Top Gear America Sucks! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top Gear America Sucks!

We can never hope to match the original...just a lame attempt to copy it!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM

Top Gear=British
America + Top Gear = Failure

Therefore, America + British = Failure.

Yep, pretty sure we fought a war to make this Algebra work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Top Gear=British
America + Top Gear = Failure

Therefore, America + British = Failure.

Yep, pretty sure we fought a war to make this Algebra work.
Very nice equation and it still continues.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
We can never hope to match the original...just a lame attempt to copy it!
Well....they are catering to an american audience after-all.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Agree the show sucks. Disagree Americans suck... I don't believe they are making a show American audiences like or want, but what some "producers" THINK American audiences want....

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Like everything else in life, copies rarely equal the original. I tried to watch the American version but kept metering it against the BBC show. Not very fair but I quit after about 5 minutes. Might give it another try next season.

If anyone remembers the first year of the BBC TopGear it was pretty bad as well.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 PM

I will admit it isn't as good as the uk version, but it still is somewhat entertaining. I don't watch it expecting the same personalities as Jeremy, James, and hammond. From what I understand people thought they weren't that good in the begining either. I thought there last show where they went to alaska was pretty good actually. Just my .02

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I love the British show and the hosts. Always been a fan of dry, understated British humour anyway. The American version is still entertaining, just not up to the same standards of as the original.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Just give Top Gear USA a chance, Top Gear the original wasn't as good as it is now when they started. The relationship between Captain Slow, Hamster, and Jezzer evolved after time.

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Agree the show sucks. Disagree Americans suck... I don't believe they are making a show American audiences like or want, but what some "producers" THINK American audiences want....
"I" ...can't help but feel the whole show concept has been sorta dumbed down for the american audience (NO, I don't think americans are dumb in this case and dam the producers for thinking so).

Perhaps second season will clean-up there act a bit...cuz I could never (at this point) stomach watching an entire hour show.

The hosts are trying to be 'hip' and only come across as...not very bright.
If I want juvenile I'll watch 'American Chopper'.
(Photography is pretty poor too...though there where a few times when it seemed a bit more artful).
Time will tell...I haved thrown the baby out with the bath water yet.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Actually we fought two!!! Don't forget 1812
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can't imagine the Yank version ever coming up with an episode as funny as Jeremy and the Reliant Robin. I laughed my a** off over that bit. Not to mention the lorry driver challenge, the home-made caravans, and the car-boats. Only our Brit friends could pull off bits like that, IMHO.

How hard can it be?? Bring out the hammers!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM

I don't know who is producing the programme in the US, but the UK version spends a heck of a lot on production. the number of cameramen, the pre and post production work and so on. It comes across as 3 friends doing silly things and chatting amiably amongst themselves and seemingly occasionally including the studio audience let alone the viewers. its very very carefully scripted and very carefully produced.

if the US version is being done on the cheap it will miss that gloss and glitz which masks the real driving force behind the programme. for excatly the same reasons that most UK produced shows always look tepid and half baked when compared to some US shows, Top Gear does it in reverse.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I get the feeling I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the British version is that good either. Just not that interesting to me.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I can't imagine the Yank version ever coming up with an episode as funny as Jeremy and the Reliant Robin. . . . .How hard can it be??

IBA # 49372
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Jeremy's face always cracks me up. The one in the video I posted where's he smashed against the door of the robin, and when he drives the Ariel Atom.

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM

I agree that TopGear US isn't that great, but its something. I'm excited for The Car Show which debuts on Speed tomorrow night.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM

just like that movie, "girl with a dragon tattoo" ... way better in its original swedish form with subtitles... the american version looks trashy and loses the raw nature of the film.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode