How to carry while riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to carry while riding

I travel alone on my bike most of the time, and would like to take a handgun along now that I have an Iowa concealed carry permit. I am researching reciprocity for out of state trips, but right now I am most concerned with how I will actually carry it. I'm not going to shoot while driving or anything like that, but need a quick draw if need be. I'm thinking about being confronted at campgrounds or rest stops and that sort of situation. Or a bear/buffalo that I pissed off. I have a Ruger LCP which is what I will carry, since the other handguns are a Ruger Security 6 and a Ruger Mark III. I have a coat like this and will soon have a luggage trunk like this. Any suggestions?

P.S. Please don't turn this into a gun control/Constitutional rights battle. I am an NRA member, and would rather start a different thread to talk about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 AM

If wearing on your person give some thought to if it might be driven into your body in the event of a fall/impact.

Personally I would go Machete! style.

post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 AM

Nice looking gun, however if you shot a bear with it you really would just piss him off.
post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
If wearing on your person give some thought to if it might be driven into your body in the event of a fall/impact.

Personally I would go Machete! style.

I was thinking road warrior personally.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

I'd personally wear a shoulder harness holster which would keep it at my side. Any hip/waist holster would be terribly uncomfortable for any distance. I would not be comfortable keeping it anywhere on the bike itself. I agree with versysdave that you should try other routes before using these guns for bear control!! But I am a believer in concealed carry when traveling solo....just check state laws before you go.
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM

No guns here but this might do good.
http://www.holsterss.com/servlet/the...r-belly/Detail

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Shoulder holsters work well on a bike because they’re comfortable and more importantly, they put it in a favorable position if you hit the ground... but they’re a PITA when you have to take the jacket off in public.

A well placed inside jacket pocket (preferably with a thin inside-the-pants holster in it) is a pretty good choice. It’s reasonably accessible and it allows you to take the jacket off in a diner, etc., without unnerving the patrons...

One note, it’s easy to grow complacent over time, to the point where you’ll be tempted to leave the `loaded’ jacket unattended... — Don’t! — If you have to leave the jacket... put the weapon (with the above mentioned holster) under your shirt (that LCP will hide very well).

The only way I’d even consider leaving it on the bike would be if I was able to maintain a continuous direct line-of-sight on it.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Maybe you should have gone Seahorse-
http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/m...CARRYING_CASES
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Agreed shoulder holster is the way to go...I have ridden with one on my hip towards my back and it was fine but the draw was near impossible I wear a First Gear Kathmandu jacket and pants, difficult to get to with that setup. Use the Ruger LCP then you can just put it in one of the jacket pockets. Leave the Mark III at home, nice target gun useless for self defense...

Last edited by offcamber; 04-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Pm sent.

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #11 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM

I also pack an LCP and vote for a nondescript, black, textile IWB holster (Uncle Mike's #1 fits the Crimson Trace laser) in an inside jacket pocket, with the velcro strap from the pocket engaging the thumbreak strap on the holster (which is also engaged). I think erring toward the "secure" end of the scale as opposed to the "quick access" end is more important to me; I've always thought I could fake a seizure, coughing fit, sudden outbreak of glossalia, or some other distraction long enough to deploy my weapon against an assailant who was taking his time about killing me...but if he shoots first and accurately then I wouldn't have had an opportunity to clear leather anyway.
As for tranferring the gun from jacket to pants pocket, etc., if you are discrete you can basically palm enough of the gun inside the holster for most people to assume it is your cellphone, IPOD, chewing tobacco, ...
And lastly, forget shooting the bear; silly, that's why we ride a tall bike--let him/her chase you 'round and 'round it until it gets tired, then just ride off...Seriously, I love my lil'Ruger, but if you're going to camp with Yogi, I'd have a .44 or .454 REAL handy!
post #12 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layne1663 View Post
And lastly, forget shooting the bear; silly, that's why we ride a tall bike--let him/her chase you 'round and 'round it until it gets tired, then just ride off...Seriously, I love my lil'Ruger, but if you're going to camp with Yogi, I'd have a .44 or .454 REAL handy!
Hell NO! If you're worried about bears, carry either a .25 or .22LR, small, light, concealable, and REALLY all you need to put one into your own temple just before Mr. Bruin starts to chomp!

(From Ed, whose neighbor was killed and partially consumed by a grizz about 20 miles west of where I'm sitting, about 2 years ago.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Guys guys guys, the bear thing was a joke. Mountain lion I could fend off with a .380, but probably not anything bigger. The gun is mostly a self-assurance item.

IBA # 49372
post #14 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
Pm sent.
This is a good guy

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by layne1663 View Post
I also pack an LCP and vote for a nondescript, black, textile IWB holster (Uncle Mike's #1 fits the Crimson Trace laser) in an inside jacket pocket, with the velcro strap from the pocket engaging the thumbreak strap on the holster (which is also engaged). I think erring toward the "secure" end of the scale as opposed to the "quick access" end is more important to me; I've always thought I could fake a seizure, coughing fit, sudden outbreak of glossalia, or some other distraction long enough to deploy my weapon against an assailant who was taking his time about killing me...but if he shoots first and accurately then I wouldn't have had an opportunity to clear leather anyway.
As for tranferring the gun from jacket to pants pocket, etc., if you are discrete you can basically palm enough of the gun inside the holster for most people to assume it is your cellphone, IPOD, chewing tobacco, ...
I was thinking about getting a taurus revolver for those bigger calibers and the .410 shot shell. I am worried about the bulkiness of it though.

IBA # 49372
post #16 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hmmm your making me nervous to travel to the states to do some riding maybe in the next couple of years as we just allowing the cops to carry tazers at the moment.
post #17 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Hmmm your making me nervous to travel to the states to do some riding maybe in the next couple of years as we just allowing the cops to carry tazers at the moment.
I'm country born and bred, had a gun (20 gauge shotgun) since I was ten. Carrying guns is just my nature. Also, there are a lot more shifty dishonest people out there than good natured people.

IBA # 49372
post #18 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I have done some hunting and have a 22, a 22 magnum a mossberg 270 and a 1300ft/sec air rifle in my gun safe but our laws forbid have a hand gun with out a special license and only to be used on a aproved range, have fired a policemans 9mm glock a few years ago but heck did not think i could hit the side of a barn with it.

Took my son out hunting a few years ago on my wifes TS 125 around a high country station with a couple of rifles slung over our shoulders to help remove some rabbits.
post #19 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Don't believe Hollywood (or the U.S. News) in the basis of how it really is here in the U.S. Most people who carry guns here are good folk. The U.S. media is driven by ratings and money. If it is not exciting or shocking, it is not given airtime. If it bleeds, it leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
there are a lot more shifty dishonest people out there than good natured people.
I honestly think you have it backwards. The good natured people far outweigh the "shifty dishonest" people. Maybe its where I live, but also all the places I have traveled to as well.

That said, glad your packing protection. Never know when you might just find yourself involved in someone elses bad idea. That's why I keep my trusty Glock with me everywhere I can legally possess it.

Be safe! Your head can get you out of many more situations than your pistol.
post #20 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I was thinking about getting a taurus revolver for those bigger calibers and the .410 shot shell. I am worried about the bulkiness of it though.
Had a taurus 357 worst pistol i ever owned. If someone thats good wants to jump you you won't have time to pull your gun. They won't make thier move till thier up close. Best if your in an uncomfortable situitation just move on. Maybee start studing a martial art that has good inclose weapon and hand techniques (knife ,short sticks,belt) .i've been practicing hapkido for years has come in handy in more than a few times i study escrima for the stick fighting and knife techniques

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-20-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode