When In California - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When In California

Well I've changed my mind on the subject.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love riding in California just for that reason. Not much traffic my way up here though. My dad though lives in Riverside County and works in Orange County. He commutes on his Goldwing, 40 miles each way, every day. He's nuts because he lane splits like that all the time on his Goldwing
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Very Nice! We don't have many traffic situations like that in Iowa. I noticed one of your brothers took the shoulder in the 5 minute section of the vid. Is that frowned upon more than lane splitting? I need to research this a little more.
Thanks for sharing.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirreltoe View Post
Very Nice! We don't have many traffic situations like that in Iowa. I noticed one of your brothers took the shoulder in the 5 minute section of the vid. Is that frowned upon more than lane splitting? I need to research this a little more.
Thanks for sharing.
It was a CHP officer headed to the cause of the traffic backup a tour bus caught on fire and was gutted out when i went buy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 PM

OK...that makes sense. It is a "no go" in Iowa unless I lane split with with another motorcycle or a bicycle.... Good thing we are outnumbered by hogs here...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Enjoyed that, sat down with my mid afternoon coffee and biscuit to enjoy vid/music.

Two questions I now have

1, noticed a few pick up trucks along the highway, they are huge, i presume that is common in the states to had such big units, my little ford double cab ute looks tiny in comparison.
2, Is the traffic always that congested as there are plenty of lanes but what a line of traffic!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Enjoyed that, sat down with my mid afternoon coffee and biscuit to enjoy vid/music.

Two questions I now have

1, noticed a few pick up trucks along the highway, they are huge, i presume that is common in the states to had such big units, my little ford double cab ute looks tiny in comparison.
2, Is the traffic always that congested as there are plenty of lanes but what a line of traffic!
1. Yes, people here (me too if I could afford one!) like their big trucks. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota...if it's a truck, people will lift the heck out of them here and pay a crank load to do it!

2. Seems there was a bus fire, but in SoCal (where I believe this was) traffic there can be psychotic. I lived in Corona, just east of Orange County for a few years and I'd always travel the 91 freeway to/from OC. At times it's like 6-7 lanes across each way. It's not uncommon for traffic to be at a stand still for hours during certain times of the day. I've even seen it stop n go on a weeknight at 2am!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
1. Yes, people here (me too if I could afford one!) like their big trucks. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota...if it's a truck, people will lift the heck out of them here and pay a crank load to do it!
So its you people burning up the fossil fuel but you do not have to pay $2.20 per litre for petrol or $1.60 for diesel

That is why my wife drives a 1300cc suzuki swift
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was about 45 minutes out of San Diego about 3:00pm heading to L.A. I was pretty sure my window to beat the traffic was good but when i saw this i said oh crap here we go. but after that little hold up it was smooth sailing. Saw a 2011 and a blue 09 versys just right out of san diego.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 AM

Is splitting lane prohibited but tolerated in CA and more general in USA? Is it the same in town and out?

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM

It's a bit nerve racking but something you get used to over time. There's just no way we would sit in 6 lanes of traffic parking lot. Just ride thru.

The traffic is pretty good except during rush hour, on the San Diego freeway, the 91, and the 101 out north. Not bad considering there are something like 23 freeways in the LA basin, and some 10 million cars. There's always an alternate route if you can listen to a report or catch it on the 'net before you depart.

I would go insane if I had to drive to LA every day. My office is less than 5 miles from home, usually go home for lunch every day as well. Try to ride the bike on Fridays.

If you don't leave before 2pm on a Friday afternoon you may as well wait 'till about 8pm or you're just asking to be parked on the freeways out of the basin.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM

I'd be tempted to take the safer route, on the paved shoulder, as the CHP did. Sure the fine may be substantial but dodging those cars and trucks doesn't spell "fun" in my book.

Bet you feel really alive after doing that for 20 min.
Glad I don't have to sit in traffic like that!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Great video on lane splitting. It seems that the only people who think it's stupid and dangerous are those who've never done it before.

I've done it a couple times here in houston although it's illegal here.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Great video on lane splitting. It seems that the only people who think it's stupid and dangerous are those who've never done it before.
Well... I live in California where we can lane split, and I have done it a fair amount on business trips to the Bay Area and LA. Is it stupid? Absolutely in some situations. When I am on the 580 and traffic is moving at 50 mph, I will not risk it. To me, that is stupid and dangerous. However, when I am on the 580 and it is 5:00PM on a Friday, traffic is backed up for miles, and moving 100 feet every few minutes, then I will go ahead and use my bike to my advantage. Is it dangerous? Certainly. How aggressive riders approach it is a personal choice. I have always said "I would rather be a few minutes late than dead." It all comes down to how big your balls are. I would rather feel a bit safer and get my balls home to my wife instead of having her see them smashed on a freeway.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
Well... I live in California where we can lane split, and I have done it a fair amount on business trips to the Bay Area and LA. Is it stupid? Absolutely in some situations. When I am on the 580 and traffic is moving at 50 mph, I will not risk it. To me, that is stupid and dangerous. However, when I am on the 580 and it is 5:00PM on a Friday, traffic is backed up for miles, and moving 100 feet every few minutes, then I will go ahead and use my bike to my advantage. Is it dangerous? Certainly. How aggressive riders approach it is a personal choice. I have always said "I would rather be a few minutes late than dead." It all comes down to how big your balls are. I would rather feel a bit safer and get my balls home to my wife instead of having her see them smashed on a freeway.
Agreed. The first time I did it, I just about peed my pants. It's pretty nerve racking until you get used to it. As a general rule, I won't lane split unless traffic is below 20 mph and traffic is backed up farther than I can see. I'll also merge back in if I see any open spots in one of the lanes. Rideshare.org has some good general guidelines too: http://www.laneshare.org/ca.htm

There's no law in California stating that lane sharing is illegal. Although, there's no law saying that it is legal either.

Bottom line: I heard this in my MSF course, that the moment you get on a motorcycle, everything you do is a calculated risk. There are a variety of levels of risk. Some I take, some I don't. There have certainly been times I've sat in traffic on the freeway on my bike and decide not to lane split.

What you really have to pay attention to is when you commute on your bike everyday and get used to lane splitting. And then one day, the moment you see brake lights and start to veer to lane split you suddenly realize you're in your wife's minivan
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
Totally agree. Its something i will only do if traffic is jammed and at or about a standstill.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Illegal, but usually tolerated by authorities in Germany. 1% of drivers are unhappy, 0.1% try to interfer. I do it all the time, in town, on the Autobahn, on rural roads, in front of traffic lights, railroad crossings, general jams. Works even better on scooter.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM

one thing i like about the versys is that it has a relatively quiet exhaust, which if I am stuck in traffic and am rolling past you... is better for me because I usually ride the line on the shoulder (where a car would not normally veer)

I am mixed on whether a loud exhaust would be better, but I had a loud exhaust on my old bike and people would hear me coming and move over to block me. Its unbelievable the sense of entitlement that people have, like "if i am stuck in this traffic then you should be too! and I am willing to sacrifice your life to make sure you suffer just like me"

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Liking it more & more.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Unhappy Illegal to pass on right shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
one thing i like about the versys is that it has a relatively quiet exhaust, which if I am stuck in traffic and am rolling past you... is better for me because I usually ride the line on the shoulder (where a car would not normally veer)
In California it is illegal to pass vehicles on the right shoulder of the roadway.
I have personally seen many tickets written to bikes and auto.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode