When World's oil runs out and civilization collapses - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When World's oil runs out and civilization collapses

- Will you be switching to bicycles?

I recently stumbled upon a video review of a bag that is also used by bicyclists, and I was amazed how familiar all the words were.
Guy was talking about preparing the bicycle for a long 'adventure tour' and was talking about sprockets and chain, handlebars, tail lights, luggage racks, brake lines, seat comfort, camping gear...
Apart that he was wearing spandex, I was very familiar with all of this.
There had to be more to this 'bicycle touring', so I dug deeper and there is a world of enthusiast and communities that is probably as large as motorcycle one.

I haven't ridden (except the stationary one at the gym) or owned a bicycle in over 15 years and compared to motorcycles they still seem silly to me. Using them for commuting, fun or long distance travel is a definite no-no in my area.

One has to admit that in the long run, bicyclists have us beaten.
Depending on how seriously you take the 'peak oil' theory, it's coming sooner or later. Oil will run out and become insanely expensive (isn't it already?). All our combustion-engine machines will become scraps of metal.
I feel that it's already upon us and I'm sad I won't be able to enjoy motorcycles in an affordable way.

I really, really enjoy speed, two wheel concept and getting from A to B in a manner that is quicker then walking.
I may consider this bicycle business after all. I promise not to wear spandex.

*I guess another alternative is horse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Garage
Not in my life time............................

Mark

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Nor I.
There is more oil sitting underground in north American than all of the middle east put together. When market conditions and demand will support it then it will be extracted. Oil supply is not in question. There is more oil sitting under South Dakota than there is in Alaska. But it's gonna cost at least a couple of hundred dollars per barrel to get it.

VW announces hybrid car with 1L diesel that gets 260mpg. Due out in a couple of years.

There will be technology advances made to continue on. Not life nor lifestyle is going to cease to exist at some short point into the future.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Oil is not just going to run out. It is just going to get progressively more and more expensive, and force alternative developments, which people will adopt. We'll always have enough oil to make plastic.

We drive a small diesel station wagon and get 38 mpg around town and 60 on the highway. It costs me slightly more to run my Versys. I feel pretty smug about that, and can't understand why:

1. there aren't more options for economical vehicles, like there is in the rest of the world, and

2. Why anyone in the market for a new vehicle would opt for anything (re: most new cars) that didn't get less than stellar gas mileage, and I don't mean those inflated highway numbers they are using nowadays. Most often it's not even a real consideration for the consumer, and they wind up comparing mileage between two similarily bad vehicles.

The highest mpg vehicles that have been produced were back in 1987 when the average fuel economy was 27 MPG. It's been down hill to some degree ever since. Shame on us. The hell with the Humscelade generation I says! Give me more diesel/ diesel electric/gas electric/plug in options damn it!

Rant over

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 01-29-2011 at 11:29 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Three Laws
1. Cause and Effect
2. Interconnectedness
3. Impermanence

Denial is not a River in Egypt!

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM

There won't be endless threads on the forum about motor oil, I guess.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
There won't be endless threads on the forum about motor oil, I guess.

Actually, there'll be countless threads, with the "hindsight" crowd, the "I told you so's", the "There was nothing we could do", the "alternatives"...

Oh it'll go on & n & on & on & on & on....

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Why anyone in the market for a new vehicle would opt for anything (re: most new cars) that didn't get less than stellar gas mileage ... Rant over
Our enormously productive economy… demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption… We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate.
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

We are Americans Dog Damn-it. We are removed from the consequences of our consumption. As long as I can afford it, I can consume it. There is no moral argument in consumption. And our foreign policy is not driven by our "way of life" or consumption.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...ns_per_cap.htm

At least a bunch of us ride 650 cc motorcycles that get 50mpg most of the time.
Although it's kind of amazing that some auto's carry four adults and can get similar mileage

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Our enormously productive economy… demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption… We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate.
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

We are Americans Dog Damn-it. We are removed from the consequences of our consumption. As long as I can afford it, I can consume it. There is no moral argument in consumption. And our foreign policy is not driven by our "way of life" or consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

At least a bunch of us ride 650 cc motorcycles that get 50mpg most of the time.
Although it's kind of amazing that some auto's carry four adults and can get similar mileage
At nowhere NEAR the price.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Back to the bicycle thing, I don't know why you are surprised a lot of the terminology is the same. After all, a motorcycle is just a bicycle with an engine.

My father met my mother in a bicycling club back in the 50's and he was good enough to turn professional but there was no money in it back then. So safe to say I grew up around bicycles He never did own a car so the only time I got out of my home town was on my bike. The first time I saw the Scottish Highlands was from my bike at 15 years old with a tent strapped on the back. Fantastic memories.

For me motorcycling is a natural extension of cycling now that I am old and lazy, but there are many similarities and in some ways cycling is actually better. The way folks describe being on a bike as being in the environment as opposed to just passing through it in a car, well take that experience and repeat it when you go from motorbike to bicycle. You experience so much more on a bicycle, sights, smells etc, not to mention you are even more exposed to the weather. That trip through the Highlands I stopped to refill my water bottle from a stream and was admiring the tiny arched brick bridge that the road went over when I noticed an inscription on it dating from 1730 when the English army built a road into the Highlands to subdue the rebellious Scots. Would never have seen that from a motorcycle.

And while you are never going to capture the same feelings of speed, there is a lot to be said for hammering down a mountain side on 1/4" tires at 50mph with ****ty brakes and no protective gear. That certainly gets your attention!

Now where did I put that spandex...
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM

When World's oil runs out and civilization collapses

If that should happen in your lifetime - just drink another glass of the Kool-aid
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM

The Hirsch report, the commonly referred to name for the report Peaking of World Oil Production: Impacts, Mitigation, and Risk Management, was created by request for the US Department of Energy and published in February 2005. It examined the time frame for the occurrence of peak oil, the necessary mitigating actions, and the likely impacts based on the timeliness of those actions.

The Lead Author, Robert Hirsch, published a brief summary of this report in October 2005 for the Atlantic Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsch_report

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Harness the power of running on water and worlds energy problems solved, end of story.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Harness the power of running on water and worlds energy problems solved, end of story.

Well... there are problems with using water too....

But that's a whole 'nuther thread....

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Well... there are problems with using water too....

But that's a whole 'nuther thread....

Whoops forget to use my little friend on my last reply
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Whoops forget to use my little friend on my last reply
Hahaha!!! Always a pleasure Phil!!

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
- Victor Lebow, ...1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8
Enjoyed the youtube vid cmoreride
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Good stuff there...I actually learned something.
I guess there must be something to why I don't like TV or shopping.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Enjoyed the youtube vid cmoreride
I have just forwarded that video on to friends and family.

20 minutes well spent

thanks cmoreride

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
http://waterpoweredcar.com/archieblue.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode