What A Rip-Off - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
What A Rip-Off

Ordered a set of Michelin PR-3's today stock tires still doing good after 7000 miles just want to try something new..

Time for complaint: Called a local Honda/Kawasaki dealership won't say a name but thier located in Paramount CA. on Lakewood Blvd. To get price quote for mount & balance. Was asked if purchasing tires from them or bringing my own. Stated i had my own. Was then told if i had bought tires from them the price would be $70.00 for both but since i had my own the price would be $155.00 for both. WTF i can see paying a minor additional price but more than double. They just lost a future customer i was planning to have my bike serviced there but no chance in hell now.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Isn't there a song called 'Take me back to Texas'

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazjemo View Post
Isn't there a song called 'Take me back to Texas'

Going back to texas was the reason for getting the new tires. Like i stated above the rear still looks good at 7000 but if i have to go at a drop of a hat i want to make sure i won't have tires to worry about. Found some good prices from other places but i always like to do business with the dealerships. But some places seem to make it hard to do business with them these days.

Sure could go for some good BBQ or chicken fried steak right about now.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just set up an appointment with R-Cal racing in Huntington Beach. $80.00 mount & balance on bike and $2.00 disposal fee. Rick was vey professional and helpful on the phone suggested i call jake wilson and have them shipped to thier shop. Wasn't looking foward to riding the V with 2 tires strapped to it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Dale at United Cycle and Sled put my rubber on the rims (brought him both) for $20 a pop. He's a bit out of your way though. Stay away from the stealers and go find a small local mechanic.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM

my dealer had a very competitive Detroit area price.....Both tires; 100 bucks mounted and balanced plus thorough 'off the bike' chain cleaning and re-lube. ( it's the little things that count sometimes).
And what I thought was a reasonable price of 15 bucks to swap out stock rear sprocket for my 43t supersprox.
BTW...they dont have a different price if you bought tires from them or elsewhere.
My Conti's Road Attack 2's came from tirexpress.com

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpifier View Post
Dale at United Cycle and Sled put my rubber on the rims (brought him both) for $20 a pop. He's a bit out of your way though. Stay away from the stealers and go find a small local mechanic.

I agree about the smaller shop. The place i'm taking it too does from oil changes to supercharging and beyond. Like some of the work he has on his web-site. http://www.rcalracing.com/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Wow....My local shop will mount them for $8 a piece...I take them off the bike,and balance them myself....Very easy to do....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM

Heheh!
I mount and balance them myself, it is not difficult.

Local shop wants $35 per wheel (plus taxes) which is reasonable, but that is the amount of money I save each time I do it myself. All the tools paid for themselves about 5 minutes into the second tire that I ever changed.

Look online for how-to videos and start saving a bunch of money.
Changing tires yourself will also remove the inhibition to change half-worn tires for something more appropriate (more offroad for example, or fresh tires before a very long trip) and then change them back when the little adventure is over.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
buy a set of tire irons and some dynabeads and spoon those tires on yourself. It is not a hard job. Grab a milk crate to support the wheel and protect the rotors. Cut up plastic water bottles protect the rim from the tire irons.

Otherwise carry the wheels and new tires down to Cyclegear. They do tires in our area for $20 and will balance for free if you bring in tires you mounted.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yea i know its not a difficult task. Use to change out tires on my motocross bikes in my teens. Would rather take it somewhere and have it done.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Man, I got Screwed. My local shop, where I bought the bike (pre-versys ride) charged me 3 hrs labor to change two tires. 1hr extra each because they were on the bike. The buggers charged me $92.00/hr. That Honda dealer will never get any more of my business.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The link below will give you options in your area to find a shop for tire changes and other services the shop offers.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM

That really is pathetic. They'd rather lose a customer than make $70!? I know I'm fortunate in having an independent mechanic who does it for $15 off the bike.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
That really is pathetic. They'd rather lose a customer than make $70!? I know I'm fortunate in having an independent mechanic who does it for $15 off the bike.

Yep, they lost what would have been for them a good customer because they basically told me with thier procedure that they didn't want my business..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The link below will give you options in your area to find a shop for tire changes and other services the shop offers.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx
This shows a shop 6 miles away that will mount and balance a tire for $35 (off bike). His hourly rate is $70. Pretty good.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
This shows a shop 6 miles away that will mount and balance a tire for $35 (off bike). His hourly rate is $70. Pretty good.

Yea that link is a handy little tool. Just got a call from the shop i found on it letting me know the tires i ordered from jakewilson.com had been delivered and verifying my appointment for tomorrow and making sure of the make model of my bike and verifying the price i was quoted. So far impressed with the way i'm being treated without ever having step a foot in thier shop.

to jakewilson.com also for being able to change the shipping destination from my home to the shop fairly late in the afternoon and shipping out the same day and being delivered 2 days later.

Any feedback on the michelin PR-3's from anyone hear that has them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
I'm in El Paso on a trip and Mr Motorcycle charged me 125$ to install my own tires on my Versys. Plus in a dealership that sells Kawasaki bikes along side others, they seemed to have no clue what my bike was. Not the brand or the model. Pretty crazy. I'll be doing it myself next time.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
I'm in El Paso on a trip and Mr Motorcycle charged me 125$ to install my own tires on my Versys. Plus in a dealership that sells Kawasaki bikes along side others, they seemed to have no clue what my bike was. Not the brand or the model. Pretty crazy. I'll be doing it myself next time.

Reading your post reminded me of a time i was traveling with my mother in the early 70's we were having car troubles and got to a shop. Guy at the station gives her a quote she ok's it. then when he gets through and were ready to pay. Well Well the price is almost double i guess he was use to dealing with weak women traveling by themselves but my mother is no way near a weak woman. He comes up with some lame excuses and my mother just looks him straight in the eye and says "Look i don't mind getting screwed but at least kiss me first" I'll never forget the look on the guys face he rang up the quoted price and handed her the keys.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode