Google Chrome I so wanted to hate you - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Google Chrome I so wanted to hate you

But I can't. I have a hatred of third party browsers in Enterprise environments, love Firefox from a single user standpoint but hate managing it for work. I start hearing rumors about Chrome being the next third party browser to support, so I grab the latest build after some research to get a head start on the solving future headaches if it happens.

My main gripes with supporting Firefox and other third party browsers for the past 7 years:

No MSI installer so I have to repackage everything
No ADM, ADMX, ADML templates to centrally manage settings
SharePoint (I hate SharePoint but I have to support it) login
Backend management consoles to manage servers and appliances usually don't work

So knowing these things I download Chrome and I prepare for the inevitable frustrations I know I'm going to encounter.

First thing that got me going "hmm this might not suck so bad", Google distributes an Enterprise Version in an MSI format. Ok whatever some companies do that and usually I have to mod them heavily sometimes.

Next thing I see on the Enterprise page is management templates for Active Directory (why firefox missed this boat I will never know). I download the zip file pop it open and to my surprise it has ADM templates, ADML templates, deploy-able Apple policies and Linux policies. I'm in Engineer heaven at this point.

SharePoint time, in most browsers pass through authentication (you sign into Windows and it uses your network account session to log into SharePoint) doesn't usually work on third party browsers. I go to click the log in button and realize I'm logged in...

So now I'm angry, because this is going too well. Firefox drives me nuts with things like SharePoint. So I am now intent on finding something to hate so I can be an angry engineer. I go to set my proxy settings and damnit it uses the system settings that we specified in our Group Policy...

It's to easy and I don't like that because easy in IT means large problems somewhere. I spent two hours throwing scripting tools against the browser to test for vulnerabilities, bugs, and being as nasty as I could. The only problem I found was Project Server 2007 doesn't have a browser check for Chrome and won't load, apparently there is a patch coming out soon for that also.

I then go to load the Flash plugin, well darnit Google you did it again they integrate Flash into the browser and when Chrome updates the darn Flash version updates without having to deploy a secondary application install.

I so wanted to hate this browser because let's be frank the more applications installed means more work for me, and most times third party applications means headaches, scripting work arounds to increase security or add functions. As I typed this the darn browser has a built in spell checker adding yet another thing I like.

I also spent last night searching for anything security related that would throw a red flag. I found some issues but they have all been fixed and relatively quickly also.

Today I get to play with the group policy templates and I'm going to hammer the browser some more in the Apple and Linux environment to see just how secure it can be. I'm hoping I can find something that makes me hate Chrome in some way because if I don't it ruins my salty desktop engineer attitude! I'm supposed to be angry and distrustful at third party applications, I am not supposed to like them.

I'm amazed that I'm given something that is easily deploy-able, managed and maintained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Welcome to the club

I don't use it for all the technical stuff as you were saying, but it came installed on my laptop and as of about 2 years now? it's been wonderful, have yet to have a gripe with G-crome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

This is how my day seems to go with most new applications some genius wants.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7Xh0m_Oco
As an avid MAC hater, that video made my day, thanks for that
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:

Oh yes and as someone who edits on a nonlinear (Avid) system I was ecstatic when they changed platforms to PC....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM

So....I guess your saying I should really consider dumping firefox and give Chrome a go?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
So....I guess your saying I should really consider dumping firefox and give Chrome a go?
I would consider it a viable alternative. The initial post was more related to work. I'm going to try it at home over the weekend. I would love to hear about some hate for it because I'm trying to not like it and remain unbiased but the more I use it the more I actually like it.

How am I supposed to be an angry IT guy if they make me like the product!?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM

I can't comment from any professional-use standpoint, but I've been using Chrome ever since I went Android on the phone... the cloud, you know.

I like it. I like it better than anything else I've tried.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Chrome does some weird UI stuff that peeves me a little. Mostly, I think they took the streamlining of the interface a little bit too far. It probably makes cross-platforming easier, but why no drop-down address bar? Also, everyone else is following suit; IE and Opera have both gone all Chrome-looking. Opera even took away the address drop-down button! (at least you can still get it with the down arrow). Also, it doesn't like to load YouTube videos on my work machine, and it has a tendency to load Gmail weirdly slow. WTF? Those are even Google products. And why is it such a memory hog? Good to hear it's really well-done on the back end, but the front end could use some work, I feel.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Awesome.

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Chrome has always seem to slow way down about 1 month or two after install. I will stick to Firefox.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM

You know what they say "Chrome won't get you home".

Just kidding, you guys are too smart for me to even follow the conversation. I know it's a browser, but when you start talking about "UI's" and "Avid's" I quickly learn how computer challenged I am.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode