Max Time In The Saddle Per Day? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Max Time In The Saddle Per Day?

Hi y'all. I know the answers I get will vary, but I was hoping for some help in setting my expectations.

It looks like I'll be flying out to eastern Idaho to pick up a Versys then ride it home (around 800 miles). I was thinking that I'd split the time up at around 6 hours each day. Is that too much time on the bike per day? I think I'd go crazy if I had to split the journey into 3 days... what would I do with the extra 8 hours of daylight per day?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

~Vonski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 PM

I have done several 400 mile days, and one day of 523 miles. Stock seat and stock windscreen on all of them. The 523 was a long, long day, but I managed okay. I am sure with an upgraded windscreen life would have been more pleasant.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM

Garage
What you can take will vary. If you are not used to the bike, you will be in for a very sore backside.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM

800 miles, two days, 15 hours of sunshine per day.

Hydrate, eat, rest, should be no problem.

Congratulations, enjoy the ride and the bike!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM

I rode 450 miles today, 2 up on the stock seat, could've road more. The stock seat is fine for me (probably because all of my previous bikes had much worse seats). Ride for an hour or so then take a 5 - 10 minute break, It will increase your daily distance tremendously.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM

One of the beauty things about the V is you can stand up and stretch without stopping, as long as yur not stopping!

One stop between fill-ups is usually enough for me. For 800 miles you may want to stop every hour and a half or so the first day. Take a walk!

At 50 I need to stop more frequently the longer I ride. Knees, back and stuff. Day two even more frequent.

Stand up, change your posture and break often, 2 days should be plenty of time. Back roads are rough on an older body. I hate the superslab personally but 800 miles in 2 days??? I'd take some smooth blacktop in the mix too. Speeds over 55 or 60 the wind buffeting plays a larger factor for me and I tire quicker though.

I'd probably push for 500 mi. day one if you need to do it in two.
Day two for me, I just do less! And more stops!

Did a 600 mi. day as a youngster and it was killer for me then, 500 mile day at my age....not likely!!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
One of the beauty things about the V is you can stand up and stretch without stopping, as long as yur not stopping!

One stop between fill-ups is usually enough for me. For 800 miles you may want to stop every hour and a half or so the first day. Take a walk!

At 50 I need to stop more frequently the longer I ride. Knees, back and stuff. Day two even more frequent.

Stand up, change your posture and break often, 2 days should be plenty of time. Back roads are rough on an older body. I hate the superslab personally but 800 miles in 2 days??? I'd take some smooth blacktop in the mix too. Speeds over 55 or 60 the wind buffeting plays a larger factor for me and I tire quicker though.

I'd probably push for 500 mi. day one if you need to do it in two.
Day two for me, I just do less! And more stops!

Did a 600 mi. day as a youngster and it was killer for me then, 500 mile day at my age....not likely!!!
Grandpa Ron. I didn't know you were a stunter!

That's what the cop told me when I stood up to cross some railroad tracks and enjoyed to breeze so it took 100 yards for me to sit back down.

Fortunately, the fact that I have a clean record and was wearing gear kept me from getting a ticket.

10 hours in the saddle at 55 mph or under is very pleasant. If you are planning on riding on the interstate you will get fatigued sooner on the Versys. Enjoy!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Time in the saddle is highly subjective. I've rode 16-20 hour days and been fine, I've rode 3-4 hour days and been hurting. Depends on the day, the type of riding, the bike, etc. You'll have to find your limits and find where you're comfortable!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM

I agree with everyone else. The only thing I would add is that I usually ride all day, and try to be off the road by dusk due to increased critters. Other than that, ride what's most comfortable for you.
Have a great ride!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM

VIsForVonski, a month ago I went on my first 800+ mile ride with the V around Lake Erie. I had a lot of sightseeing (I understand you may not) and rests planned. The trip was 3 days and I had a great time. Despite the extremely uncomfortable stock seat. Because of the seat there is no way I could have done it in 2 days. I found 300 miles was my personal limit.
IMHO, take your time, enjoy the bike and the part of the world you're seeing.
If you have any interest seeing some roadside oddities check here they will help you rack up the miles and many will leave you with a smile on your face.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Grandpa Ron. I didn't know you were a stunter!

That's what the cop told me when I stood up to cross some railroad tracks and enjoyed to breeze so it took 100 yards for me to sit back down.

Fortunately, the fact that I have a clean record and was wearing gear kept me from getting a ticket.

10 hours in the saddle at 55 mph or under is very pleasant. If you are planning on riding on the interstate you will get fatigued sooner on the Versys. Enjoy!
Stunter, haha, hadn't thought of it like that!

VIsForVonski....it might be best if you bought one of the many fine butt pads available,
sheepskin, airhawk etc. they will help to extend your range, for sure.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 AM

It's hard to say for me...I commute 150 miles a day to work with no fatigue. Cruise control really helps alot.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Garage
500 mile days are not hard, take your time and take breaks. I ride to my parents house a few times a year, it's like 530 from my driveway to their driveway. I can make the run in 8 hours pushing it at 75mph.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I can ride a lot longer if my butt doesn't get too painful ( bought an Airhawk ) and it's not too hot...95+ really gets to me. I max out at 275-300 when it gets that hot. I think if I ever decide to do the hot long rides again I'll invest in a "cool vest".
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Take 3 days and enjoy the scenic route!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyrider View Post
... Ride for an hour or so then take a 5 - 10 minute break, It will increase your daily distance tremendously.
+1

500 miles in two days: absolutely no problem.
My longest rode distance in a day was 720 km (450 ml) on Aprilia Pegaso (one cylinder) with my wife and full load for two weeks camping vacation.
Enjoy your new bike!!

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I can ride a lot longer if my butt doesn't get too painful ( bought an Airhawk ) and it's not too hot...95+ really gets to me. I max out at 275-300 when it gets that hot. I think if I ever decide to do the hot long rides again I'll invest in a "cool vest".
Nick,
You don't need a "cool vest" - just wear a tee-shirt that you've soaked for a couple of minutes in water. I've found I can get close to 2 hours before I need to soak it again, in 100+F. That's under a riding jacket, of course!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 07:03 PM

5 hours daily, then more if i have to go somewhere.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the informative and helpful posts! It seems like we all have different tolerance and comfort levels. But, from what most people are saying, around 400 miles shouldn't be difficult to surmount.

I just picked up an armored mesh jacket and some armored pants as well. I plan on picking up a Camelbak Lobo to use for hydration (and maybe a bit of cooling on my back, too) and will take frequent sight-seeing stops to stretch and hope it all works out!

Baron650, I was hoping to get back home asap so I'm not out any extra nights of hotel fees. I won't be packing up tents, sleeping rolls, etc onto the plane. But, I'll have a full week once I get home to get outfitted. I am thinking I might make a camping trip the same week (maybe to Crater Lake) and take my time then!

Thanks again for sharing all y'alls experiences with me!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I did a 850 miles in 15 hours one day and 550 miles the next day in 10 hours.The baldwin seat was a big help but the Kool Back Belt was also a big factor i've noticed on some recent rides i haven't use the belt and the ride is not as comfortable.
http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode