Need a little advice...bike related. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need a little advice...bike related.

It's a really cool long story, but here's the short version....

My father in law passed away about a year and a half ago...one of his many possessions is a 1959 Harley DuoGlide. He was the original and only owner, and it is in original un-restored condition. It is not beautiful, but it is all there. I'll get some pics in a day or two, it is stored off site.

Any way, as you might imagine, it has been a part of the family for a long time, but I've finally convinced all of the daughters that it is just a bike that none of us wants or needs or is capable of restoring or repairing. It is time for it to find a new home.

I'm throwing it out to my friends here first.......if anyone is at all interested, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you more. I will also post up pics in a couple of days as soon as I have them.

Thanks...

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you are my Son in Law, i will get from my grave to shoot you first.

Keep it to remember the man and his passion and its not just a piece of metal friend, its his soul.

Give it a thought friend. If you lose it, you will also lose the last lingering memories of the man.

No offence meant and just my humble thoughts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I say its best to let it go.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Sounds like it might be worth a chunk of change. Sell it and toast the old man.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't know what your connection to your father in law was but I would have a real hard time getting rid of it and a harder time explaining to my grand kids what happened to great grandpas bike.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions, but the bike is not the only "treasured item" from his past. He will not be forgotten, and we will have many ways to keep his memory alive.

This is just one possession that none of the children are interested in, and is really just taking up space......it seems a shame that it isn't in the hands of another Harley lover that can bring it back to it's former glory. No one is trying to make a pot of moolah on the bike, more importantly we went to get it in the hands of someone that will appreciate an unmolested low mileage original. There aren't many of them around!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM

FWIW, I sold my late father’s old bike last year. It was a ’71 Moto Guzzi that I was never going to restore & ride. It had been off the road for the last 30 years of his life. I initially felt kind of `wrong’ in selling it but after giving it a lot of thought, I came to believe that he would have wanted it to have a good home where it would be restored & put back on the road...

Ask the buyer to send you a picture of it when it's been restored... and then `show' the picture to your father in law.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Thanks for the opinions, but the bike is not the only "treasured item" from his past. He will not be forgotten, and we will have many ways to keep his memory alive.

This is just one possession that none of the children are interested in, and is really just taking up space......it seems a shame that it isn't in the hands of another Harley lover that can bring it back to it's former glory. No one is trying to make a pot of moolah on the bike, more importantly we went to get it in the hands of someone that will appreciate an unmolested low mileage original. There aren't many of them around!

Understood and my apologies.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

No apologies needed......thanks for the input!

2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
You are doing the right thing. Let it go where it will be appreciated. No sense hanging on to something no one alive in the family has the passion for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode