Bogus Ticket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Bogus Ticket

I received what think is a bogus ticket yesterday, on the morning ride to work. Yesterday it was raining all day, people around here seem to drive slower in rain. Iím on a country road with a speed limit between 45 to 55mph depending on the area. Iíve been following a car that is doing 35 mph, for the past 2 miles, about Ĺ mile back I pass a state troop waiting at stop sign from a side road, he pulls out behind me. About 1 mile up the road is a passing zone, speed limit on this part of the road is 55 mph, car is still going 35 mph. Itís a single yellow line and broken yellow line passing zone, as I get to the passing zone, I pull out and pass the car, not going over 55 mph. Just as I get pass the car, the LEO pulls out passes the car and pulls behind me, and puts his lights on. I pull off the road about ľ mile up. The Leo states I crossed the center line before the passing the zone stated and gave me a ticket for passing on a double yellow line. I really do thing this is a bogus ticket, I plan to fight this one.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Definitely fight that one. Ask to see the video? If no video then it's your word against his. That is kind of a dumb ticket anyway! I find it hard to believe he gave that ticket unless he was short on his quota? You should win!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
... about Ĺ mile back I pass a state troop waiting at stop sign from a side road, he pulls out behind me. ...
I would fight it but anytime itís just your word vs. a LEO itís a tough nut to crack because most judges will give the benefit of the doubt to the cop.

In court I would try to get the LEO to acknowledge that you passed him when he was at the at the stop sign (and be specific about which crossroad it was) and that he then pulled out behind you... That will establish that you knew he was behind you all along and as such would have had to be nuts to cross the double yellow...

Good Luck!

PS edit:
You might even mention that as a former Eagle pilot maintaining a high level of SA (Situational Awareness) is part of your DNA. `Of course I knew he was there. I make a point of always knowing where ALL the potential threats areí.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 09-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM

as with any ticket, go to the court to fight it if there is any doubt in your mind. You have to pay for the court fees anyways in the ticket fee, so why not show up and let them at least reduce the fine.

I got out of a BS $700 move over law ticket in suwanenee georgia once.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Depending on how your state deals with contested tickets you may be able to argue the case before the DA office with out going to court. I did this a few times in CT and got out of the tickets completely because I made my case. If your state doesn't offer this then I would still fight it...sounds like he just needed to fill a quota or didn't like bikers...

Had a Statey follow me for a while one day....I turned up an obscure road off the main road and he followed so I knew he was tailing me waiting for me to screw up. This road goes out to the middle of no where and he eventually gave up and turned around.. I figure he ran the plate found out there was no warrants and no other issues with my license so he gave up. I like taking LE on magical mystery tours
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Fight it, accept nothing but a decision in your favor.

I've had LOTS of traffic stops, but one sticks out. Years ago, I had a state boy stop me one evening and accuse me of riding under the influence. It was a little past 10pm. I had just come out of class at the university I was studying at and had a backpack full of books on my back. I asked him if he thought I took my books to parties and this inflamed him. It was probably the wrong thing to say at that moment. He gave me a breathalyzer test and it came up obviously negative. He then wrote me up with a written warning of all things. I gave him the what for and he said to get out of his car (he had demanded I sit in his car to take the breath test). He peeled out squalling tires and all and left. I geared back up and left, but noticed up the street he had ducked into a drive way. After I went past him, he pulled out behind and rode my rear wheel so close I might have been able to reach back and touch the hood of the trooper car. It scared me big time; I knew this guy was nuts and pulled into the nearest drive I could which was not close enough at that moment. How ya figure the story would have gone had he run me down...

I guess there's loons in every profession.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Fight it, accept nothing but a decision in your favor.

I've had LOTS of traffic stops, but one sticks out. Years ago, I had a state boy stop me one evening and accuse me of riding under the influence. It was a little past 10pm. I had just come out of class at the university I was studying at and had a backpack full of books on my back. I asked him if he thought I took my books to parties and this inflamed him. It was probably the wrong thing to say at that moment. He gave me a breathalyzer test and it came up obviously negative. He then wrote me up with a written warning of all things. I gave him the what for and he said to get out of his car (he had demanded I sit in his car to take the breath test). He peeled out squalling tires and all and left. I geared back up and left, but noticed up the street he had ducked into a drive way. After I went past him, he pulled out behind and rode my rear wheel so close I might have been able to reach back and touch the hood of the trooper car. It scared me big time; I knew this guy was nuts and pulled into the nearest drive I could which was not close enough at that moment. How ya figure the story would have gone had he run me down...

I guess there's loons in every profession.
I would have hit the brakes, saying you saw a small animal in the road and let him hit me. Rear ending even for an LEO is just as bad as for a regular person.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

interesting ticket... however i do know that posted speed limits are based on day time driving with perfect weather, no sun glare either. So for example if he had given you a speeding ticket for doing 55 in a 55 it would be justified because of bad weather. It would also be interesting if passing had similar rules, not allowed during bad weather. It would make since because visibility is down it would be much harder to see if a vehicle was coming the other direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode