Advice for selling my Harley? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Advice for selling my Harley?

As some of you saw in my intro post, I have to sell my current bike in order to buy my Versys. It is a custom 2004 Harley sportster chopper with less than 4000 miles. I have placed an ad in the local news paper, and listed it on craigslist, CycleLeeg, motorcycle scan, cycle trader, the thrifty nickle, and ebay classifieds. I've posted a fliers at work, and at the shop that customized it.

I am making myself crazy trying to sell this bike, and I have not had a single person contact me about it.

I have close to $16000 into this bike, and I am only asking $6,500. Is my asking price too high? I could take a little less, but it seems like a pretty good price for a custom chopper.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this thing sold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 PM

is this it?

If so it's unique with a limited buying pool IMO.
good luck

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have you checked with a kawasaki dealership to see what kind of a trade-in you could get on a new versys. Might get what your asking for...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
is this it?

good luck
Yup, that is it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 AM

Drop a zero off your asking price.
I'd still try and talk you down though....LOL
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 AM

It takes time to sell a bike. I can tell you this. Every MC and car I have ever sold was advertised on Craigslist, local forums & papers. Not once was I contacted via those ads. Every single one sold do to a passer by seeing it parked at the end of my driveway with a for sale sign attached. They stop, I give them a few minutes to look it over & I walk out to say hi. No pressure, just honest answers.

I happen to live in a neighborhood that is a short cut to another main road so I get plenty of traffic. Usually I hear "My friend saw this parked here and told me to come see it".

Even though I am not in the market for an addition to the stable, I slow and look at every bike for sale privately. If it is something I am really interested in, I stop and talk. If I were to happen onto a smoking deal on a Kawasaki KLX250SF or a Suzuki TU250.....

My point being, park it every day in a high traffic area. Seeing in person beats the hell out of seeing an advertisement.

You always have the trade option at the Kawi dealer. I have no clue what the trade value would be. Usually not what you can get from a private sale.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM

My best advice resonates with that above. Maybe get it down to some bike nights for that particular audience and put a for sale sign on it. People can really look the bike over and you might find an impulsive person that has to have it. Good luck and be patient

Mike
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I talked to the guys at pyrotech, (the shop that chopped it) and they said they would be happy to let me park in front of their shop with a sign on it. They even said they would roll it into the show room and store it on nights when I cannot come and get it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately, I don't think that style of bike and the 883 motor are that popular today. Looks like the big tire, custom apes, retro look is what is in with the 103 and larger engines. Why don't you keep it and add the Versys to your stable. That bike is so custom that you have a very limited audience so it will take time. A lot of guys I know would rather buy a bike and custom it themselves than buy one already done.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM

It's very cool bike and you made it the way you wanted it. Old school chopper, I like it.
Swapping out the rear wheel for a spooked one would add continuity of theme.
Sorry it's not the input your looking for.
If you still love it, keep it and own multiple bikes.
Although you just need the right buyer to find it and it will be sold.
Blue book value + ?
Hope you don't mind me grabbing the pictures and posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
......Why don't you keep it and add the Versys to your stable. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
is this it?

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99314654_1thumb_550x410.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	12258   Click image for larger version

Name:	99314654_2thumb_550x410.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	12259  

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 08-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Money is just too tight to have two bikes right now. I drove it down to the Kaw dealership today to see about a trade in. The dealership said my asking price was right on the money, but they don't take trades on Harleys. They offered to take it on consignment and try to sell it for me though. I might take them up on it if I don't get any takers soon.

I've already gotten some attention by putting it out in front of the custom bike shop with a for sale sign on it. There are two people coming to look at it there this weekend, and one of the shop owners is going to take it to an event this sunday. Here's hoping next week will bring good news!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWilliams View Post
Money is just too tight to have two bikes right now. I drove it down to the Kaw dealership today to see about a trade in. The dealership said my asking price was right on the money, but they don't take trades on Harleys. They offered to take it on consignment and try to sell it for me though. I might take them up on it if I don't get any takers soon.

I've already gotten some attention by putting it out in front of the custom bike shop with a for sale sign on it. There are two people coming to look at it there this weekend, and one of the shop owners is going to take it to an event this sunday. Here's hoping next week will bring good news!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:

I think that the parking it in front of the shop will ultimately get you the best results, but maybe the ad can...if you take about 3/4 of the words out. Wordy ads do not help you, they often hurt you. If it were me, this is all it would say:

"2004 Harley Sportster Custom. Professionally customized 2004 Sportster XLC Chopper. Chopped and customized professionally by Pyrotech Kustom Cycles. Flat black paint, custom pin striping, BUBS jug hugger performance exhaust, lowered rear suspension, stretched back bone with an old school window neck. Needs nothing. Over $16K invested, sacrifice at $6,500.00. 618-***-****"
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Hopefully your leads work out for you, good luck selling and getting yourself a versys. I don't have any better advice for you that hasn't already been given above.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I used the wordier ad for craigs list and a slightly shorter version for few other websites. Any fliers or printed ads that I have done are cut down similar to what you wrote up, but I like your write up better. If you don't mind I am going to use it to update a few of my listings. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyDriver View Post
I think that the parking it in front of the shop will ultimately get you the best results, but maybe the ad can...if you take about 3/4 of the words out. Wordy ads do not help you, they often hurt you. If it were me, this is all it would say:

"2004 Harley Sportster Custom. Professionally customized 2004 Sportster XLC Chopper. Chopped and customized professionally by Pyrotech Kustom Cycles. Flat black paint, custom pin striping, BUBS jug hugger performance exhaust, lowered rear suspension, stretched back bone with an old school window neck. Needs nothing. Over $16K invested, sacrifice at $6,500.00. 618-***-****"
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I used the wordier ad for craigs list and a slightly shorter version for few other websites. Any fliers or printed ads that I have done are cut down similar to what you wrote up, but I like your write up better. If you don't mind I am going to use it to update a few of my listings. Thanks!
No worries...happy to help. It is funny, the more information you give people, the more desperate they think you are. I do not totally understand the psychology of it, but if you give a little good info, stand firm on price, and do not act like you have to sell anytime soon (Even if you do...) things go your way.

I have tried it both ways, and the fewer pics, the less said, the better the response. I sold a 21" cut lawn mower today. Put it on Craigslist this afternoon. Already gone at full asking price. There was not much to the ad, a few pics, gone. Vehicles are tougher, because you have to find "That Guy" who wants what you have, understands the love you put into it, and wants to keep it just like it is, or make some minor improvements but not much else.

I had an '08 XR650 Supermoto, had it in craigslist a while, wasn't impatient, ended up trading some cash and the XR for the 09 Versys...and I think I made out really well. Patience make the difference.

I wish you all the best. Be patient, "That Guy" is out there...and he wants your bike.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

My bike finally sold! I am meeting the new owner at the bank tomorrow to sign the title over and pick up the cash. I will be going straight to the Kaw dealer to pay for my Versys. It will probably be monday before I actually get to pick it up, but I am still bouncing off the walls excited!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted and

So your long wait is over and to the family of the V..

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 AM

That's great news! Congrats on selling the Harley and welcome to the Versys Club. I have little doubt you'll soon be in love with your new ride and most of us are.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Man, congrats! Have fun on your new bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode