how do i display laptop video on the tv? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how do i display laptop video on the tv?

hopefully, someone here is a tech expert. i'm trying to figure out how to display streaming video from the laptop on the tv. seems like there ought to be a cable that can take th output and send into one of the tv inputs, but i'm not sure what kind of cable i need. i'm reading about usb-hdmi, -dvi and -vga. which is the right way to go?

another question... how does the laptop know to send the video to the output jack instead of to the screen? software required?

the tv is an LG, these look like the tv relevant inputs:

source is a mac, available outputs are USB and... not sure what you call this one:

if necessary, we can source from a PC laptop, i imagine that would be easier. but i'd rather use my own machine. any ideas?

tv specs listed below:
Input/Output connections 1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Side,
1 x USB 2.0 (4 pin USB Type A) - Side,
1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
1 x Component video input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear,
1 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
1 x Digital audio output (optical) (TOSLINK) - Rear,
2 x HDMI input (19 pin HDMI Type A) - Rear,
1 x RGB input (15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)) - Rear,
1 x Headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Side,
1 x Audio line-in (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Rear,
1 x Serial (9 pin D-Sub) - Rear,
1 x HDMI input (19 pin HDMI Type A) - Side
Video interface HDMI, Component, Composite
HDMI ports qty 3
PC interface VGA (HD-15)

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM

You need an HDMI cable that goes from the Mac to the TV. I don't know if Macs have HDMI jacks or not, it may be proprietary, but that's what you need.

Then you set the TV's source to whatever jack you're plugged into.

Tell the Mac to output the video to the TV - on a PC it's usually a function key, I imagine the something similar on the Mac.

Also - a quick Google query yielded this thread....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=292175
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Mac doesn't have HDMI, but it does have USB, and I think that's a DisplayPort video output next to the USB port, so something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Female-Converting-Adapter-Macbook/dp/B002V4NOCY
should do ya, along with an HDMI cable.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Another option is a MiniDisplayPort-to-Vga Adapter , which goes to the RGB IN (PC) port in your picture. My understanding from some forums is that you can try MiniDisplayport to HDMI, but may see static and/or no desktop if the HDCP (copy protection) isn't detected properly. That shouldn't be an issue with the VGA port, but some people also have had issues with these types of adapters.

For MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI adapters, read here.

No matter what you use, it might require some experimentation and patience to get it right (isn't that always the way with computers?).

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 03-01-2011 at 05:02 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Note: The Apple Mini DisplayPort only outputs video signal. To receive audio from your Mini DisplayPort-enabled MacBook or MacBook Pro, you'll need to connect it to your stereo receiver or TV using an audio cable. The other alternative is an adapter that can get the audio out via USB and combine it with the video from the DisplayPort and send both via HDMI. That's what this does, http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Female-Converting-Adapter-Macbook/dp/B002V4NOCY , although I don't own one and can't vouch for it. The reviews look good and helpful though....

Note kevrider (original poster) has a Mac, PC's do not have DisplayPort, so if you are reading this and you don't have a Mac, you'll have to find a different solution.

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 03-02-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Clarification so non-Mac users don't buy suggested Mac solution
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Another option is a MiniDisplayPort-to-Vga Adapter , which goes to the RGB IN (PC) port in your picture. My understanding from some forums is that you can try MiniDisplayport to HDMI, but may see static and/or no desktop if the HDCP (copy protection) isn't detected properly. That shouldn't be an issue with the VGA port, but some people also have had issues with these types of adapters.

For MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI adapters, read here.

No matter what you use, it might require some experimentation and patience to get it right (isn't that always the way with computers?).

Dave C
+1

You need a "MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI" and then connect you "Audio line out" on your own mini desktop speaker

Their's no sound output from the "MiniDisplayport" and your tv will be waiting for sound from it's HDMI port so thier will be some conflict if you try to pass sound true the tv

LOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

i've ordered a miniDP-HDMI and a miniDP-VGA. not sure my machine will do HDMI, it's rather old (pre-snow leopard) so i'll see which works and maybe give one to my sister. already have a miniplug-RCA, since i play music thru the stereo often. should be good to go.

i like these monoprice cables, no adapters required.

thanks for the info, gents.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Option one–From your Mac's mini display port, you would need the VGA adapter. From there, obtain the VGA cable and plug it in to the back of your TV. You would still need to do something about the sound. The mini stereo headphone jack to an RCA red and white adapter would do the trick if you wanted to run it to your stereo. You can also plug in computer speakers you just wanted sound.

Option two–using the mini display port to DVI adapter, you could pick up a cable that would convert DVI to HDMI. (similar to what pictured above in the last post, but DVI)I have done this frequently here at the university where I work and it does a great job. I have purchased these DVI to HDMI cables from Best Buy, the Apple Store as well as RadioShack. You would still have to do something about the sound has neither one of these options carries any sound.

Most likely, your MacBook Pro came with the mini display port to DVI adapter. This makes it a good option as there are the adapter cables from HDMI to DVI readily available. This would probably be your least expensive option as well. If you're using your MacBook Pro, it should automatically detect the maximum resolution of your television and display it.

good hunting

Last edited by drumdaddy; 03-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 AM

In these days of wireless, why mess with wires? I know, it's the less expensive route, but as an option go you could go wireless. You'll need a wireless receiver to connect to your tv, such as the Western Digital WD TV Live (Plus), or what I got to do the same was this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119034

Yeah it might be a bit techie, but it works really well and with no wires! You'll be connecting wirelessly via IP (internet protocol) address, so it doesn't matter if you are running a mac or pc. There's several devices available out there that do what you want to do. Search by "stream media to tv".

http://reviews.cnet.com/apple-tv-review#reviewPage1

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

the cables arrived last night, i tested them this morning. it worked with the VGA, it worked with the HDMI. once i figured out that the tv is located to the "right" of the monitor, i was golden. thanks guys.

blue, i like the wireless idea, might have a look at that down the road.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 03-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM

In major presentations just like stage performances and conventions,an HDMI splitter device happens to be very helpful. People who find themselves at the very end of a stadium or convention center most likely are not fortunate to enjoy the show just like the people located at the front. As a way to enable the audience to be able to observe precisely what is ahead, huge displays are usually setup. Event producers will be able to do this by using the hdmi splitters to connect a video camcorder to multiple huge hd displays..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode