Starting a motorcycle club - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Starting a motorcycle club

I'm thinking about starting a motorcycle club with a few friends. I'm just not sure about how to get it off the ground. Now when I say club, I don't mean gang. No patches, no colors, no dues, just a group of people. It would be a slightly organized group of people who ride either together or alone and just enjoy motorcycles and traveling. Meet once or twice a month at someone's house or at a scenic site to share ride stories, relax and have fun with friends. Rallies would be something like who can go the farthest in 24 hours, go on a checkpoint type ride with food at the end, or go dead heading (pick a direction when you get to an intersection, end up where you end up and camp at the end of the day). I thought we could do awards for things like what Ironbutt does (1000 miles in 24 hours, 2k in 2 days, etc), most miles in a year, and most states in a year. Go to race events like NASCAR or NHRA. Anyway, rambling over, how do you get something like this started?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 AM

We have a loose knit group of people that bicycle together. No rules, meetings or requirements. We meet on Sunday mornings and go for a ride. If you can make it great...if you can't that's okay too. Usually have 4 or 5 guys sometimes 15 or 20. Works pretty well.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Last edited by Bicyclebob; 05-24-2011 at 01:22 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 AM

sounds like you already have activities plan in mind...you have members (few friends like you said) and activities, then get it off the ground!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM

A lot of riders use Meetup.com to get things started. I even know of one local club that a bunch of members quit because it was getting too structured with rules and signing waivers before rides and stuff like that, so now they have a group on Facebook, and they have impromptu and well planned out rides all the time.

Phil
San Diego, CA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Lots of forums have Iowa specific sections. The hard part is finding people to communicate with. Try checking on more forums. I'm not sure if there is a Iowa specific forum like there is here in Colorado. I ride with a lot of people from Colorado Sportbike Club and ADVrider.

Check out
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/iowa/

ADVrider has
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

yea like motonut said, use meetup.com to facilitate that group. That way you dont have to pay for a website and the structure is already there.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM

My local dual sport (GCDSR) "Club" uses a Yahoo Users Group format, that' free. You can be up and running in minutes.
You could also use one of the cheap or free forum hosting / soft wares. Like a scaled down version of this forum.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 05-24-2011 at 10:34 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

According to a thread I read on this subject once on a HD forum, you will need to arrange for a sit down with the local chapter of the Hell's Angles or other dominate motorcycle gang in your area to seek their approval first. It is apparently also important to not use upper and lower rockers patches on your club's leather vests, especially if it lists a location on the lower rocker. This can cause other gangs to think you are moving in on their territory.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
According to a thread I read on this subject once on a HD forum, you will need to arrange for a sit down with the local chapter of the Hell's Angles or other dominate motorcycle gang in your area to seek their approval first. It is apparently also important to not use upper and lower rockers patches on your club's leather vests, especially if it lists a location on the lower rocker. This can cause other gangs to think you are moving in on their territory.
Pff. I ain't scared.

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
My local dual sport (GCDSR) "Club" uses a Yahoo Users Group format, that' free. You can be up and running in minutes.
You could also use one of the cheap or free forum hosting / soft wares. Like a scaled down version of this forum.
My local riders group uses a Yahoo user group too. Works well for us.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode