I just can't do it...or should I - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I just can't do it...or should I

I posted this on AdVrider as well but thought I'd see what you lot thought.

I been under a little peer pressure to join the Riders Group at a social club I belong to....they are just forming and need members. I have a few fundamental problems with the group.

1) They are not promoting safe riding IMO...no helmets or any protective equipment other than boots and thats only because they look cool. They actually encourage you to wear the leather vest with the groups patch on it.Aside from the fact I wear ATGATT I would look ridiculous dressed like that.

2) Ride organization seems pitiful and I have never been a fan of the rolling road block.

3) Alcohol use while on a ride, this is big ine for me.... officially they do not condone it but they ride from one bar to another and back....having, and I quote "only 4 or 5 drinks" unacceptable for me....

So my questions is do I need to get off my high horse and quit being a snob and just join to help them out with numbers or stand my ground and piss a few people off. Or should I go to a meeting and tell them where I think they are wrong and take a verbal beating.

I consider some of these guys and girls friends so its a sticky situation.

I do however make fun of them looking like the village people , they call me spaceman so its all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Really?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I posted this on AdVrider as well but thought I'd see what you lot thought.

I been under a little peer pressure to join the Riders Group at a social club I belong to....they are just forming and need members. I have a few fundamental problems with the group.

1) They are not promoting safe riding IMO...no helmets or any protective equipment other than boots and thats only because they look cool. They actually encourage you to wear the leather vest with the groups patch on it.Aside from the fact I wear ATGATT I would look ridiculous dressed like that.

2) Ride organization seems pitiful and I have never been a fan of the rolling road block.

3) Alcohol use while on a ride, this is big ine for me.... officially they do not condone it but they ride from one bar to another and back....having, and I quote "only 4 or 5 drinks" unacceptable for me....

So my questions is do I need to get off my high horse and quit being a snob and just join to help them out with numbers or stand my ground and piss a few people off. Or should I go to a meeting and tell them where I think they are wrong and take a verbal beating.

I consider some of these guys and girls friends so its a sticky situation.

I do however make fun of them looking like the village people , they call me spaceman so its all good.
I would not join unless I could do it on my own term

And how old are these "freind" to impose that kind of behavior on you ???

My 2 cents

LOP
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Pretty much sounds like your mind is made up.

I don't ride in groups anymore. The group I used to ride with in Seattle was safety-conscious and a pretty cool group, but I would often feel pressure to out-ride my abilities. That wasn't their fault - it was mine. I got cocky one afternoon scouting a route for a group ride the following day and I had a wreck.

There are a lot of liabilities here. Even if you went ATGATT with them, an injury or loss of control (compounded by lack of spacing) could put you down pretty quick.

Hang with them if you like, but just say, "I prefer to ride alone - helps me clear my head, but thanks." Most bikers - on all makes - respond pretty well to respect given. Don't judge them, but don't compromise yourself either.

Just be cool and do your thing.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM

So you are riding with a group of riders who drink? You are putting yourself in danger. I am at devcon 5 when I ride with a group that's sober, you never know what another rider will do, especially while under the influence. Find a new group! This one does not fit your riding style at all.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
So you are riding with a group of riders who drink? You are putting yourself in danger. I am at devcon 5 when I ride with a group that's sober, you never know what another rider will do, especially while under the influence. Find a new group! This one does not fit your riding style at all.
I have not ridden with them. The last ride I bowed out after the 4 or 5 drink comments. I heard later from others that the ride was badly organized the so called captains left the group in the dust etc.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Hey Offcamber -- You obviously have a different perspective about how to ride than the other individuals. Although I try not to pass judgement on how other people ride, IMHO you are doing it the right way. By riding with these other individuals you would be putting yourself at risk. You would be negating many of the precautions that you take to ride safely. I know it's a bummer when you end up excluding yourself, but most of the time the "right" choice is not the easy choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe meet up and hang out with some of them. but wouldn't ride with them sounds too risky and its totally not what your about. It not being a snob it called being smart.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Aside from everything else, it's the group ride dynamics that would actually give me the most pause here. Even if they were all teetotalers, you can't do a group ride like that....

Good group rides HAVE to be organized. It really helps to have solid riders on point and sweep. Voice communications, in my opinion, are a must, at least for the point/sweep guys. And if it's a big enough group, breaking that group up makes even more sense. Agreeing on pace, hand signals, stops, catchup points...it takes some commitment and patience to do it right. Organizers have to sacrifice some of their personal riding enjoyment - often - for the enjoyment of making a good experience for others.

I got very lucky to have good riding mentors with the WetLeather group up in Seattle when I rode with them. It was a brief time, but I learned a lot from them.

That's the kind of group you want to ride with. One that takes the entire group into account.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM

where are you at in new hampshire? I am in southern NH, if you are looking for a riding group you could join us for some rides.

No drinking
Proper form
our leader has a great knowledge of the area so always takes the most fun routes
best part no dress code lol
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Remember what our parents taught us about peer pressure? ("If Tommy jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?") Same lessons still apply.

Doesn't sound like a group I'd join because as you've described things the members have ideas about riding that are not consistent with mine. I don't think you'd be a snob because your have a different approach to riding. If these people are truly your friends they'd respect your outlook and not make an issue of it.

I stopped riding with a great bunch of guys several years ago because they all drink while riding, every ride, often starting before lunch. I'm no teetotaler, but the beer and booze don't come out until the riding is over for the day. For me, deciding not to ride with them was about my safety and what I enjoy about motorcycling. These guys are still my friends, I just don't ride with them.

Your call, of course, but my advice is to ask yourself what you like about motorcycling and then decide if membership in this group would be supportive or a hindrance.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
where are you at in new hampshire? I am in southern NH, if you are looking for a riding group you could join us for some rides.

No drinking
Proper form
our leader has a great knowledge of the area so always takes the most fun routes
best part no dress code lol

Thanks I'm in west Central.....the top of I89 near VT....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Besides the safety issues, I suspect you'd be bored to tears going along for one of these group rides. I went out with a similar group out of the local American legion once, and once was enough for me. The "rolling roadblock" description is appropriate. Those guys may dig that style of riding, but it's not for everybody. I prefer groups of 5 or less, plus my mates are not anal about riding in lockstep, I mean formation, but we do watch out for each other. Wish them luck, and even donate a token amount to their club, then do your own thing.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I'm no teetotaler, but the beer and booze don't come out until the riding is over for the day.
+1

I have a family I want to come home to. Alcohol severely affects the odds.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Ridden to Alaska 3 times (plus some other long rides), and always with just ONE other person. Works GREAT!

Double it to TWO extra, and you can't get real agreement on where to stop, when to start, etc, etc.

Group rides suck the big one!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM

I'm surprized no-one has said it yet, but "we" are your riding club, group, buddies. Go find eparker202 have the kind ride you really want too.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I'm surprized no-one has said it yet, but "we" are your riding club, group, buddies. Go find eparker202 have the kind ride you really want too.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 PM

Change From Within!

This may not be a viable option until some of the group wreck or get popped for DUI. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Join up but organize your own ride(s) with your own rules, plan it out well, make it challenging, not a bar hopping/circuit, and stick to the rules. If some show up without helmets etc. or are under the influence don't allow them to ride. Best if you have some back-up for this, hopefully bring in some (1 or 2) responsible riders so you're not riding or standing alone.

Have some great fun without the bar stops. Perhaps some real twisty rides, if the group is full of cruisers this may not work. At least you've offered them a healthy alternative.

Set up for drinks(BBQ) at your place or another members place AFTER the ride and have designated driver(s) set up. Make sure your friends know up front nobody drives their bike away from your place, if they come.

You will never be able to change your friends habits unless they can understand you want to ride first not drink. Have fun riding, not get drunk. Any of us can join the Legion if we choose the latter!

Better to lose a friend due to a disagreement rather than a drunken wreck that you may or even may not be involved in.

No EASY answer!

If all else fails rat them out!!

Cheers and ATGATT, RON.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 AM

A sticky wicket indeed but....Logic and common sense abound here at our forum.
So it's no surprise you have issues with the dynamics of this particular group.
Go your own way brother and know we are on your side in spirit if not on the same road.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM

I have Friends that i dont ride with anymore for pretty much the same reasons so i guess this is why i like to ride solo or with perhaps one friend ..... I guess i like to march to the beat of my own drum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode