Can anyone offer some RV advice? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone offer some RV advice?

We are looking at used RV's and I'm struggling with something....basically we want to stay no larger than 30'. So, is there any pros and cons to a class A vs. a class C?

I've located a 30' Class A and a couple of 29' Class C's that are of interest, and the floor plans all work for our situation.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Buy what you can afford, and don't plan on having any residual value when you're done. Then, if you DO - it's gravy!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM

This is the first RV post I've seen, cool! My first thought is wow, the gas prices will make it a great time to buy. Unfortunately, also a great time to Park it! Seriously, I know nothing about RVs, just love the Robin Williams movie. I can see me having those sewer line issues. Oh, I wanted to add, a friend in my RETREADS club just bought a trailer that is really awesome, with a rear garage for the motorcycles. That is what I would get, because if you have motor problems, just trade pickups.

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 04-19-2011 at 09:30 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 AM

It's a bad investment. Think of this. How much will you spend on an RV, parking costs, sewer lines, chemicals, GASOLINE, leveling blocks, etc. etc. etc. versus what you would spend on a hotel with a pool every time you go somewhere. The hotel usually ends up being cheaper, unless you live on the road. Some people enjoy "camping" in an RV and if you are one of those who want a house to move from place to place on the weekends, go for it. I like roughing it personally. An RV doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but to each their own.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The people i know that have one say the cost to upkeep and use them out weigh the benefits. They also said if given the choice they would just rent one when needed.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I've had a 30' trailer, and a 37' motorhome. They're gone now, and I've always preferred a tent and kit, on the back of a bike!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone, some good food for thought.

I have two kids, one 16 and one 20. We ride dirt bikes and just generally like to spend time together. My wife rides as well, and really likes being a mom and taking care of all of us!

My wife was recently diagnosed with cancer and has just completed 8 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment. We are looking forward, not back. This summer will hold some particular importance and value for all of us in evaluating what is truly important in life. We are a close family and will spend time together doing what we like to do, where we like to do it and when we want to do it without regard for hotel reservations, restaurants, etc.

We have owned an RV the past, and enjoyed the freedom that it offered. I am aware of the costs and the value offered.

I've decided that a class C makes the most sense for us in that it can offer the most individual sleeping accommodations and flexibility while not being too large to get to some of the places we like to go. The bikes will come along much of the time. My Versys purchase was made with much encouragement from my wife with the thought that it can offer some transportation for errands while camping.

I'll keep looking, I'll find something and show you what I found. As I head out to Moab and other awesome spots in western Colorado for motorcycling and adventure I'll take pics to share. You WILL be jealous.....

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM

I've pulled big trailers and driven motorhomes. They have one thing in common: You get about 7 mpg on the highway no matter what you're pulling it with. A big box isn't very aerodynamic. Gas is about $4/gal right now, so it'll cost $4 to go 7 miles, or $400 to go 700 miles.

If you pull a 30' trailer, you'll need a minimum of an F-250 or 2500 series truck to do it safely.

Seems to me it'd be a lot cheaper to load a bike into something smaller, like an F-150, which would use 1/3 as much gas, not have a trailer, and stay at decent motels.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 PM

RV owner for more than 10 years here...

All Class A's. The first one was a '78 26' Dodge 440. Rather vintage by today's standards. Traded it in on a 99 Southwind 29 with a V10. Great motorhome but no slides. Everytime we went out the wife would say we should have one with slide-outs. Traded it for a brand new 2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W (Winnebago), 32' with 8.1 and allison. That was 6 years ago now. We have absolutely loved owning it and have traveled all over the place, dirtbiking, jeeps, the boat, and just traveling. This is our vacation every year, plus all the long weekends.

Been riding dirtbikes forever. An RV is the best way to enjoy the desert. We have been out when it's below freezing, and winds to 60mph. Roughing it is fine 'till the weather gets bad, then they just pack up and go home. Or they come hang out with us in our cozy motorhome!

Hotels are fine too but there aren't any in the dez or up in the Sierras where we ride single-track. Plus you can't take three dogs to a hotel. Our pomeranians go EVERYWHERE with us. Napa Valley wine tours? Yep, with the dogs and the RV. Palm Springs for some mineral baths and go out on the town? You bet. Stay in the nice park with full hookups. With the dogs.

We have been to Seattle 3 times, all over California, Phoenix, Tucson, more than 25K miles in 5 years.

For us there is no better way to travel on the road. We don't like restuarants, we cook better and eat better. We have all our own 'stuff' with us, our own bed, our clothes, gear, everything. We like 5-star hotels, otherwise it gives us the creeps sleeping in a public bed. Is it expensive? You bet it is. Especially now with gas prices. It gets 9-10 unloaded, about 8 pulling the car (new style Scion XB) and about the same with the dirtbikes behind. If there's a headwind sometimes only 7-7.5. We are making payments for 18 years. I figure with gas and maint, insurance, the payment etc. about a grand a month. We get a tax credit for interest as a second home so that helps a lot. Plans are to travel to the NW again this year, take the trailer but put the versys on it and go ride Vancouver Island.

Wife went thru the cancer thing 7 years ago, lymphoma, 18 weeks of chemo therapy. Was horrible. She would not go camping if not for the motorhome. So while I like to rough it too, I do that with my buddies.

The biggest advantage of a class A are it's capacities. It will pull twice the weight as a C, has double the tankage, and has double the cargo capacity. Check out specs on competing models. Our 32 has a 190" wheelbase (shorter) so it will manuever into places a truck and camper would. If it can hang over in the back it will park in a regular car parking spot. It has a driver door, very handy for getting in and out, boat launching, gassing up (do that a lot!) etc. 75gl fuel, 90gl water, 90gl holding tanks, AC, home theater with surround sound, two slides, queen bed that is more comfy than the one in the house, and towing up to 5K lbs. It just doesn't get any better than this unless you go 36-40' diesel. We paid just under $100K for ours. And yes, we are upside down about ten grand. I talk of selling it and everytime I do the wife says "Then what are we gonna do? Forget it!"

Go for it! You and the family will love it.

Couple a pics of ours...

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Chris, You da' man! Too funny that you've done the cancer thing, and have pomeranians!!!! Us too, only had to put one down a month ago, that is no fun. I failed to mention my little buddy in the mix above.

I appreciate your rationale with the Class A, and a shorty would be cool, but with a 6'3" 195lb. 20 year old son, and my daughter, I like the over the cab sleeping for one of them. Then we won't have to set up and tear down the dinette every time........or at least that's what I'm thinking.

When we had our old RV we too had a boat and would camp at various lakes for weeks on end. Oh to be younger and without kids........but I digress!

Finding a hotel in remote areas is sketchy. Then enough beds for four, then feeding four in restaurants, and then driving back and forth to the riding gets old. When we did this before, it was with all our stuff, coolers, dogs, etc and a Suburban and a big flatbed trailer. At 16 MPG average, and more driving it doesn't take too long to even out. Plus, in the RV, getting there is part of the adventure and a hell of a lot more fun than being in a car.....IMHO.

'

2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Small world, eh?

Here's our poms and my son, but he's 16 now and 6' tall as well. Started driving a few months ago. He already put a dent in the scion. Damn, shoulda got him his own car.

But yeah, I think this was taken on one of our trips to WA. We're speeding down the hiway, enjoying life.

EDIT: BTW, we started out with a conversion van and a flatbed. The first trip to a dry lake and a couple of hours in the wife asks where she's supposed to go to the bathroom. Hell, there wasn't even a bush to get behind. We used to take a tent and put a porta-poti in it.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 04-21-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode