To err is human, but - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To err is human, but

total stupidity only happens when the government gets involved.

A long story made short, so as to not bore you all too much.

The government idiots have contacted me 3 times lately.
They are asking questions about the economy, and how its affected my business.
When asked how many employees I may have had to lay off, terminate, or at least cut the hours worked. I replied with "0".
Under other comments, I said if I could find qualified people, I would hire 2 more employees.
Well ever since they keep asking me more and more questions, about why my business is so busy in a down economy.
But mostly why if I need more staff, I don't just hire them.

Well yesterday they called again, and asked me "WHY" I cannot find staff that are qualified.
I responded with, " I even ran ads in 4 different publications, but not 1 qualified person responded"
This was not good enough though.
Instead she rambled on and on, and kept wasting my time.
I tried nicely to say I had to go.
Later I just flat said I have to go, bye.
Well nothing worked, so I just hung up.
I could see her trying to call back numerous times, so just never answered the phone.
Today 2 idiots showed up, because they could not reach me by phone.
More questions, and more time wasted.
I took them to where we have 4 projects in progress, and said if you can find me someone that can do this sort of work, to perfection, and does not need babysitting, let me know.
Otherwise please piss off and stop wasting my time, I am already behind.
That seemed to get their attention, and they started to leave.
Only to ask me when it would be convenient to "Follow up with me".
I said NEVER.
They said okay, we will not call for a few weeks.
Sigh.
How the heck do people get so stupid.
Maybe they have nothing but free time, but others are busy, and want to be left alone.

I hate our useless government.


I just needed to rant, feel better now, thanks.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Member
 
bigaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What sort of business are you in?

What sort of staff do you need?

You might find them on this forum.


Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigaussie is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Member
 
Ivan V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Balkan
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1984.
Ivan V is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Member
 
dmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm also curious as to what you do. After 12 years in business, it seems I've gradually got to the point where most of my friends are business owners, and we all struggle with finding, training, and keeping good help.

Something interesting to consider (and I'll bear in mind that I don't know what it is you do) is a tidbit I picked up in the book "The E Myth Revisited": consider for a moment, instead of looking to hire a person with experience in your field, someone who is instead simply eager to work hard and learn with an open mind. Sometimes someone with a background in your field brings with them "their" way of doing things instead of "yours", including their bad habits which they will likely never unlearn. Anyway, the book probably does a much better job of pointing out the benefits of this concept, I recommend checking it out if you can make the time for it.

Last edited by dmason; 01-28-2011 at 01:06 AM.
dmason is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Member
 
dmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
1984.
A reference to the Orwellian fiction I'm assuming? How so?

I'm not suggesting that the OPs recent experience was not an unpleasant one from the sound of things, but many small business owners might be encouraged by the government showing interest in their issues, let alone acknowledging that we even exist.
dmason is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Member
 
miblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SW Michigan USA
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Came across this a few days ago and made me realize the crap we are going through isn't new at all, it's just human nature. It may or may not apply to the disscussion here, but it's an awesome quote nonetheless:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Cicero 55 BC

What have we learned in 2,065 years?

Evidently nothing.

.

.
Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
miblue is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: boston, MA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, by saying you want someone who can do the sort of work you have "to perfection" without any "babysitting" (read: no help from you) I take it to mean you are willing to pay this person "top dollar"?
blipco is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Lours_Polaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way up north
Posts: 1,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Back to the topic

They are waisting everybody's their time ... maybe they could be reported for harrasement ...
Or could it be your competitor that's trying to get looney ...

my .02$


LOP
Lours_Polaire is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Member
 
thecreeper77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Union Co. New Jersey.
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
0.02 /on

Sounds like they are being a bit inefficient. Iím sure their intentions are good but, there is a disconnect here.

Iíd say when and if they come back try to help them. Ask to speak to their supervisor, get a few email addresses etc. Let them know that you want to help. Let their bosses know whatís happened and how you feel and how you think they can be more efficient, something to this effect anyway.

Contact you elected officals.

Its good to let off steam, but once you let it out take it to the next level and do your part for change. We need more people to help, not just complain.


0.02 /off

Ride safe

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E.ô Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit


1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
thecreeper77 is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
What sort of business are you in?

What sort of staff do you need?

You might find them on this forum.

Sorry, I should have mentioned what I do.
Custom wood working, I myself am a Master cabinet maker.
Current projects are 2 woody wagons, a house reno with custom kitchen, laundry room, and all wood spiral staircase, its an extra challenge since its 2 hours away. Making a custom bedroom set, dining room set, and repairing/restoring a wooden antique boat for another customer.
An experienced Master cabinet maker, is hard to find, and I expect nothing less than perfection in their work.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper77 View Post
0.02 /on

Sounds like they are being a bit inefficient. Iím sure their intentions are good but, there is a disconnect here.

Iíd say when and if they come back try to help them. Ask to speak to their supervisor, get a few email addresses etc. Let them know that you want to help. Let their bosses know whatís happened and how you feel and how you think they can be more efficient, something to this effect anyway.

Contact you elected officals.

Its good to let off steam, but once you let it out take it to the next level and do your part for change. We need more people to help, not just complain.


0.02 /off

Ride safe
Good tips, thanks.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
So, by saying you want someone who can do the sort of work you have "to perfection" without any "babysitting" (read: no help from you) I take it to mean you are willing to pay this person "top dollar"?
The right person would start at $35.50 per hour.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Back to the topic

They are waisting everybody's their time ... maybe they could be reported for harrasement ...
Or could it be your competitor that's trying to get looney ...

my .02$


LOP
Could be, but never thought of that.
I generally leave others alone, and never had an issue with other shops before.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Came across this a few days ago and made me realize the crap we are going through isn't new at all, it's just human nature. It may or may not apply to the disscussion here, but it's an awesome quote nonetheless:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Cicero 55 BC

What have we learned in 2,065 years?

Evidently nothing.

.
Thats good, I like it.
And yes, I wish government would help the people of its own country first, in my case Canada, and also they would have learned from history, and also balance the budget, and get debt under control.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
A reference to the Orwellian fiction I'm assuming? How so?

I'm not suggesting that the OPs recent experience was not an unpleasant one from the sound of things, but many small business owners might be encouraged by the government showing interest in their issues, let alone acknowledging that we even exist.
When they first contacted me, I was impressed that they even knew I existed, beyond wanting to gouge for their tax dollars.
And I was more than happy to be asked for input on the struggles of running a small business, and about the economies impact on me.

Its now just a waste of time though, and its not like they are helping.
I feel when asked by someone to be left alone, their wish should be granted.
Thats all i ask, is to be left alone, not make me feel harrassed.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
1984.
Orwell had it pretty close to correct for sure.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
arewethereyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
I'm also curious as to what you do. After 12 years in business, it seems I've gradually got to the point where most of my friends are business owners, and we all struggle with finding, training, and keeping good help.

Something interesting to consider (and I'll bear in mind that I don't know what it is you do) is a tidbit I picked up in the book "The E Myth Revisited": consider for a moment, instead of looking to hire a person with experience in your field, someone who is instead simply eager to work hard and learn with an open mind. Sometimes someone with a background in your field brings with them "their" way of doing things instead of "yours", including their bad habits which they will likely never unlearn. Anyway, the book probably does a much better job of pointing out the benefits of this concept, I recommend checking it out if you can make the time for it.
I just do not have time now to take on another apprentice.

Seems many have a college degree in whatever, but good luck finding a skilled craftsman.
I ran ads asking for qualified Master cabinet makers, instead had people apply with no wood experience, but say a bachelors of art, and minor in say history.
Or others with a degree in forestry, but agin their wood shop experience was a class or 2 way back in high school. But they can tell me their theory on how to estimate the volume of a forest to be cut, as it realates to logging truck loads of wood.
I buy logging truck loads of wood sometimes, but do not log.
Now if you can restore say a 48 ford woody, or 36 chevy woody, or build a custom butcher block counter top, a murphy bed with full wall custom teak bookcases to, or a custom spiral staircase with railing.
Do it with minimal guidance/babysitting, and the customer is thrilled with end results, then yes by all means I want them.
But their Bsc, or whatever degree in some other field does not matter to me.
The best applicant I had was a young lady who was working in a dental office, but had 4 years of high school wood shop classes, and a general interest in working with her hands, and a love for wood.
I have considered taking her on as an apprentice, and we have discussed it a few times.
But currently I do not have the time to take her under my wing.
If it slows down some, I think I might though.
Of course she would get paid less than a fully qualified person, but she seemed happy to come anyways for just a start wage of 16.50 hour.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
arewethereyet is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Ivan V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Balkan
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
A reference to the Orwellian fiction I'm assuming? How so?

I'm not suggesting that the OPs recent experience was not an unpleasant one from the sound of things, but many small business owners might be encouraged by the government showing interest in their issues, let alone acknowledging that we even exist.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but it didn't sound very benevolent to me.

To me, "Government showing interest" only means money out of people's pocket or repression.
Ivan V is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Member
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this Feds or Provincial idiots?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Red Herring is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Member
 
offcamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
You need my dad....he's retired but he can build beautiful furniture....funny thing is his education is Civil Engineering and spent most of his life in sales and management.

Good Luck
offcamber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome