Can I bitch about smartphones??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Can I bitch about smartphones???

Smartphones, T-Mobile service, disappointment......

You know, I've been with T-Mobile since they were Voicestream, and that was many years ago. Always had great customer service, always good talk & text service, never a billing problem. Then about a month ago, I decide it's time to get with the rest of the world and upgrade to a smartphone. Gimme internet on my phone, let me send & receive pics, video & who knows what else. But to get this phone with all these nice features, I have to sign a two year contract. I've been month to month with them for a long time, and MUCH prefer that. I HATE being locked in with these money hungry bastards, but seeing how I've been with them for so long with so little problems, I figured what the hell. Famous last words, right? Right up there with "What can go wrong", "Hold my beer" & "Watch this..."

Anyway, I buy two of these newest of the new MyTouch 4G phones, one for me, and one for my son Kelby. Supposed to be the best T-Mobile offers. And yes, I know what you're thinking, "You should've done a little research, Rick Peyton..." And you're right. Shame on me, and I should have to live with my mistake. Suffer you lazy man for not googling this more than you did. So be it.

From the get go, Kelby complains his phone is very laggy, and doesn't respond right away to touch. I tell him maybe his phone is a girl. Am I right fellas?? Hahaha!! And he complains his internet is slow & 4G is spotty. I noticed my internet was slow & my phone lost 4G a lot too. Hmm... In fact, it seemed to spend at least half the time on regular cell service. And even when I had 4G, seemed like when I went to the web, it would either drop to regular cell service, thus slowing to a crawl, or was just slow. Many of my coworkers have smartphones through other carries, so we've been running comparisons. And let me tell you, that's another thing I am regretting, because it only added to my frustrations! T-Mobile is just SLOW compared to AT&T, Sprint & Verizon. Period. Noticeably slower.

So, I get on the phone with tech support. I tell him what's going on. He creates a trouble ticket, we go through the whole, on/off/remove battery game, then reboot the phone, then he talks me into doing something else I regret, a factory reset. Lost everything of course, but my contacts. Luckily we backed those up. But the worst thing, after the factory reset, now MY phone was laggy and non-responsive! DAMMIT! Now I'm pissed. Oh, and I hear from them a couple of days later. Yep you guessed it, "Mr. Peyton, there's nothing wrong with the service in your area, nor are there gonna be any upgrades in the near future. The area you live in should have excellent coverage."

Really....

Then I see my first bill. Holy Lord. Now I'm furious. WAY higher than what I was quoted in the store. The cute little T-Mobile hottie even showed me a computer screen with line item charges of what my total bill SHOULD be, including fees and taxes (or so I thought!!) before I signed that GD contract. But THIS bill was significantly higher! So I call customer support. I tell 'em I want out of my contract. Out I tell you *pounds fist on desk*! Long story short, she says nope. sorry, you're stuck. We'll send you a new phone. Maybe you got a defective one. I say not likely, we have two, both have crappy service, but maybe, so send it, and that still does NOTHING for my bill. Stuck with that for TWO YEARS. I soooooooo regret signing that contract. Lesson learned. NEVER AGAIN.

Which brings us to today. I got my new replacement phone yesterday, same type of phone, the MyTouch 4G. I've been messing with it quite a bit. It does seem faster on the web. Maybe it's a placebo thing? I don't know. But it does seem to stay on 4G. I wont know for sure for a few more days. Guess I need to tell 'em to send Kelby a new phone too...

So now that I've publicly whined, what is the point of all this?? If you ask me who to choose as a cell carrier, I'll say this, if you just want a normal, plain jane, talk & text phone, T-Mobile is fine. Never had a problem. HOWEVER, if you're looking for a smartphone, and all the fancy pretties that go with, I say avoid T-Mobile like a person with dog crap on their shoe. Stay away! From our tests at work & at home (Babydaughter Meg, aka Bear Cub, has the Sprint Evo phone), Verizon is consistently the fastest, with Sprint a very close second place. In fact, at times Meg's Evo was faster surfing the web on 3G service than my phone was with 4G. Sad. Maybe with this new phone, things will be different. I can only hope, but still not worth the price of admission....

Thank you for listening....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Bear,

I'm with you ... The smart phone thing is to me a double edged sword ... You get a lot of capability in the handset, but along with that comes a trade off. Power and bandwidth usage ... and sometimes it's not even a good radio (phone) anymore ... also, Voicestream/Tmobile is based on GSM / GPRS technology and in it's current hardware iteration in their network, not nearly as data capable as the newer CDMA that Verizon and Sprint has. All 4G is not equal of course. But then again, CDMA plans COST more.

It is my feeling, that data plans are INSANE cost wise and the current data customer is footing / fronting the bill for the companies to pay for all these upgrades to their networks. I will NOT have a data plan on any carrier until the technology / bandwidth ad wars starts to level off and they come down on their plans. If I need the net bad enough on the move, I can go about anywhere and access WiFi. Remember when they were charging .10 cents a text? for what? 3 milliseconds of network usage? a joke.

Eventually, the size of handset to battery ability to processor speed will catch up with it's limits and then the fashion will swing back in the other direction IMO. Smaller more efficient phones.

Your best bet is if you want a BETTER wireless data experience, is to go with a CDMA carrier and give Tmo the boot. I have had Tmo for a long long time so I feel your pain. (Also, they give you a 30 day no hassle return policy on handsets. I would go with an HTC product like the 1gb processor unit) The HTC HD2

She's a battery hog though ...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dezertv; 04-09-2011 at 12:02 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. I had a contract back in the early 90's and vowed never to do that again.

I'll keep my regular pre-pay Verizon phone. (No Frills)

I have a very old plan and $30 fills it for 3 months, my balance carries over unless I don't fill it by the 90 day mark. Granted I don't talk much, for a heavy talker this plan would not work. $120 a year for a cell phone in the pocket is a perfect deal to me.

I agree with you. No Contracts, EVER. Period. I will do without first.

If you really want out, most contracts let you pay a few hundred dollars to buy your way out. Just something to consider.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear of your tech problems Rick.
I was considering going the high-tech route my self. I've been with Verizon for 11 years now; Very good service, support etc.
I have been using the 'milspec' Casio G'Zone phones. (waterproof, shock proof) and they are as advertised. (beer proof too).
My anti-smart G'Zone is now more expensive ($160 versus $100) to buy the latest version over the bloody smart phones!!!! But no $30 per month service charges. (Hmmmm...that's 360 bucks a year!!!! that's a new set of rubber for the "V" fer-gosh-sakes).
Hell, I really don't have a use for all the gack the "smartie's" can do anyway; needless technology if you ask me. (OOOoooh....TV on my phone, BIG DEAL!).
So I am sticking with my water, dust, shock proof Casio....durability is much more important than....TV on my cell phone.
It is.....a telephone first and foremost after all.
Thanks for the warning Rick.
Be well.....Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Bear,

Your best bet is if you want a BETTER wireless data experience, is to go with a CDMA carrier and give Tmo the boot. I have had Tmo for a long long time so I feel your pain. (Also, they give you a 30 day no hassle return policy on handsets. I would go with an HTC product like the 1gb processor unit) The HTC HD2

She's a battery hog though ...
I hear ya. Wish I could drop them. BUT, they have a $200 per number fee to get out of the contract, plus any money due them. I'm assuming taxes, fees & whatever they determine you used during that time period. And I paid $300 per phone, after taxes & what-not. If I would've bought them outright, and not signed a contract. they were priced at $500 per phone before taxes & fees. Did you know they charged me an $18 per phone "upgrade fee"?? Hahaha!! Out-freakin-rageous!

I know it's a long time out, but you can bet in two years I'll not go back to T-Mobile, unless something drastic happens & I start getting INCREDIBLE internet service from them. And even then, it'll be tough. Especially after I saw what my coworker's Verizon phone could do. Lightning fast. Faster than my home internet by a LONG shot. He says he's paying $30 for unlimited data, which is exactly what I'm paying for data. Course it's a helluva lot more at the end of the bill once fees & taxes are added in. The sneaky ****s. Remember when paying for something meant you got what you paid for, all inclusive??

Oh, and the "new" replacement phone they sent because mine was suspected to be defective? Dropped from 4G to "edge" while sitting here at my desk. Not sure how long it stayed there, but that's the same thing the other one was doing. And it's probably a refurbed unit anyway, if they did anything to it at all. Oh well, they're just checking of boxes on a list... And I'm still a dissatisfied customer.

But I feel better now that I've had an audience to listen to me whine, and pat me on the back... Hahaha!!!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh, about the battery life. I read a lot about that, but it seemed to be common for all the smartphones to have short battery life, so I figured it was a small sacrifice. My phone has lasted as long as a full day from the time I got up til bed time, a number of times, but of course, the more you play the faster the battery goes. So this wasn't TOO big a deal. I knew it was gonna be like that. Course, my older blackberry would make it 6 or 7 days between charges.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Do you have a relative or a friend that lives in an area where Tmobile doesn't have service? If so, call Tmobile and tell them you are moving there, and want out of the contract. They cannot require you to be under contract in an area that has no service. Then the final bill is sent there, and you pay it, and you're done. Did it with TMO before

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I didn't know that... Hmmm...

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
Sorry to hear of your tech problems Rick.
I was considering going the high-tech route my self. I've been with Verizon for 11 years now; Very good service, support etc.
I have been using the 'milspec' Casio G'Zone phones. (waterproof, shock proof) and they are as advertised. (beer proof too).
My anti-smart G'Zone is now more expensive ($160 versus $100) to buy the latest version over the bloody smart phones!!!! But no $30 per month service charges. (Hmmmm...that's 360 bucks a year!!!! that's a new set of rubber for the "V" fer-gosh-sakes).
Hell, I really don't have a use for all the gack the "smartie's" can do anyway; needless technology if you ask me. (OOOoooh....TV on my phone, BIG DEAL!).
So I am sticking with my water, dust, shock proof Casio....durability is much more important than....TV on my cell phone.
It is.....a telephone first and foremost after all.
Thanks for the warning Rick.
Be well.....Peace.
I also have one. Great phone.

For web access, I find it convenient to use a small netbook and pull into the parking lot of a Starbucks or Panera and use their wireless. Motels usually have it as well. Sometimes I can drive down a sidestreet and find a hotspot that's not encrypted. The netbook doubles as a GPS using Street Atlas USA, and it's better than any dedicated unit because it's also a searchable atlas.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Hey, Bear, maybe the ATT/T-Mobile merger will improve customer service AND internet service(end sarcastic tone)!

I'm with you on the contract. My kids hate me for not letting them upgrade phones twice a year and re-instating two years of bondage.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM

The real problem with a cell phone is people keep calling me wanting me to do things.... wife wants to be picked up, kids want to be dropped off, mother wants to know why I don't call more often, boss wants me to come to work on time (like that's going to happen anytime soon ILMFAO)... it's never ending! If that dam phone fell off my belt onto the road I'd turn the V around and try to run it over. I can sometimes remember what it was like before cell phones.... P E A C E F U L L

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Cant help with any advice Rick as I have a phone that you can txt and talk to people on but because its network is getting dumped next year (my phone is a non sim card pre paid)so will have to replace but I think on some of the advice i may not go with high end phone for net purposes as most places have wifi and a lap top or palm top will serve a purpose at the moment but i am a sad case as i share my sons laptop in exchange he can hook into our ISP through a wireless modem on desktop.

Since we off the Malaysia in a couple of months may see if it is worth getting a phone there.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Unlocked non-carrier branded smart phones are the way to go. No contract and you can take your phone to another carrier if you wish. Hell AT&T dones't know I have a smartphone so I pay dumb phone prices, don't have a data cap, can tether my laptop for $55 a month. I haven't had a contract for over 3 years and I can use any sim card in my phone.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
Unlocked non-carrier branded smart phones are the way to go. No contract and you can take your phone to another carrier if you wish. Hell AT&T dones't know I have a smartphone so I pay dumb phone prices, don't have a data cap, can tether my laptop for $55 a month. I haven't had a contract for over 3 years and I can use any sim card in my phone.
That's what I'm talking about....

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
How do you do this? Carriers in my area want to to bring in the phone when you sign up and will not sell a contract to you if it is not one of their phones. They will not just hand you a sim card, they insist on seeing the phone and installing the card in it themselves - which they charge a fee for.

Last edited by Sprocket; 04-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Good question. We just swap out our current SIM cards to an unlocked new phone, which works fine. However, the carrier can "see" what the new phone is--they list the respective make and model phone for each phone number in our plan as soon as the swap is made and the network is used.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM

This is what worked for me. I had feature (dumb) phone with ATT. I bought an unlocked Nokia E71 that will work on the ATT network. Took the sim card out of my old phone and put it in the new one. I think I had to do some configuration but it wasn't very hard. For over 3 years I have had a smart phone but I've been paying for a dumb phone plan. I also have an employer discount that gets me 21% off my monthly bill.

I've read that if you try to do this with an iPhone, ATT will know that it is an iPhone and automatically switch you to a smart phone plan. You should be safe if you buy an unlocked smartphone that your carrier does not offer.

Hope this helps.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Back on topic, I'm fortunate in that my company requires me to have a nice new smartphone, and even luckier still, they pay for the phone and the data plan. The downside is that I'm tethered to the job, but I did sign on for that. No complaints about the job.

But as smartphones go, they make great motorcycle accessories. My Droid on the Verizon network has replaced a number of high tech (and some low-tech) electronic gizmos in one package. I got a ram mount and carry it there on longer trips. I've used it for the FM radio, MP3 player, GPS navigation, maps, flashlight, digital camera, HD camcorder, calculator, internet browsing, You-Tube for DIY maintenance how-to's, etc, etc. I've literally given away or sold a decent digital camera, Garmin GPS and a cheap MP3 player that I typically carried in my pack all the time. If you think about the cost of a decent GPS unit, camcorder and whatever else you can replace with a smartphone, it becomes a little easier to justify whatever cost you have in it. Just my $.02.

Eric

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdavis197 View Post
Back on topic, I'm fortunate in that my company requires me to have a nice new smartphone, and even luckier still, they pay for the phone and the data plan. The downside is that I'm tethered to the job, but I did sign on for that. No complaints about the job.

But as smartphones go, they make great motorcycle accessories. My Droid on the Verizon network has replaced a number of high tech (and some low-tech) electronic gizmos in one package. I got a ram mount and carry it there on longer trips. I've used it for the FM radio, MP3 player, GPS navigation, maps, flashlight, digital camera, HD camcorder, calculator, internet browsing, You-Tube for DIY maintenance how-to's, etc, etc. I've literally given away or sold a decent digital camera, Garmin GPS and a cheap MP3 player that I typically carried in my pack all the time. If you think about the cost of a decent GPS unit, camcorder and whatever else you can replace with a smartphone, it becomes a little easier to justify whatever cost you have in it. Just my $.02.

Eric
+1 on Droid phones. I have a Droid X and absolutely love it. No more Mp3 player, camera, FM radio, Franklin Planner, GPS, etc... to be carried anymore. Not to mention the access to the internet anywhere you go with the WiFi hotspot.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM

I don't know where you ride or drive but I can tell that south of you Verizon doesn't work to good if you get off of 35. At&t has much better coverage. Verizon is very spotty at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode