Russian Winters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Russian Winters

These pics make me really feel for our Russian friends....

But they really seem to make the best of it!!...

NO WHINING ABOUT WINTER FROM ME AFTER SEEING THESE!!!....

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Brrr
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Cool pics.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM

no, Cold pics! I want the guy who built that house to build one for me, one damn stout roof there!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just can't believe the first pic is real, the weight and load of that snow should flatten that house.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Just can't believe the first pic is real, the weight and load of that snow should flatten that house.
I think maybe there's a tower there. We have wierder constructions, to be sure. But you're probably right. Photoshop and such.

Carpe Diem
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 AM

Hell, I don't know where they made the second one, but if we have snow storms... Wow. Maybe somewhere in the tundra in winter...

Carpe Diem
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 AM

The second one looks like it's from Japan.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Very COLD pictures. Maybe time to go back to Ice Age

Thanks for sharing.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Check this site for more pics of the same:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010...s-of-snow.html

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Here, we have different codes to build to depending on the snow load for the area you live in.
I used to live where we had a lot of snow, and we never once shoveled our roof, even if it snowed 40 feet that winter.
Even settled, and compacted during warmer spells, the snow would still be over 15 feet high on the roof. It was never a concern.
I loved the times we got heavy snowfalls, especially the 13 feet that fell in 6 days one time. Snowmobiling to the store about 10 kms away for stuff, which was low on supplies by day 3. They were completely out of milk, bread, meat and such by day 4. They had some some chips and canned goods left was about all. I snowblowed out my driveway 3 times a day, and about 100 feet of road on either side of my driveway.
I knew if I let it build up for too long my Honda snowblower would never get through it otherwise, its only a 9hp model.
I also made a walking path the full length of our road for people to walk on, and kept clearing the driveways of the 3 elderly people on my street, that could not clear their own places. A few eighbours were also borrowing my snowblower to keep their driveways from getting too plugged up.Most could run it themselves.
I never went to work for 5 days, I just closed up, and called my employees and told them to all ignore work until I called them back with a reopening time.
I burned up almost 35 gallons of gas in my snowblower that week.
When the power went out, we cooked on the wood heater, and heated our water on it to. Fired up the generator about 4 times a day to plug in a few lights, and run the fridge & freezer to keep food from spoiling.
When I was not using my generator myself, it was running nearly non stop at neighbours houses. Burned up about 50 gallons of gas in it in just 4 days
Thankfully i had just filled up my pickups gas tank, as i kept syphoning gas from it to power stuff.
Eventually had my truck down to near the empty mark, so was getting gas from several of the neighbours that were using my genny, and who were also borrowing my snowblower.
I learned after that, and when winter was coming I kept no less than 8 full 5 gallon jerry cans of gas in the back shed.
Wish I had thought at the time that my boat was nearly full of gas to, and I could have syphoned it dry if need be.
Do a search of snowfalls in Revelstoke BC for info.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 PM

http://www.revelstokecc.bc.ca/snow/

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weathe...4/alm04nov.htm

While I live only about a 2.5 hour drive away from there now, we get about 5% as much snow here on average.
The building codes are different to. This house we are in now, would collapse in Revelstoke due to the snow loading.

Frank
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Check this site for more pics of the same:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010...s-of-snow.html

Thanks Miblue...
that must be where the pics I posted came from, the e-mail I received said "RUSSIA" Sorry folks. Didn't mean to spread falsehoods, just thought they were something to see!!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Thanks Miblue...
that must be where the pics I posted came from, the e-mail I received said "RUSSIA" Sorry folks. Didn't mean to spread falsehoods, just thought they were something to see!!!
Hey Grandpa Ron, no need to apologize, I was inspired by the pics you posted and decided to go hunt for some more to show the wife. I stumbled on some of the ones you posted in addition to the extras. No big deal where they were taken or said to be taken; they're amazing pics and give most of us perspective when we're complaining about our own snow clean up.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Here, we have different codes to build to depending on the snow load for the area you live in.
I used to live where we had a lot of snow, and we never once shoveled our roof, even if it snowed 40 feet that winter.
Even settled, and compacted during warmer spells, the snow would still be over 15 feet high on the roof. It was never a concern.
I loved the times we got heavy snowfalls, especially the 13 feet that fell in 6 days one time..
Probably not used to volume of snow fall you are used to. We built a house and moved into it in 2006 in our home city of Timaru, 3 months later the region had one of the worst snow storms on record. Timaru is right beside the sea so snow fall their can happen every few years but it is usually not much. It hit the new built houses hardest as it took down all the metal spouting which is attached to a metal fascia board which also peeled off. When it was all replaced snow brackets had to be installed as part of new regulations. What caused the damage was as the slow slide off the roof.

At my work massive big buildings roofs collapse and broke main pipe on fire sprinkler system which in turn damaged millions of dollars of milk powder. Had to get permission from site manager in the small hours to turn off the big diesel fire pumps as they just kept pumping due to a pressure drop. Work is only 5 km away from sea.

This was a few days after the snow, Jayden and me decided to make a snow ball to put on the road.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Probably not used to volume of snow fall you are used to. We built a house and moved into it in 2006 in our home city of Timaru, 3 months later the region had one of the worst snow storms on record. Timaru is right beside the sea so snow fall their can happen every few years but it is usually not much. It hit the new built houses hardest as it took down all the metal spouting which is attached to a metal fascia board which also peeled off. When it was all replaced snow brackets had to be installed as part of new regulations. What caused the damage was as the slow slide off the roof.

At my work massive big buildings roofs collapse and broke main pipe on fire sprinkler system which in turn damaged millions of dollars of milk powder. Had to get permission from site manager in the small hours to turn off the big diesel fire pumps as they just kept pumping due to a pressure drop. Work is only 5 km away from sea.

This was a few days after the snow, Jayden and me decided to make a snow ball to put on the road.
Kids will be kids!!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Kids will be kids!!

Yep we sure are big kids, those pics were taken from memory 3-5 days post the big snow, it only snowed for 12 hrs but the first 6 were as heavy as i have ever seen. Had no heating at home as the power was off for first day due to major lines down and we only had a heat pump and a electonic Rinai gas fire that will not fire without the fan going, no electric blanket and i was stuck at work for 18 hrs during storm and came home freezing from working all night and half the day, boohoo june 2006
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep we sure are big kids, those pics were taken from memory 3-5 days post the big snow, it only snowed for 12 hrs but the first 6 were as heavy as i have ever seen. Had no heating at home as the power was off for first day due to major lines down and we only had a heat pump and a electonic Rinai gas fire that will not fire without the fan going, no electric blanket and i was stuck at work for 18 hrs during storm and came home freezing from working all night and half the day, boohoo june 2006

JUNE!! Whine away! But it's still a beauty upside down world you're in!

Did that snowball ever make it to the road??
Perhaps you had to use the tractor, or hook up a horse or two??
Hows your hernia? Looks like good fun had by all though.

p.s. Remind me never to get in a snowball fight with a kiwi!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
The second one looks like it's from Japan.

Talk about blind curves!!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
JUNE!! Whine away! But it's still a beauty upside down world you're in!

Did that snowball ever make it to the road??
Perhaps you had to use the tractor, or hook up a horse or two??
Hows your hernia? Looks like good fun had by all though.

p.s. Remind me never to get in a snowball fight with a kiwi!!
Snowball made it the footpath as the lawn goes down hill from a couple of meres from that pic.

Upside down world, never know what you guys are talking about with a white Christmas, our Christmas/new years break means bbq's, lots of nutty tourists on roads but a great time at the beach or at the lakes, lots of motorbikes on the roads, paddock beside us just got mown for hay etc, that's why i am planning trips to Malaysia this year in our winter june/july and next year hopefully if all goes well june/july 2012 north America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode