I haven't been in a wreck in a very long time and never before on a motorcyle. So I need some advice.
Here is the description of what happened: (open the attachment to see a google earth image of the incident with a diagram of the events)
1. I was approaching a stopped car on King of Prussia road right after Radnor Chester Road intersection, toward 30
2. The car was stopped in the middle of the road, attempting to turn left, with the left blinker on
3. I came to a stop behind her car(enough to put a foot down), about 20-30 ft behind and decided to go around the stopped car on her right (where the turning lane for right hand turns is)
4. Traveling around 15-20mph (1st gear) I proceeded to go around the stopped car on her right.
5. Once almost past the car she quickly took a right hand turn and clipped the left rear of my motorcycle.
6. I went down and slid on the left for about 15-20ft.
Here is the Gmaps street view of the place where it happened (notice the huge turning lane that she should have been in on the right. http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.043142...,,0,10.12&z=19
I have Rider's Insurance, and since this is a new bike it is mandantory full coverage. I did not sustain any permanent injuries but did go to the doctor to get a full check up on Friday. Basically what I need yall's help with, is these questions:
- How long does a police report normally take?
- if they total it, are they going to try to give me the value of it (aka not enough for a replacement)??
- Rider Insurance doesn't provide rental coverage (rental car) because the bike is a recreational vehicle. FYI I ride my V 2300 miles a month.
- The bike slid and sustained minimal damage, just some good road rash all down the left side (from what I could tell) other than it did slide on the engine casing and emptied all its oil after stopping. (does this mean its totalled?)
- I can't see any way that this would not be her fault, am I wrong?
- The gear I was wearing, full revit gear (bout $1k worth of gear), should be covered and replaced right?
- At what point should I think about getting a lawyer? Like, what is the tipping point? I am not too keen about getting sue crazy, but I do not want to be abused. I actually thought about just writing her a letter about the costs that I incurred and letting her handle it from there.
I am in limbo right now. I do not have a police report to definitively say that it was her fault. I didn't miss any days of work but I do have a banged up left leg (the V landed on my foot), a decent gouge on the top of my left knee and a couple good injuries on my left arm (don't look at the pictures if you are squeemish
Thanks for the help
, and I believe that I will be back on the Versys soon. My first things I will get are SWM engine guards and hard cases so the versys can find something else to hold its weight up, rather then my f'n leg.