Spkldoe, adventure rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spkldoe, adventure rider

Abandoning all adult responsibilities, Sunday morning of Labor Day Weekend found spkldoe and me astraddle Alegany setting out to visit Briery Knob and Hills Creek Falls. We made our way up and over several ridges, stopping momentarily to commune with a very friendly saddleback sow, then onward to a pit stop at Droop Mountain State Park Headquarters.

We pointed Alegany up Briery Knob, a 4500’ summit on Black Mountain in the Monongahela National Forest near the Pocahontas/Greenbrier County line. The parent ridge divides drainages of the Cranberry and Cherry Rivers to the north and west from Hills Creek of the Greenbrier River to the east. Briery Knob Prominence was once the site of a lookout tower where dutiful sentinels once watched carefully over the land for signs of fire during the biannual seasons. The fire tower has been replaced by a solar-powered telecommunications weather monitoring facility. Outside the Mon, just to the south and west, is an extensive area of commercial forest. Timber and coal resources have been heavily extracted for many years, leaving a highly fragmented and degraded landscape though moonscape seems more apt. Industrial beasts have constructed and maintained a permanent inter-county dirt road system that calls to adventurous motorcyclists and ATV riders.

Hills Creek, a headwater of the Greenbrier River, is a designated scenic area. An elaborate trail leads into a deep canyon where visitors, immersed in temperate deciduous highland forest, marvel three waterfalls including WVs second highest. The current summer drought has reduced flows of highland streams to a trickle, a situation set to be remedied in the opposite extreme as Tropical Depression Lee prepares to dump heavy rain across the region. About half way down the trail, spkldoe’s fuel injection system began to act up (perhaps too much mocyclin’ and not enough trailin’?), so the middle falls appears in the video. Shown is a web rendering of the often photographed lower falls during typical late summer/early fall flow…

Followin’ our hike, we headed back up to Briery Knob Road via Bear Run to seek the south fork of Cherry River drainage. Three lefts, a right and 30 miles of forest road as the South Fork matured found us in Richwood, WV. We stopped for a long overdue visit with a lifelong friend before rolling south on WV 20 to the comforts of home.

Montani Semper Liberi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Nice area and great video of the ride. Looks like you guys found a great way to beat the heat.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Looks like you guys found a great way to beat the heat.
You must have been reading my mind. It was still humid up high, but at least you could breath.

And thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode