Help with route planning (in a cage) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Help with route planning (in a cage)

Hi

I know this is a two-wheeled forum, but I don't think my wife and I would survive two-up on the V for nearly a month.

We are planning to travel from Vancouver, BC to San Simeon, CA* via the coast (route 101, etc) and then back up to Salmon Arm, BC (northern Okanagan Valley) and finally home via minor routes (i.e. staying off I5), taking 3.5 weeks, staying in B&B's, cheaper motels, etc. We will be travelling in a Subaru Forester and taking a bicycle to get my two-wheeled fix.

Other than Cannon's Beach, OR, can anybody tell us where we must stop / see / stay / spend time / avoid / etc.

We plan to use Trip Advisor for accommodation advice unless anybody has specific recommendations.

Thanks in advance

* We watched Citizen Kane the other night and the turnaround point will be Hurst's Castle

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just to throw something different in there my Aussie mate, does your wife ride as it is a lot of fun riding two bikes in a husband/wife group.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Oregon Coast is superlitive. California Coast A+
I'm a Nor Cal resident so that's where I'm the most familar. When you get to Hwy1 Hwy 101 split take Hwy 1. Hwy 101 is generaly four lane interstate running down the Inland Valley from the Coast. Hwy 1 is two lane on the coast. If you desire a change from the cool ocean air and possible fog. Just drive inland 20 minutes, it can be 20 degree's warmer in the next inland valley. You'll see why California is called the Golden State.

I'll add links to this post as time permits. so check back to this post. There more to experience than time permits
Redwoods Don't miss
Mt Tamalpais Awsome view of SF Bay area
"The Lost Coast" Untraveled Coast Rd
USAL Rd Part 1 of famous Nor Cal Dual Sport Rd Subaru OK
Sausalito and View of Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate, Cliff House to Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
Fisherman's Wharf Plus
Guerneville nice Art and Kinda Hippie town on the Russian River home of the famous Bohemian Grove
-------------------------------------------------------------
Aproximate travel dates would be nice to know for some of the activity suggestion.
"The Worlds Largest Salmon Barbeque"
Infineon Raceway
Blue & Gold Fleet, the Bay Area’s Bay Cruise, Ferry Service and Motorcoach Tours
Skunk Train
Point Reyes
Wine Country about hour scenic drive inland Napa and Sonoma maps
Santa Cruz nice with old school board walk
Monterey with aquarium and Carmel by the Sea
Big Sur

If your gonna do any camping, there are lots of beautiful campgrounds on the coast.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 03-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Just to throw something different in there my Aussie mate, does your wife ride as it is a lot of fun riding two bikes in a husband/wife group.
That would be great, but she doesn't have a licence nor a desire for one.

I only got my licence 18 months / one summer of riding ago. I plan some 'overnighters' this summer but 25 days on the road will require a cage.

At least the Forester is small, nimble and gas efficient.

We actively look to drive The Road Less Travelled - that was our theme when we did 18,000 kms / 12,000 miles through the Outback of Australia in 2005 in a lightweight 4x4 (Toyota Prado Diesel) and a tent trailer (Trak Shak)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Oregon Coast superlitive
California Coast A+, When you get to Hwy1 Hwy 101 split take Hwy 1.
Hwy 101 is generaly four lane interstate running down the Inland Valley from the Coast. Hwy 1 is two lane on the coast.
I'll add links to this post as time permits. so check back to this post. There more to experience than time permits
Redwoods Don't miss
Mt Tamalpais Awsome view of SF Bay area
"The Lost Coast" Untraveled Coast Rd
USAL Rd Part 1 of famous Nor Cal Dual Sport Rd Subaru OK
Sausalito and View of Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate, Cliff House, Golden Gate Park
Fisherman's Wharf Plus
Wow!!!! Cmoreride, this is exactly the sort of local knowledge I was looking for.

I will check back regularly.

For us the trip is the journey, not 'getting there'.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Wish you all the best bigaussie &

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks CMORERIDE for the additional ideas

We leave Vancouver, BC on May 16 and will be down to San Simeon before the end of the month.

Do you / does anybody have thoughts on how to get back north, avoiding I5 and going up the mountains? I am looking at the east side of I5 but staying in CA / OR / WA if possible.

We won't be bringing canvas this time, even though the 102 days through the Outback was was in a tent-trailer.

Cheers

Bigaussie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode