No more bashing my Harley or Sold my Harley to Flo - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No more bashing my Harley or Sold my Harley to Flo

Last Thursday night (8 Sept.) While riding east bound on I80 in Ohio at approx. 70mph in a down pour I was changing from the center lane to the right lane. The front wheel bounced on the seam. Hole? Snake? Don't know. Went into a real hydro plane tank slapper. My last thought before going down was Holy Sh*t I saved it. Well obviously not quite. I low sided on the left side. Releasing the scoot as soon as I was on the pavement. The next time I saw it Big Black was on her right side throwing sparks like the fourth of July. When I thought I was done sliding I tried to get up only to find that I was still moving. I did a little tumbling act and ended up on my hands and knees. After looking to my right and seeing two semis and a car(3 lanes) I literally crawled asap off the right side of the interstate. The scoot ended up on its right side with its wheels up against the concrete barrier.

27 911 calls and $100 ticket later I continued on for another 120 miles to Mendon, Oh. where I spent the night. Friday I made it to my destination near Boston. Leaving Sunday afternoon I finished my trip Monday night at home.

Thursday the bike had an one hour appt. with the Progressive Claims Adjuster. Friday afternoon I found out that they had totaled the bike and my riding gear.

Having walked away completely uninjured was a miracle. Having ridden the scoot to Boston and then home approx. 1800 miles post crash. Is unbelievable.

Progressive has been more than generous with the settlement.

Ride Safe out There

Linky to some pics taken in my driveway today!

P.S. the trip otherwise was absolutely fantastic. Met some old and new friends!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sounded like a wild ride. Glad your OK. $100.00 ticket??? Let me guess they came up with too fast for conditions.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Sounded like a wild ride. Glad your OK. $100.00 ticket??? Let me guess they came up with too fast for conditions.

Nope!

Failure to control

lol

Ride em if ya got em!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Hate how they total bikes for fairing damage. cracked fairing=totaled b/c oem fairing is so ridiculously expensive. Glad you made it out okay! the iron hog kept ya safe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
Hate how they total bikes for fairing damage. cracked fairing=totaled b/c oem fairing is so ridiculously expensive. Glad you made it out okay! the iron hog kept ya safe
It had "surface" damage all the way around. The killer was the frame was cracked where the engine guards are bolted to the frame. Basically if you look at the pics you can see that the guards slides up behind an attached bracket. Then is bolted through that bracket. The welds holding on the bracket were cracked. Being that it is part of the frame it calls for the frame to be replaced. At a price tag of over $4K

Thanks!

I do believe that the engine guards and bag guards save me quite a bit of pain. I also believe that my Hi Viz Saved my life by letting me be seen. And not get run over.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Right on, Bob... Glad you're still alive and well.

A old friend of mine died today in his fiery apt after he passed out while smoking... He did smoke a lot of heavy stuff for a very long time.
RIP Steve.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

So sorry for your loss.

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode