New car advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
New car advice

looking to buy a new or nearly new car. I want something small economical (not Hybrid) and cheap....under 20K. Something a little sporty would be nice....don't want a dog.

Been looking at Ford Fiesta, Or Honda Fit....the ford gets better mileage

Suggestions....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
looking to buy a new or nearly new car. I want something small economical (not Hybrid) and cheap....under 20K. Something a little sporty would be nice....don't want a dog.

Been looking at Ford Fiesta, Or Honda Fit....the ford gets better mileage

Suggestions....?

Have you checked out the KIA Forte very sporty was shocked it was a KIA.But

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
We have a 1300 cc Suzuki swift, very economic like a racing sewing machine, there is a 15oocc sports version but we got a 07 no frills model but does the job.
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM

check out the honda civic. You can get them for under 20k out the door and has more power and smoother ride than honda fit. It feels sportier than the toyota corolla that I test drove.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM

i put a couple of thou on a rental Fit once. i would definitely look right past it to the Fit Sport; base model is a dog.

iirc, ford fiesta = mazda2.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Hyundai's new 2011 Elantra with new fuel efficient 148 HP 1.8 dual variable valve timing engine, and 6 spd manual or auto tranny is pretty interesting.
My 2004 Toyota Corolla (9th gen) manual is hard to beat, but I'll wait for the 11th generation in 2014, possibly with a smaller direct-injected turbo engine as Toyota wants to stay ahead of Hyundai and Kia...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/

Last edited by invader; 01-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 AM

Scion TC. Mazda 3 and 2. Honda Civic Si. Chevrolet Cobalt SS (don't laugh, the newer turbo version outlapped a bunch of more expensive cars in Car and Driver's Lightning Lap a couple of years ago). Volkswagen Golf GTI or Jetta GLI. Mini Cooper. Nissan Sentra SE-R. Mustang V6. Pontiac G6 GT.

Most of these will be of the new-ish persuasion to get under the 20k mark. Or if you go not-so-new-ish, you could even go BMW 3-series, although service costs probably shoot the economical requirement. WRX, Mazdaspeed 3 or Lancer Ralliart if you're willing to take the mileage hit.

But your initial thought is probably spot-on; the Fit Sport has been called the most fun in its segment by a bunch of different publications. If you can find one.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM

Do you guys get the Nissan Versa in the States? I'm a big fan of the hatchback body style. To me it's the most useful. CVT transmission which makes it very fuel efficient. Comfy car. I wanted one, my wife wanted big, so we got a Venza.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions....I am limited on dealers as I live in the sticks...I don't want to have to drive to far to get service if I need it....but I will take all the suggestions under advisement.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I had a Civic, never had to do a damn thing to it besides oil and gas. If you have limited service and dealer options, the Honda will run forEVER. Love mine. In fact, I have had two.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM

i had a mazda 3 hatch for a while. it was quite the little sleeper and got killer mileage. nary a problem from it - very good build quality. it looks a little funky but most new cars do.

check it out!

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM

With the price of gas going up and probally not coming back down I would look into the 2011 VW Golf TDI diesel. In fact this will be my next car when its time for me to purchase.

2009 Versys Green
2007 Triumph Sprint St
2003 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Honda VFR
1997 Kawasaki ZX9R
1986 Honda VF500 Interceptor
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM

if you haven't already, you should get your hands on a Consumer Reports car buyers guide. all of our anecdotal advice is nice, but that CR is gold.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM

+1 on Honda, any Honda. We have owned them for 25 years, from Civics ,CRVs, Accords, Odessey's to Elements, they are all outstanding and hold their resale value better than any other car I know of. BTW when we have a family gathering
like Christmas, our driveway literally looks like a Honda dealership.

My Album:
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Now V-Zee, don't get me started on a rant about GM and Chrysler and the too big to fail argument....without our failures how do we learn and grow?

I've only owned one Ford, but my next car will be one.....

One of our fine Canadian businesses had a fire in their plant recently and had to totally rebuild....while they were rebuilding they looked after their employees...an option to work in an out of town plant with living expenses(hotels etc.) paid, was given!

Awesome company....wish I could say my feelings were the same toward the automakers....no loyalty left here!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM

08 up Scion XB. Limo rear seat, good driver, great mileage, cheap to buy and own, it's a tool.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

A bit of an update....I drove a Toyota Corolla today...let me start by saying I owned 2 Corollas. And 88 and 92. They havent changed much in 18 years. Decent basic transportation but boring as he'll....sorry Toyota your out. Next I went across to the Ford dealer....looked the Fiesta over pretty good...test drove it....had blast driving it, lots of neat gadgets to play with. Price and mpg are right in there so far the Ford has it. Tomorrow I hit the Honda dealer....the only Honda I like is the Fit....sorry a well equipped Civic is out of my price range and well lets face it....it's kinda dull. No offense the Civic owners...I'm sure they are great cars....just not for me.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM

I should note that the Hyundai Elantra I drove was the previous generation car. I have not tried the new version, but I'll probably do so soon - have a friend who sells for Hyundai.

That said, I have driven the Genesis Coupe and sedan, and came away underwelmed. Could the Elantra be an improvement? Anything's possible. I know one thing - the new Hyundais are better LOOKING cars than many of the Hondas.
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Offcamber - by all means, if the Fiesta wins over your heart then go for it! Do keep one thing in mind: the resale value of the Ford will almost certainly be nowhere near that of the Honda. The resale value of the Fit is pretty amazing.

That said, some people prefer to drive a car until the chassis rusts through, so resale may not be a huge factor for you.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Talks about a new Ford Fiesta ST direct injected turbo 1.6 ~ 170 HP as seen tested in Michigan were interesting, but would probably be over $20000 total... They say more power in the actual Fiesta would be nice.
Koreans are really coming along in design and engineering, with refinement getting closer to the Japs. They're all working at releasing more efficient, smaller DI turbo engines soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode