How do I stop those ads from running? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How do I stop those ads from running?

I know this has been discussed before but to speed up my computer I want to keep those ads from popping up and running. I'll be looking at something and a pickup truck drives across the screen or there is an annoying video playing off to the side. My OS is Windows Vista. I can't find where I would change such a setting. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I know this is a touchy subject for some, though I don't understand why, if you use Mozilla firefox to view our website, you can use an add on called adblocker. It seems to work really well. If you're willing, give it a try. In fact, download their latest beta, called firefox 4. Very fast! I've used it for a couple of weeks and it seems to work great. If you don't want to switch browsers, I don't think there's anything for Internet explorer that will stop the ads. One suggestion, if you want to stay with Internet explorer, download the newest version, which is IE9. Maybe that will help speed things up a bit, but i don't think it'll do anything for the ads.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
IE does have a add blocker in its setting but cant tell you how to turn it on as am on work computer at moment.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear, every now and then Vista will automatically stop the ads to speed things up. Next time that happens I'll look into the other info that accompanies it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM

There's an annoying bug in Mozilla firefox 4.0
In the "Show all bookmarks"
(Why they changed the wording from the much better, "Organize bookmarks" I have no idea)
When you click on a link to see what it is and then close it, then do the same for another both pages get opened in tabs." I finally went back to 3.6 so I could straighten things out.
AdBlocker works great in both versions though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
There's an annoying bug in Mozilla firefox 4.0
In the "Show all bookmarks"
(Why they changed the wording from the much better, "Organize bookmarks" I have no idea)
When you click on a link to see what it is and then close it, then do the same for another both pages get opened in tabs." I finally went back to 3.6 so I could straighten things out.
AdBlocker works great in both versions though.
Yep, totally agree about the bookmark thing. I also miss the little triangle drop down menu beside the back button. I used that all the time. My 3.6 became so buggy, I just gave up on it, weird little things. But other than what we mentioned, 4 is working great. I've got IE9 and tried it for a few days, but don't particularly like it. Guess I'm too used to ff...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM

I also had to change to Firefox just because of this particular site. Doesn't seem like a guy should have to do that. Very annoying!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Not only are those ads really annoying, it also means you are vulnerable for a browser hijacking and/or trojan bug. Adware, spyware, and ransom-ware can sneak onto your computer via advertisements, and after they get the foot in the door, they can clog up things for you or outright hold your computer ransom until you pay them a fee. Problem is they want your creditcard number to go on a spending spree and won't fix your problem. Don't give any personal info out if asked for it! My advice is to use a reputable antivirus/antispyware/firewall program to protect you at all stages. A good 2-way firewall is a must in addition to an ad blocker and will stop any infiltration a rogue ad might attempt on your system. Be safe on your ride as well as your web surfing. AGATT on your computer?

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Not only are those ads really annoying, it also means you are vulnerable for a browser hijacking and/or trojan bug. Adware, spyware, and ransom-ware can sneak onto your computer via advertisements, and after they get the foot in the door, they can clog up things for you or outright hold your computer ransom until you pay them a fee. Problem is they want your creditcard number to go on a spending spree and won't fix your problem. Don't give any personal info out if asked for it! My advice is to use a reputable antivirus/antispyware/firewall program to protect you at all stages. A good 2-way firewall is a must in addition to an ad blocker and will stop any infiltration a rogue ad might attempt on your system. Be safe on your ride as well as your web surfing. AGATT on your computer?

Firefox......

I always tell my friends & family to avoid IE as much as possible, but people are stubborn, or set in their ways, or who knows. Firefox is the way to go....

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

I'm stubborn as know nothing else but IE, not even sure how you change to firefox
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM

here is the link to download the latest version of firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
here is the link to download the latest version of firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
Thankyou
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Download and install firefox: https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/

Install Adblock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/

Ad EasyList to Adblock Plus: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

That will take care of most of the ads on the net.

For the ads that slip past you can use Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lemhidehelper/

It will allow you to select individual ads on websites to block, but be careful what you hide because you can break webpages if you hide the wrong thing.

If you want to get crazy you can run the no-script add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/noscript/

It is a more advanced security focused add-on that breaks many sites until you give java scripts permission to run. As a side effect video ads and the like won't be displayed.

While I'm at it use HTTPS everywhere: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
It ensures that you are making a secure connection any time one is available.

If you want any more fire fox add-on suggestions I've got a few more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

And there you go folks!!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Maybe Kiwi 41 can get THESE FOLKS to post ads here. I doubt there would be many complaints.

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode