Freekin' Bees!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Freekin' Bees!!

Went for a little ride to the dentist this morning...about 35 miles each way.

On the way back, I got hit in the neck by some kind of a large bug that I only barely saw before impact. Ouch!!

About 5 miles later, at the base of my throat, I am being skewered by something!! Ahhhh that hurts.....60 mph and surrounded by cages.....Ahhhh. It felt as if it could have been a Pterodactyl!

Got home a few minutes later, and see the tennis ball sized red blotch and the target-like point of stingage.

So I popped a couple of Benedryl and am waiting.....(hoping for no reaction) but the little thing hurts!!

I think I need a hug.

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE

Last edited by zgfiredude; 08-05-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Hopefully your not allergic..

I been hit by some monstrous bugs.....could almost see the terror in their eyes just before they crashed into the faceplate.....took one in the shoulder at 75mph felt like I was shot.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Lol, that is the worst. I got hit by a june bug going about 70 in west virginia the other day. Nothing beats my friend running into a bat that survived the impact and started climbing his mesh jacket towards his face. Watching him flail around trying to get it off, hilarious,hah.

Mike
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Talking A bugs life!

Ya..last year i got stung by a bee right between the eyes...my visor was up and i was wearing my sunglasses..he hit my glasses right above my nose and the only part that was still alive? yep..his butt...so he decided to have the last laugh and stuck me ..its hard to describe what happened the next 10 minutes..but lets just say i ride with my visor down more...lololol....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ouch, I feel your pain. A long, long, long time ago, while in undergraduate school, I rode a '57 Harley Sportster flathead (and yes, it was a pretty crummy bike). Still, weekends usually found me riding through the countryside for relaxation, wearing an open face helmet.

On one ride I was hit just to the left of my nose by what had to have been a 17 pound June bug made of depleted uranium - or so it seemed - and I still bear the scar. It looks something like the scar on Harrison Ford's chin. Unfortunately the rest of me doesn't - look like Harrison Ford that is.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
... a 17 pound June bug made of depleted uranium...
"DU June bug"...I like the analogy. I will probably say I saw it on a forum the first two times I use it...after that it is all mine...

That is the rule you know...you have to give credit twice, then you are free to use the saying without application of credit.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I think I need a hug.
OK..

Never had a bee problem on the bike, but had one fly in my open car window and went down my back between the shirt and my back. Leaned back on the little bugger and got nailed in the back.

I have however gotten bitten by something under my jacket on the bike. Kept feeling burning type pains. I squeezed my jacket & shirt every time it bit me and after about 9 whelps, I must have killed it. All while riding in a poker run.. Kept my mind on the road and one hand on the throttle while my left hand was all over. Never found a carcass. Painful but a funny memory. My riding buddies thought it was hilarious.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Carpenter bees hurt at 75 MPH, but they don't sting (thank God because they are huge and would have a stinger the size of a cruise missle). I had a giant bruise on my throat from one that just finally went away after 2 weeks.

It has me looking for a jacket with a higher neck.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

It has me looking for a jacket with a higher neck.
Well, it still hurts, no real change, but I have taken more Benadryl.

If my throat closes and I don't make it back to you all tomorrow, It's been nice knowing ya'

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM

I was riding at about 35mph with my modular helmet face shield in the up position when I just barely caught a glimpse out of my left eye of something coming straight at me. It turned out to be a yellow jacket or wasp, it got trapped between my temple and the helmet, really pissed it off. It hit me once in the temple, then again up high on my cheek bone and then on my jaw line before I was able to stick my finger inside the helmet and kill the little bastard. This all took place in about 2-3 seconds just about long enough to feel like I had 3 lit matches jammed into my helmet, hurt like hell.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Back in the mid-60s I was riding my Triumph w/ a gal on the back, and being a gentleman, had given her my helmet to wear, so I had just sunglasses when I took a BIG bee right between my eyes!

Didn't sting, but my eyes were full of bee-guts!

Then in '70 I was in NZ, just walked out of their museum when I felt my pen sticking into my chest, so reached over to move it - NO PEN! It was a bee stinging me.

A bunch of school kids on an outing got to see a guy getting out of his shirt REALLY quickly!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
If my throat closes and I don't make it back to you all tomorrow, It's been nice knowing ya'
zgfiredude - are you still with us?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Then in '70 I was in NZ, just walked out of their museum when I felt my pen sticking into my chest, so reached over to move it - NO PEN! It was a bee stinging me.

A bunch of school kids on an outing got to see a guy getting out of his shirt REALLY quickly!
At least you will never forget your visit down under ED
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
zgfiredude - are you still with us?
Yep, benadryl and cortisone cream are my friend!

Itches more today, but the swelling is gone thank goodness.

Perhaps I need a huge windshield to hide behind....................na.

Good stories fellas!!

2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Garage
My red '08 Versys is my first bike and I started out riding up in the Jemez mountains where there is this rather large beetle (if I remember correctly it is green and purplish and very hard - I am pretty poor in my color perceptions though). On one of my first rides, I remember something sounding like a rock hitting my faceshield. The immediate addition of some bug guts, made me think it was one of these beetles. There is still a scratch on my faceshield from that little bastard. I learned early on that I do not ride with the shield up at any real speed.

I have not had the pleasure of bees intruding anywhere while I ride. I did almost take a turkey vulture to the chest - I thought it was a raven and I am used to them getting out of the way in time. That was an impressive sight since turkey vultures can get quite large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode