Isle of Man Public Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Isle of Man Public Ride

This is a proper bit of riding.....

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Holy Crop !!!

I would never be a passenger on these bikes.

Great video though.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bloody hell. It must have been filmed on "Black Sunday," the day when the wanna-be boy racers take to the pavement and ride the unforgiving, narrow, twisting, limited-sight roads of the Mountain Course just as you witness in this video. I cringed each time the rider blasted around a blind curve on the wrong side of the road. Those roads simply don't offer any escape routes when an oncoming vehicle sddenly pops into view. Not to mention that it takes a very long time to become familiar with the 37 3/4 mile course.

The rider in the video seems rather skilled but, more importantly, he (not lkely her) was incredibly fortunate there was no oncoming traffic. The only time his speed or regard for other vehicles was even remotely appropriate was in the road-work area between Kate's Cottage and the Creg-ny-Baa hotel.

Each time I went to the island for the Manx Grand Prix, either as part of a racing team or simply to watch the races, Black Sunday claimed the life of at least one rider, usually in a horrific crash with a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction on open public roads, or a very large, very solid roadside object. Here are two examples that are, unfortunately, typical.

At over 100 mph, a squid and his girlfriend hit a small car on a blind curve with such force that the bike virtually became an integral part of the car. Both the young man and girl were killed instantly despite the fact that they were wearing full gear. The occupants of the vehicle were seriously injured. The second I remember occurred when a solo rider tearing down Bray Hill in Douglas overcooked it and ran headlong into the stone wall at full tilt. Not proper (in the traditional meaning of the word), not exciting and not cool, but the prospect mangled corpses usually aren't.

Still, I suppose as long as the TT and MGP continue to exist, Black Suday will continue to claim the lives of reckless wanna-be riders. What a shame. Sorry if I've offended anyone, I'll step down off the soap box now.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Those are just street riders. If you want to see the real thing, wait until HD Theater shows the TT races this summer. They run up to 200 mph on the mountain.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode