Too fast to see! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too fast to see!

This video gives you an idea of the incredible speeds at the IOM TT; I have trouble making out the rider number as the pass. Easy to see why it is so insanely dangerous; one careless move by one spectator who has had too much alchohol, =disaster!

Love to go, but the tele is the place to really see the riders and the race, IMHO.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 01-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Look at that beautiful countryside!!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM

What amazes me is how skillfully the riders basically set up the turn before they're in it. They know the course well enough to anticipate what's coming next and they're thinking two-three seconds ahead of the bike.

Amazing.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
What amazes me is how skillfully the riders basically set up the turn before they're in it. They know the course well enough to anticipate what's coming next and they're thinking two-three seconds ahead of the bike.

Amazing.
Yes, the Isle of Man is a spectacular place. Participated in the Manx Grand Prix (amateur version of the TT) as a member of Thistle Racing Ltd. several times in the late 60s - early 70s and was absolutely amazed with the skill and course knowledge of local racers. Beyond the racing, for me it was a case of "going home" - my ancestors came from the Isle of Man. Sure made it tough to leave when the time came. It's a beautiful place even without the racing. The Manx say that from the top of Snaefel (the highest mountain on the island) you can see six kingdoms: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Man, and heaven. Not bad.

Sadly, we never managed to perform very well, mostly because of a lack of time and resources. Even in the Manx GP amateur races, an impossible amount of time and commitment was required and the US Air Force sort of got in the way. Oh well.

When we asked a long-retired and very experienced TT racer how we could become familiar with the course he said "you have to walk it - all 37 3/4 miles." Yep, it's dangerous but it's also truly amazing and spectacular. At the time lapping over 100 mph was difficult but now skilled TT riders are lapping at over 130 mph. Astounding!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Yes, the Isle of Man is a spectacular place. Participated in the Manx Grand Prix (amateur version of the TT) as a member of Thistle Racing Ltd. several times in the late 60s - early 70s and was absolutely amazed with the skill and course knowledge of local racers. Beyond the racing, for me it was a case of "going home" - my ancestors came from the Isle of Man. Sure made it tough to leave when the time came. It's a beautiful place even without the racing. The Manx say that from the top of Snaefel (the highest mountain on the island) you can see six kingdoms: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Man, and heaven. Not bad.

Sadly, we never managed to perform very well, mostly because of a lack of time and resources. Even in the Manx GP amateur races, an impossible amount of time and commitment was required and the US Air Force sort of got in the way. Oh well.

When we asked a long-retired and very experienced TT racer how we could become familiar with the course he said "you have to walk it - all 37 3/4 miles." Yep, it's dangerous but it's also truly amazing and spectacular. At the time lapping over 100 mph was difficult but now skilled TT riders are lapping at over 130 mph. Astounding!

I love that....

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

I love watching the TT on tv, and would love to go over some day! The sights and sounds are one thing, but the speed and the smell of any kind of racing must be experienced.

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Its great to watch, but no way would I race in it.
They are going far too fast for my comfort level.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Man that is quick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode