You might be what you eat - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You might be what you eat

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=BZ

check it out. wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Wow, a produce would look good but no one know how much pesticide is used.

Talk about taking poison.. Tomla.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Heck and some people think riding bikes is dangerous to your health, might just have to open throtle more to get more good fresh air purging through my system
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Just started munching some peanuts then saw your thread...well!
Guess it pays to wash foods, fruits, vegies and meats well, when possible.
There wasn't a peanut listing, however there was one for peanut butter, sorta hard to wash peanut butter!

There are problems associated with eating food grown in crap also....think of it.....eeeewwww.

Between the colored pie charts and the percentages one could easily draw conclusions, perhaps wrongfully, that food isn't good for us and we should stop eating in our house. Wondering if there is someone buying organic water out there?

Like my Pa says "I've been drinkin' town water for 80 years and it ain't killed me yet, scoffing at people throwing their money away on shopping carts full of water when it goes on "SALE".

Not in our house!

Organics come from our garden, they're too expensive from anywhere else!

You know you're getting old when you start quoting your father!!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 01-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Most veg we eat come from our garden and the meat from our small paddock, we even a small lemon tree that gives us lemons, my wife and my 78 year old Dad love working in the garden but not me, my job is rotary hoe the ground and eat it(anything with a engine and i will do it).

Nothing like fresh eggs from these girls
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 AM

While I'm not a proponent of widespread pesticide use, the linked page is largely irrelevant given the general lack of context. So captan, for example, is found on 40% of frozen blueberries. Ok, in what typical concentration? What level of concentration is dangerous? Does the residue have the same toxicity as the original chemical? Etc. I'm all for reduction in chemical use, but pardon me for not panicking.

And re: food grown in crap: manure (preferably composted) has been used as a fertilizer over the entire history of agriculture. Oversaturation will give you issues with nitrate levels (I think it's nitrates; been off the farm for awhile), particularly runoff in the water supply, but basically crap (compost) = bonus nutrients. Win.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Anything taken in moderate level is food and anything taken is excess is POISON.

You only eat what your body needs and not what you need and like.

Yes , today's world is filled with chemical and there is no way we can leave without it. You tooth paste is nothing but chemical so you start and end your day with chemical.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM

We eat mostly fresh eggs, wild or self farmed meat, and fresh caught fish, and home grown veggies.
Fruit is about 50/50 mix grown and boughten.
Sadly our flour, butter, cheese and such is all from mass production, and store bought.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Irrelevant to you, informative for some. It's like cancer, you may have a 1 in a million chance of getting it, but what if you're the 1 in the million? so yea, even w/o knowing the concentration of a pesticide, I'm going to buy the organic blueberries over the conventional berries if I have the money and the choice, and since I bought a V and not an f800gs, I have the $.
I'm not panicking either, but your reaction seems like I may have touched a nerve. I find it funny that lots of people react this way, think of the folks who say global warming doesn't exist....
"Crap," yea, harbors lots of bugs, so you have to pay attention to washing all your organic fresh stuff. Hep A sux. The other thing I found out recently was that washing fruits/veg, even in soap, doesn't remove as much pesticide residue as one might think. Environmental Working Group, I think, also puts out a chart that shows which fruits/vegs are relatively safe to eat, like broccoli. If I was a bug, I'd find something a little tastier, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
While I'm not a proponent of widespread pesticide use, the linked page is largely irrelevant given the general lack of context. So captan, for example, is found on 40% of frozen blueberries. Ok, in what typical concentration? What level of concentration is dangerous? Does the residue have the same toxicity as the original chemical? Etc. I'm all for reduction in chemical use, but pardon me for not panicking.

And re: food grown in crap: manure (preferably composted) has been used as a fertilizer over the entire history of agriculture. Oversaturation will give you issues with nitrate levels (I think it's nitrates; been off the farm for awhile), particularly runoff in the water supply, but basically crap (compost) = bonus nutrients. Win.

Last edited by tomla; 01-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
IF THE BUYING STOPS THE KILLING WILL STOP TOO.

You decide how to end this world and its in your hands.

We are the consumers and we can decide what the Market gives us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode