My Oregon Basic Rider Training Course Experience - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My Oregon Basic Rider Training Course Experience

When I made my first post introducing myself, I mentioned that I was excited to be taking a motorcycle safety course. Now, after having completed it, I wanted to share a bit about my experience.

Disclaimer: The following essay is provided to share my opinions. Please do your own fact checking where local rules/regulations come into play!

To get a motorcycle endorsement here in Oregon, you have to either a) obtain a motorcycle learner’s permit then ride with a buddy who is at least 21 years of age - and only during daylight hours - then take the DMV’s written and riding test when you feel you are ready to take it. Or, b) take and pass a motorcycle safety course then present the certificate of completion to the DMV at which point they will put that all-powerful “M” endorsement on your license. To break it down, you can test through an unfamiliar DMV course on a likely heavier bike, or test on a surface you have ridden on for 7.5 hours through exercises you have specifically practiced.

I am glad I opted to take the basic rider training (BRT) course. One reason is, after having been off a bike for 20 years, I felt a refresher was in order. Secondly, there is a state statute that if you have successfully completed the safety course, insurance companies are required to provide a rider’s discount (for the first couple of years). I felt the course would be a good return on investment in many ways.

The BRT is roughly a combined 7 hours in the classroom and 8 hours on the range. They provide helmets and bikes to train with, which was extremely convenient.

The classroom portion included selecting proper riding gear, the parts of a motorcycle, and the mental parts of riding such as choosing which part of the lane you should ride in for maximum seeing and being seen, identifying obstacles and deciding how best to avoid or overcome them. I remembered the mistakes I made in my youth and how I could have avoided them - like riding in a van's blind spot for a minute then almost getting side swiped as he pulled into the lane I was in. The classroom time alone was worth the fee.

The range portion included an introduction to the bike, how to start it, find the clutch friction zone, how to turn (look where you want to go!), shifting, swerving, etc. We spent a lot of time repeating the exercises, that muscle memory is vital to success. The emergency braking segment caused me all sorts of trouble for the first few minutes, so the repetition is very useful.

I found the class to be very valuable and I would recommend it to anyone who is considering a motorcycle (or scooter!) purchase.

If you want to read about the course I took, you can visit http://teamoregon.orst.edu/TO_Web/brt.html. I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by VIsForVonski; 06-30-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Typo correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM

I took Team Oregon's intermediate course 3 years ago as I also had been away from bike for many years (30?). I found the experience very helpful and fun. Most of us taught ourselves to ride. It is an eye-opening event to have a true professional instructor point out all the things learned wrong.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks for posting, Team Oregon is a great program!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode