Skype - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Friends of our are moving to work in middle east so we have just tonight set up skype. Was given a camera about a year ago and managed to get that working by down loading the software for it.

My main question for all the computer experts, can you give me any specific advice about the do's and don't of skype?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check these out for more info:

http://www.helium.com/items/975534-p...-cons-of-skype

http://www.ehow.com/list_5929261_pros-cons-skype.html

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/33811515...-Pros-and-Cons

I myself use gmail free webchat and I'm happy with it.

There are multiple webchat services and apps out there, many orientated towards social networking and contacting multiple people simultaneously. I'd advise staying away from them. You can catch viruses and malware on such sites or services 'cause the hackers/scammers/phishers frequent such sites and networks 'cause for them it's like shooting fish in a barrel. You might even inadvertently connect to people that you really didn't want to know, perverts in particular.

Skype or gmail webchat is quite safe and secure, but keep in mind that NOTHING you do online is really private and it's always possible to be intercepted from multiple locations. The internet is like driving on roads with LOTS of intersections, any of which to be seen from. Yeah, there's lots of traffic out there and you will probably be ignored, but there's a tremendous amount of inappropriate webcam video that was somehow saved and thrown out for public viewing much to the embarrassment of whomever. I hear everyday that some teacher, preacher, politician, etc. has "resigned" their position because of some indiscretion found on a facebook page, craigslist reply, or whatever.

Enjoy video chatting with your friend, it's truly amazing technology!

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point

Last edited by miblue; 02-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Nothing to it Phil.
Just create an account and you are set.
Skype to Skype calls and chats are free, and for calling landlines and mobiles from your computer you need to buy Skype credit (10$ minimum). I never tried the credit but I know many have and it works OK.

If you're only interested in calls and don't want to sit by the computer doing it, there are a lot of cheep Skype phones which look like regular landline phones.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Garage
Skype is great, with a good high speed internet connection. My wife was offered a nice promotion and pay raise, but the new job was 500 miles away. We use Skype to keep our kids in contact with the grandparents, and other family. It works out very well.

Mark

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Living in Mexico, I use Skype a lot to talk to friends in the US and other countries. It's a great program. There used to be an option in the "online status" drop down menu below the "Skyoe" in the navigation bar that was called "Skype me". I'm not sure it exists anymore, but don't click that icon, as it's an open invitation for spammers to contact you. You'll still get periodic requests from users asking you to add them to your contacts list. Again, don't add anyone who you're not sure of their identity, unless you like getting a bunch of crap in your chats/calls.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
There used to be an option in the "online status" drop down menu below the "Skyoe" in the navigation bar that was called "Skype me". I'm not sure it exists anymore, but don't click that icon, as it's an open invitation for spammers to contact you. You'll still get periodic requests from users asking you to add them to your contacts list. Again, don't add anyone who you're not sure of their identity, unless you like getting a bunch of crap in your chats/calls.
There is a setting that you can have on line, off line, away, invisible (whatever that does). Will take your advice and set off line to we master how to use it correctly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Check these out for more info:

http://www.helium.com/items/975534-p...-cons-of-skype

http://www.ehow.com/list_5929261_pros-cons-skype.html

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/33811515...-Pros-and-Cons

I myself use gmail free webchat and I'm happy with it.

There are multiple webchat services and apps out there, many orientated towards social networking and contacting multiple people simultaneously. I'd advise staying away from them. You can catch viruses and malware on such sites or services 'cause the hackers/scammers/phishers frequent such sites and networks 'cause for them it's like shooting fish in a barrel. You might even inadvertently connect to people that you really didn't want to know, perverts in particular.

Skype or gmail webchat is quite safe and secure, but keep in mind that NOTHING you do online is really private and it's always possible to be intercepted from multiple locations. The internet is like driving on roads with LOTS of intersections, any of which to be seen from. Yeah, there's lots of traffic out there and you will probably be ignored, but there's a tremendous amount of inappropriate webcam video that was somehow saved and thrown out for public viewing much to the embarrassment of whomever. I hear everyday that some teacher, preacher, politician, etc. has "resigned" their position because of some indiscretion found on a facebook page, craigslist reply, or whatever.

Enjoy video chatting with your friend, it's truly amazing technology!

Cheers for the links and the good advice
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 PM
vp7

I use it to communicate with Europe etc. etc. mostly just voice or chat unless both ends have high speed internet and a decent camera.

Invisible means that you're online and can see who else is online but you are invisible (or appear offline) to your friends. Hence you will not be receiving everybody's phone calls when you don't want to.

Just play around with it and you'll see it works pretty good.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Have tested it with a friend that lives local and the speed of my broadband is up to handling the video and we have good news where we are as the closest phone exchange is due to be upgraded withing 12 months and a girl at NZ telecom said your going to have a pretty fast connection as they have been laying a new cable going right past my mail box.

It certainly seems a great way to communicate nationally and globally
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Question on the web camera's.

Just rang up on of the local shops and prices go from $39 up to over a $100 now obviously the advantage of the more expensive camera is that it will not distort as much on full screen.

Is there any brand that is better and what tips when looking for a camera, now we have a working one but not really to impressed with its quality
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Phil,

Try getting a camera with HD capability (1280 X 720)
http://amperordirect.wordpress.com/2...arket-for-now/

I bought a Panasonic V series 50 inch with built-in skype so I can talk/see my family when off at work. As long there's internet, the world's my oyster.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM

I've used Microsoft and Logitech webcams. I prefer the Logitech because of the styling. Look for high def (HD) capability such as this one:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam...s/devices/7075

I recently bought this model for my folks for $15 on sale here in the states. I have no idea what you will pay for something similar in NZ.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point

Last edited by miblue; 02-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Hey Kiwi,

2 things:

1- Skype works great, but if your internet connection is not so good in between both callers and you try using a camera, it will make it worst. But you can use only voice which works pretty well.
2- You mentionned middle East, I don't know about all countries, but I was in Dubai and Skype did not work since it is banned in the UEA.

I use it all the time on the road world wide for work and home. I use it mostly on my Iphone and Ipad.

Thanks
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Hey Kiwi,

2 things:

1- Skype works great, but if your internet connection is not so good in between both callers and you try using a camera, it will make it worst. But you can use only voice which works pretty well.
2- You mentionned middle East, I don't know about all countries, but I was in Dubai and Skype did not work since it is banned in the UEA.

I use it all the time on the road world wide for work and home. I use it mostly on my Iphone and Ipad.

Thanks
According to skype my broudband connection is medium and my freind in saudi has been skype his wife back here alright.

Here is a couple of pic's of my camera that was given us, fastoman daughter was the 2nd person we tried it on and said the picture was good but was laughing at me playing with this new tech.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 02-11-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode