But at least the turtle’s okay - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
But at least the turtle’s okay

So I’m coming down the road when I see this good natured soul trying to get a foot & a half long snapping turtle off the road.

In case you’re not familiar with snapping turtles, they are NOT like the cute little critters that you played with as a kid that were so shy they’d hide in their shell... Snapping turtles are like some prehistoric creature from the ”The Land that Time Forgot”. They’ve got wicked claws, incredibly strong jaws that’ll take a body part off and a remarkably nasty attitude!

And here’s this Good Samaritan standing there in shorts & thongs trying to shoo this little dinosaur away by poking it with a short stick... a short stick that’s getting shorter as Mr. Bad Ass Turtle is biting pieces off it!

So I decide that I better help out before one of them gets hurt, most likely the guy who’s headed for the nickname “nine toes”...

I put the kickstand down, take note that it’s a slight – slight – bit of a downward slope... and decide that `it’ll be alright'... And as I’m walking away from the bike I hear it hit the pavement!!!

A broken clutch lever & foot peg (replacements are cheap enough) , a rash on the radiator shroud (I was planning on painting it black anyway) and a nasty rash on the tank fairing (I was NOT planning on painting that!).

Oh well... I got careless, I screwed up... and I will have to pay the price... but at least the turtle’s okay

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Sorry to hear about the bike, but that picture is awesome!

Glad to see your in good spirits about it. I wouldn't have gone near that thing, lol

Mike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiVA76 View Post
... Glad to see your in good spirits about it. I wouldn't have gone near that thing, lol
Mike
You have to be really careful where you grab them. Too far back and they can get you with their hind claws (that's bad) but they have a surprisingly long neck, so too far forward and they can reach you with their jaws — and that's very, VERY BAD!

To be honest, I wasn’t in such good spirits at the time ... but I figure that I can’t `un-ring the bell’, so I can either let it gnaw at me ... or accept it, learn from it, and laugh it off!

PS. The picture isn't actually THE turtle... but it looks just like him!

Last edited by Hardware; 07-06-2011 at 08:57 AM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Very nice of you to stop and help the turtle and save them. Sorry about the V fall. I was wondering about the pic as I figured you would've taken a shot of the folks you helped as well (thongs).

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Very nice of you to stop and help the turtle and save them. Sorry about the V fall.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
... I figured you would've taken a shot of the folks...
I was really in no mood to take pictures at the time... but for just a moment, I did consider shooting the turtle!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode