Ride prepping - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride prepping

So I'm going to take the V on a trip from MD to Charlotte NC. Round trip is about 800+ miles.

Planning to leave on a Thursday or Friday and stay still Sunday. Aside from pre-ride checks/maintenance and a few articles of clothing for the weekend. Any advice on things I should pack? Most will be highway roads. Plan on taking 15/340 then cutting over to 81 or 29 (haven't decided yet which I will enjoy more. I know the 81 corridor well from a car standpoint so food/rest stops/gas are no problem.

So far this looks like a go for me and I'll hopefully have some great weather the weekend I am toodling out. Barring anything unforeseen coming up that requires my attention I'll be hitting the road. If all goes well I'm going to try and do MD to Tampa next year. Then in 2013 I'm going to go from MD to San Francisco to cross the Golden Gate bridge.

This is my first trip in preparation for my big trip in late spring of 2013.

So far I've got a list:

Washrag (roll it up with a socket wrench, my 8 common metric bits, an adjustable wrench and socket screw driver with 8 bits in inside the base)
Tire pressure gauge (always under the seat anyway)
Camel-Bak to go on the tank (wife is going to help me fab up a strap system)
Towel (never leave home without one)
One Leatherman multi tool (never leave home without one of those either)

Most likely I'll be using my soft bags, since I'm trying to set the priority on farkles to the lowering kit and installation tools I need to pick up. Unless I find a killer deal on the givi e21's that is.

Already decide I'll wear my bike shorts inside my riding pants. Gel seat + foam butt padding equals comfy for my rear. Got to test it out a week ago on a nice ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
wet weather gear
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM

A throttle lock of some sort

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Kiss

Dont overthink it,
two underwear (underarmour or similar)
two shirts (underarmour or similar)
two socks
Wet weather gear
misc. tools
towel & tootbrush
wear the camelback
put camera, wallet, candies or snacks in tank bag.
are you camping or doing the continous loop?

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
Dont overthink it,
two underwear (underarmour or similar)
two shirts (underarmour or similar)
two socks
Wet weather gear
misc. tools
towel & tootbrush
wear the camelback
put camera, wallet, candies or snacks in tank bag.
are you camping or doing the continous loop?
My tank bag is now a tail bag with a cargo net. I bought my tank bag for my last motorcycle and it fit perfectly. Sadly the Versys doesn't like it on the tank so to the tail it goes.

Funny you mention Underarmour. when I ride I wear an underarmour long sleeve or t-shirt depending on the temp. Pricey stuff but the benefits are amazing. For early spring (sub 40's) I wear them under my jeans and gear and ride in. So far I've found I can be pretty warm with just heavy leather gloves, jeans, textile/mesh jacket with thermal liner in it and underarmour long sleeve and tights.

I'm not to sure I want to wear the camelbak I've tried backpacks once. I felt like my jacket was too bulky and Lord/Allah/Buddha forbid I go down I just don't think I want something on my person like a pack or camelbak. Water is pretty hard when you go down on it, had the misfortune of a rope snap at 20 feet and landed on a camelbak about 6 years ago. The initial impact sucked and when it burst I was wet.

Wallet is always in my inner jacket pocket. I have a very slim wallet so it fits in my inner pocket with the laminated registration and insurance cards

I'm taking a pit stop at my dad's house in Charlotte for his birthday. So nice leisurely ride in and leisurely ride back. With a 1 night or two stay at his house depending on when I get to Charlotte. I may take the long way in and just enjoy the scenery. If I do I'll KOA it with a sleeping bag.

I was showing him pictures of the Versys (emailed him them while he was on the phone) and he was saying there is a gent he works with who has one and he thinks its the same color as mine. He has some friends with motorcycles and I might be able to hook up with them for a ride on Saturday.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM

A spare clutch cable, chain lube and compact tire repair kit and pump would be good additions...

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Ziploc Bags (for all those things that REALLY donít like getting wet).

For Visor DeBugging I carry a wet sponge (in a Ziploc bag) and you already have the towel

A flashlight (LED wearable Head-Lights are the best)

A Cellphone (in case all else fails)

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM

I know it sounds pretty morbid, but I felt better having created an "In Case of Emergency" letter I keep in my jacket.

The letter is in a ziplock bag and contains my name, blood type, an indication I am not allergic to any meds, my health insurance info, emergency contact name and organ donor consent.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM

+1 on the tire repair kit. You can get by with a plug kit & some co2 cartridges.

Don't leave home without it!

Good luck and ride safe,
Dan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Tire repair kit and throttle lock.

Make sure your tire repair kit has everything you need. Mine didn't come with a small pair of pliers or cutters to dig the nail out nor did it come with a razor blade to cut the plugs flush.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Tire repair kit and throttle lock.

Make sure your tire repair kit has everything you need. Mine didn't come with a small pair of pliers or cutters to dig the nail out nor did it come with a razor blade to cut the plugs flush.
Thats why I love my Leatherman
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Bulbs

I always carry a spare headlight and tail light bulb. Nothing sucks more than having a headlight bulg go out on you at night. Depending on where you are, can be downright terrifying.

On a trip from Vegas to Dallas (home), I was pulled over for speeding and because my tail light was out. I asked the officer to give me five minutes in an effort to reduce my damages. He agreed. I pulled out my spare bulb and tool kit and changed the bulb. The trooper was so impressed he let me off with a warning.

Sometimes it pays to be prepared in more ways than one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode