When you retire - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When you retire

When you retire, what are your hopes and dreams for things to do.
While I am still a long ways off from retirement, I already dream about what I want to do.

I hope to build a boat big enough for 2 to live on, and travel the oceans and seas of the world, and live onboard.
I will sell our current house, and land.
Not sure how many years I want to do this, but could be 2 years, maybe 8 years, only time will tell.
Once we decide to stop doing this, I plan to sell the boat, and build a nice cozy home, on a small acreage. Just a modest home, all on 1 floor so no stairs to do as we become old.
Then i want to travel a few months a year, and live a quiet home life the rest of the time.

So anyone else got dreams for retirement.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Bit far away for me to think about it but probably travel a lot and keep on riding
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking like you, but on land. I'd like to travel & see things, then when I'm ready, settle down somewhere, in a simple home & maybe take a nice vacation here & there.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Heck I haven't even started a real job yet! I'm not sure where I'll end up but I imagine it'll be a house somewhere in the country with a nice workshop\machine shop to tinker with and store my bikes.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Bit far away for me to think about it but probably travel a lot and keep on riding
Sadly its a ways away for me to.
I am only 44, but planning.
Got boat plans and house plans drawn.
Have been for many years already collecting stuff to build the boat with.
Its a long term planning, and buying thing for me.
I just hope to retire young enough, and healthy enough to follow through on my plans.
All the powertrain, fuel tanks, generator, gauges, stainless steel deck and interior fittings are too pricey new.
So buying used and fixing them if needed.
Bought an entire old boat to strip, and keep the usuable parts from.
For years been researching boat design, and building methods.

Should be well prepared by the time its a reality when I sell out and retire.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank

Last edited by arewethereyet; 01-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Are you going to sell your Ferrari? JK

Some say retirement is over rated. Live for today, ride your motorcycle! (when it gets warm enough!)

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Rik

Small Gulf coast Florida cottage with a small garage for bikes. 25 to 30 foot sailboat for weekenders and coastal cruising and Great health to enjoy it all.....THAT oughta do it!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
I have no idea when I will stop working, but I have decided to change jobs and fulfill two of the sentiments described above. I will now have 4 hours of commuting a day - I could either ride on I-25 or take the Turquoise Trail every day (http://www.turquoisetrail.org/). I will have to see how many miles I can put on the Versys.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 PM

I hope to have enough money tucked away when I retire ( in about 15 years ) so that I only have to work ONE part time job to survive. Pension is ( essentially ) gone and the 401k is still hurting from the stock market crap in the last few years. It's kinda funny, 20 years ago the "retirement estimator" said I would have 2.5 MILLION in my 401k after 25 years of service, it better get moving soon

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Now here's a sticky wicket.
Ya see, the thing is this...I'm 51 years young.
Been pursuing my livelihood for 30 years now.
I'd like to think I have another 25 or 30 years in me. Why stop now or when I'm 65 etc. when the funs just getting good.
Many of my...betters... are still practicing there craft at the age of 70 ( and can run circles around our apprentices) and wouldn't have it any other way.

I never really understood the concept of 'retirement'.
I don't need to see Paris...or Rome...or the Scottish highlands but, The grand canyon would be nice.
...and when i can't do what I do to justify my place in the world anymore....
Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
In the mean time, an occasional holiday with my sweetie then back to the 'show' is all I need and everything I ever wanted.
being productive is a wonderful gift.
Why would anyone ever want to stop being productive...If I can no longer contribute then what's the point.
Pull the plug and step aside so the next in line can take there shot.
But retirement...I don't think so.
Peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 01-18-2011 at 08:18 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 PM

To answer your initial question
something like this, part time and doing what I already like doing and doing more service to the comunity.

Have seen these folks site <Bruce Roberts> ?
Been around a long time.

These are very interesting.

Spent many many years with the same dream. Unless a person is seaking the reward by the build. A quicker way from point A to point B is to buy used.

"Dreams" are an interesting thing, with the right view we can be living our dreams today.

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift, that's why it's called the Present"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
When you retire, what are your hopes and dreams for things to do.
While I am still a long ways off from retirement, I already dream about what I want to do.

I hope to build a boat big enough for 2 to live on, and travel the oceans and seas of the world, and live onboard.
I will sell our current house, and land.
Not sure how many years I want to do this, but could be 2 years, maybe 8 years, only time will tell.
Once we decide to stop doing this, I plan to sell the boat, and build a nice cozy home, on a small acreage. Just a modest home, all on 1 floor so no stairs to do as we become old.
Then i want to travel a few months a year, and live a quiet home life the rest of the time.

So anyone else got dreams for retirement.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-18-2011 at 09:16 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM

I've been retired for eight years now. My advice to everyone, enjoy everything you do. If you're doing something you don't enjoy, then change to something you do enjoy. Make sure you enjoy your job. We spend so many hours on the job, it's important that we enjoy it. And, keep working as long as you enjoy and feel good about what you're doing. Don't wait for retirement to enjoy life. Make the world what you want it to be.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM

There's an old saying:...Nobody on their death bed ever said " I should have spent more time at the office" however, if you love what you do and feel your making a contribution to whatever, than absolutely go for it.

Not me....I retired 4 years ago @ 55 and love it. Now I get to control how I spend my day, not somebody else. Don't get me wrong, I liked my job and the people, but it was still just that, a job, a means to an end. I wanted to enjoy my favorite activities while I was still young and healthy enough. Traveling, camping, riding, ect. without any restrictions and having the time of my life.

Plan now, your time will come sooner than you think.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM

I am 10 years away from retirement but have everything I want in a home. Was in the Navy for 20 years so sailing around on a boat doesnt intrest me much. Hopefully a trip on a motorcycle all the way to the tip of South America "might do it before I retire". Hopefully just stay healthy and watch kids become productive adults. Outdoorguyatv I feel your pain on the "retirement estimator". Had plans on retiring at 55 before the stocks took a dive.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 AM

I hope to retire in four years, at fifty, and play with bikes to make a few bucks to get by. The first thing I plan on doing is riding bikes with my four kids on route 66 and then route 50 back. After that spending time with the grandkids and more bike trips.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM

When we retire, (Jan 2016), my wife and I plan to see a Major Leage baseball game in every major league park in the lower 48, in one season, all by motorcycle. Get to see a lot of our country on those rides too!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!
2009 Versys
2-06 Triumph Rocket III's
2006 Triumph Sprint
1997 Honda PC 800
1987 Yamaha BW 350
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM

I have at least 3 or 4 years left till I pull the trigger on retirement. I will probably just keep riding the USA, and hopefully see some of Canada's treasures or New Zealand (thanks Kiwi).
My major drawback is that my wife is 12 years younger than me and she will have to continue to work. She has put over 100,000 miles on a bike following me everywhere. I don't cherish the thought of leaving her while I ride somewhere. So, unless we hit the Lottery, I will just have to wait till her vacation time comes up and we continue doing what we do now.
How fortunate I am, that she share my passion for motorcycles and travel.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I'm 68 and retired. What you younger folks should understand is that what you plan on doing after retirement now may not be what you want to do when you're older. Go ahead and plan, but do it in a flexible way so you're not locked in to something you either can't or no longer want to do.

One thing I've seen people do is to sell their home and move to their vacation home in the woods in Northern MI. Typically, they then have to deal with winter living in the snow and ice, and they're miles away from stores and shopping centers. Cabin fever sets in, and they're at each other's throats before winter's over. Some last one winter, some two or three. Very few stick it out.

The wife and I both worked, and we had no kids. We traveled when we were young and vacationed in Europe every year. We have no desire to travel now, and are happy living in town where everything is close by. I have my shop and an extensive library I acquired over the years, and I stay busy.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM

I am now 65 and will be 66 in March of '11. I have been "retired" for about 10 years now or rather I should say l disabled. I am an old Army Veteran and one of those left over from the Viet Nam war which is the cause of my disabilities.

That said I'd like to agree with many of the points "ttpete" has addressed and I'll add the following observations of my "retirement"

When you are young you are indestructible (at least in your mind) and there is good reason for that. It gives you ability to tackle things like going to the moon and other advancements in our world that, if left to older folks, would never happen. Bravo for that. I remember those days.

Now, I have a lot of time on my hands that was previously filled with accomplishing missions, taking care of my family, reinventing the wheel, etc. That time is now filled with whatever I choose whether playing on the computer, working in my shop, or taking chances riding like a hooligan on my Versys. That's where the invention of the Versys Center Stand came from, time on my hands.

Also, when you enter into retirement the condition of your health in many instances dictates your retirement activities. I know, you are young and that's too far away to think about but you'd better factor that into your thoughts as distasteful as it is. Some are reduced to simply playing cards with friends or some other mundane activity. You do what you can with what you have.

The point of all this rambling is to simply say that when you retire, do the most you can with what you have. Don't sit around turning your mind and body into some sort of vegetable. Get off your duff and do something.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM

ttpete offers some good advice (it's good since I agree with it!). Your interests and preferences change. Just consider your wardrobe or hair style from 2 or 3 decades ago for evidence. The most important thing you can do to prepare for retirement, in my view, is to build a nest egg that allows you to live in a manner which you enjoy. When all that time you used to spend working suddenly becomes "free" time, you need to do something you enjoy and you need the wherewithal to do it.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode