Small town & small minded customer service - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Small town & small minded customer service

Just had the misfortune of dealing with the local Honda / Yamaha shop in Cornwall Ontario. I order a pair of givi brackets for my monorack from them because the local kawi shop was unable to place a order with the Canadian distributer for some reason. I was assured it would take only 5 weeks by the owner's son... I waited patiently for 8 weeks! I then call the Canadian distributer to find that there is no pending orders or back orders for these idiots. They say I am being unreasonable and causing trouble! How dare I check to see if they did their job. I have absolutely no respect for a dealer that will stand face to face with me and lie to me...

Years ago the owner of the local Honda shop enrolled his kid in a martial arts class and being as arrogent as his father promptly challenged my daughter to a sparring match. His reasoning being that girls are easy to beat. My daughter is a black belt and beat his a$$ black and blue for his lack of respect. I felt bad for him at the time but I no longer feel sorry for the kid.

Moral of the story is that Cornwall's local Honda dealer is owned by a lying arrogent a$$holes that have no concept of customer service and business with them should be avoided at all cost.

On the bright side the local Kawi dealer can fab up brackets for me by the end of the week.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Why don't you just order stuff online?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Why don't you just order stuff online?

Shipping to canada can be expensive. The postal system in canada has been on strike lately so anything shipped ups or fed-ex they bend you over on. The OP got some reflectors from me which we had to ship ups because of the strike. UPS charged almost $21.00 to ship. then they charged the OP almost another $30.00 to get them on his end. Were talking about a small bubble envelope with 2 round reflectors and the stems.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There is a Givi retailer on ebay. They are based in Calgary and have the cheapest Givi stuff around.

For the Givi saddle bags I would recommend the SW Motech removable brackets though. They are available from a number of places on line. Cheaper US prices more than make up for the slight additional cost of shipping.

The only economical way to ship internationally is the postal service. UPS and Fedex throw in huge custom broker fees at the border that they make the receiver pay on pickup. A lesson I already learned is never ship cross border with a courier company.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

The thing is that I already have the fz477 mono rack and monokey plate. I am just missing two brackets that attach under the versys's rear grab rail.
Late yesterday afternoon the idiot dealer calls me up and say that the national dealer for Givi in Sherbrooke Quebec (which all dealers have to go through, even Calgary) thinks they have found the brackets I ordered and are verifing and will ship puralator tomorrow. Amazing... they found brackets that they can't even find an order for... and only after 8 weeks. I don't think the could find their a$$es with both hands... More like they opened up a new monorack and pulled the hardware.

MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 AM

diablo - i am sorry you had this trouble, but I love the story. Its so karate kid/mr. miagi. Your daughter wooped his son in a karate match and he is still butt hurt over that... DEF a small town issue.

Its wild to think that small towns are very similar regardless if they are in canada or rural georgia.

If you are anywhere near the border, there are tons of places called "mailboxes" that are basically storage units that you can get things shipped to in the states. They are always right below the CA border so you would just have to go down and pick them up and pay whatever duties you pay at the border, if any.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
diablo - i am sorry you had this trouble, but I love the story. Its so karate kid/mr. miagi. Your daughter wooped his son in a karate match and he is still butt hurt over that... DEF a small town issue.

Its wild to think that small towns are very similar regardless if they are in canada or rural georgia.

If you are anywhere near the border, there are tons of places called "mailboxes" that are basically storage units that you can get things shipped to in the states. They are always right below the CA border so you would just have to go down and pick them up and pay whatever duties you pay at the border, if any.
I am about 1/2 mile from the border... in fact my first wife as a US citizen (air force brat) from Kentucky. Her mom is now in upstate NY only about 40 miles from me if I need to ship to an address.

pay duty? ILMFAO

I live next to a reserve that straddles the Canada US border.... nobody pays duty around here.... smuggling is a national sport around here and only surpassed by hockey

I go to the states often to fill up on gas as super is $3.04 a us gal & on this side we are paying $4.94 a us gal for regular. Canada customs even looks the other way when we bring back a couple of 5 gallons cans for the V

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It does make you wonder how some people can stay in business. I imagine they feel that, because they're the only local choice, they can behave as badly as they want and not have to suffer the consequences.

Spreading the word, objectively, on forums such as this may help in the long term to weed out the bad apples. Perhaps?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
It does make you wonder how some people can stay in business. I imagine they feel that, because they're the only local choice, they can behave as badly as they want and not have to suffer the consequences.

Spreading the word, objectively, on forums such as this may help in the long term to weed out the bad apples. Perhaps?
That is exactly how they stay in business. the next Honda dealer is over 100 kms away in Ottawa. Last year I couldn't even get a rear tire for a 125R CBR from them as it was going to be a 4 week wait till they were ready to place an order. Drove to Ottawa and pick it up that day at another Honda dealer. The local dealer has no time to deal with you unless you are buying a new $20,000 bike each year... spend less than that and you are made to feel like a third class customer.

I have had no luck dealing with this guy as far back 10 years ago... I wanted to buy a bike from him back then that he had for sale at $3000. Not a lot of coin to him but still a fair amount for me. When I showed up to buy it and pay in cash I was told to come back tomorrow as he was busy serving a customer! I was so put off I went to the local Kawi shop and bought another bike that day and part of the deal was that the local Kawi dealer phone the Honda dealer to inform him that he just sold me a bike and find out if he still wanted me to come back tomorrow.
No wonder that the local Kawi / Suzuki dealer has gone from start up to one of the largest dealers in eastern Ontario in just 20 Years. The local Honda dealer had the business handed to him by his father who for the record was a nice guy and a great business man... too bad his son has none of his father's personally or business sense.

Last edited by eldiablo; 06-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

i agree, when I get customer service like that I feel the strong urge to remind them that this is 2011 and all it would take is someone posting a bad review of them online and everytime someone tried to look them up they would be associated with that bad service.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Unfortunately it seems to be a trend in the power sport business. The local Honda dealer was awful to deal with...they wouldn't budge on their prices, sales staff arrogant and down right rude....Like they were doing you a favor by selling you the bike.

We got hit bad in this area few years back when we had like 3 years with very little snow which is not normal. It seriously hurt the snowmobile industry and we lost almost every dealer in the area. So now we only have a Harley Davidson dealer any other brand you need to drive at least an hour. One of the sons of the guy that ran the local Suzuki Kawi, Yamaha dealerships opened up his own parts and accessory store so I been giving him my business....they were fare to deal with when they had the dealership...I heard a rumor he was looking into opening a Honda dealership.

Last edited by offcamber; 06-29-2011 at 11:18 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

This is my local Kawi dealer ... check out his business philosophy and he does live by it.

Smile & be friendly, but have a professional attitude.
There are no stupid questions.
Don't lie. People will see right through that in time.

If you don't know, say so and then go find out, Customers will respect that more than lies.
Treat every customer like you would like to be treated.

This is where I bought my V and where the next one will come from too

http://www.bobssuzuki.ca/Home.html

No where in his philosophy does it say piss off your customer by acting superior! Is it any wonder why he is out pacing the Honda dealer 2 to 1 around here.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow the local Honda dealer called (at 10 mins to 5pm... I know for a fact Purolator delivers before 10am to him) to say that he after 8 weeks has the parts.... and for only $32 for 2 brackets and 4 metric bolts
  • Cost of required parts - $32
  • Wait time - 8 weeks
  • Blood pressure medication - $63
  • Aggravation - Free
  • Assembly time - 10 mins
  • Never dealing with this shop again - PRICELESS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0193.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	533.7 KB
ID:	11670  

Last edited by eldiablo; 07-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode