make their Navionics nav program work. But, each time it gets pointed out, it stirs up more interest and information.

Plus things change, what tires should I get, a tried and true one-but new tires are always coming out. How to lube my chain, new lubes are around etc.

Let the FNG's ask the same old questions, gives the experienced Versyi a chance to show off their knowledge.

Machog
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
In regard to searching the best advice I received is using the Google Search bar at the top center on the screen rather than the Forum's search function, way better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsForVonski View Post
Just in case some aren't familiar with this search technique, I find good results typing my search query into Google and specifying the site I want to search. For example:

I am pretty sure that is what the search box in the center at the top does.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsForVonski View Post

Note that there is no space between "site:" and the web address. The same results can be achieved by using Google's advanced search options, but typing a bit saves me a couple of clicks. I hope someone finds this info useful.
Actually, if you put the site url first followed by a colon and the searh term, it works the same and less typing.

Using your example: kawaskiversys.com: best windscreen

NOTE: this only works in Chrome

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
++10

we are happy with the same questionsss.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

i guess i just needed to vent on a count of almost getting my leg crushed by some doofus.

1997 KLR 650

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post

Machog
Can I get an "Amen!"? Anybody? Bueller? Esp, the part about the site grinding to a halt. This forum is more than just a data base of infor on the Versys. It's a community of sorts, and we become even more so by just shooting the sh#t, even if we said basically the same things last week.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
If a post looks like an old subject, you can leave it and go on, or try to help whoever. Pretty easy...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode