New Year's Resolution - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
New Year's Resolution

Some History on New Year Resolutions.

The tradition of making a resolution on New Year's Day and trying to stick with it for a whole year has been done for centuries. Here's how modern promises to lose weight, quit smoking and work harder have evolved from humble beginnings.

2,000 BCE: Babylonians return borrowed items

The ancient Babylonians celebrated New Year's March 23 and marked the day by returning something borrowed from neighbors the previous year. It was the first time in history a New Year's resolution was made as far as historians have discovered.

154 BCE: Roman Senate and the god Janus

The Roman Senate decided to be different in 154 BCE and declared Jan. 1 the first day of the new year instead of March as before. The god Janus is often seen with two heads, one looking forward and one looking behind, which is symbolic of the ending of the old year and bringing in the new. Because the Senate resolved to change the date of the new year, making a resolution became even more prominent.

1722: Jonathan Edwards' "Resolutions"

Although not written for the New Year, Puritan theologian Jonathan Edwards wrote a set of 70 resolutions starting in 1722 that he prescribed reading at least once a week. Many of Edwards' resolutions became the basis for modern sayings such as "never lose one moment of time" or "live with all my might."

1738: "Poor Richard's Almanac"

The modern form of actual New Year's resolutions can probably be found with Benjamin Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanac" of 1738. In it, Franklin writes why it is important to get rid of old habits and make better ones around the New Year. Franklin wrote, "Each year one vicious habit rooted out, in time might make the worst man good throughout." Franklin's almanac published the first set of true New Year's resolutions in history.

1821: Charles Lamb's essay

Published in the London Times of January 1821, Charles Lamb wrote an essay vowing to look forward to the New Year when he would enjoy the spring. Lamb's article was about leaving behind the old year, symbolized by cold winter and death, and remembering with fondness the warmth of the summer frolics with his friends.

Jan. 2, 1948: Errol Flynn makes a famous resolution, Ronald Reagan chimes in

Actor Errol Flynn makes a famous New Year's resolution still popular today. The Pittsburgh Gazette reported Flynn promised to "not make resolutions, as I once did." In the same year, Ronald Reagan also uttered the famous resolution "to believe nothing that I hear and only half of what I see."

So what's your New Year Resolution if any

Happy New Year 2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would say that my resolution for this year(even though I never make them)is to be a better father than I was last year...had some rough times with my teenage kids that I hope to smooth over.

Life is difficult, and it requires daily growth on our part. I felt that I shouldn't have to change but, without change, new experiences are lost.

It's been a tough year...things are looking up.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
I would say that my resolution for this year(even though I never make them)is to be a better father than I was last year...had some rough times with my teenage kids that I hope to smooth over.

Life is difficult, and it requires daily growth on our part. I felt that I shouldn't have to change but, without change, new experiences are lost.

Wow. It takes a real man to accept his downside. Hats off to you sir and hope all goes well.

And that's a very good resolution and May God be with you and your loved ones.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks, Brother.

The same to you and yours

Jsquared

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Years ago I resolved to never wait until New Year's to make improvements that could start immediately, so no more New Year's Resolutions for me.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Wow. It takes a real man to accept his downside. Hats off to you sir and hope all goes well.

And that's a very good resolution and May God be with you and your loved ones.

I agree. My heart goes out to you and your family. Good wishes or the upcoming year. I hope things get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Years ago I resolved to never wait until New Year's to make improvements that could start immediately, so no more New Year's Resolutions for me.
Very good resolution!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:

Have had a issue with our eldest son over the last few years, he done 3 month jail for taking cars and we have butted heads over the years and he has not been at home for 3 years and he is coming 20 in jan. Have vowed to do better from my part and try to mend things going forward. i have not helped the situation.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Have had a issue with our eldest son over the last few years, he done 3 month jail for taking cars and we have butted heads over the years and he has not been at home for 3 years and he is coming 20 in jan. Have vowed to do better from my part and try to mend things going forward. i have not helped the situation.
My heart goes out to you as well Phil. It's tough sometimes. Good luck to you & Keri. I hope things go better.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
My heart goes out to you as well Phil. It's tough sometimes. Good luck to you & Keri. I hope things go better.

buddy, got a ring from eldest today as he decided to stay at my sisters house 100 miles north of us but he sounded happy

Last edited by kiwi 41; 12-25-2010 at 04:05 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
buddy, got a ring from eldest today as he decided to saty at my sisters house 100 miles north of us but he sounded happy
Good news that he sounds happy....

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=kiwi 41;129102]Have had a issue with our eldest son over the last few years, he done 3 month jail for taking cars and we have butted heads over the years and he has not been at home for 3 years and he is coming 20 in jan. Have vowed to do better from my part and try to mend things going forward. i have not helped the situation.[/QUOTE

The relationships we have with our kids are, in my opinion, the most important one's in our lives. The rest of their lives depends, to a great extent, on how they are brought up. The values they are taught, the relational skills they learn, the morals they have, all come from us. We can only hope that, in the learning years, we are doing the right things. What they become is up to them, but we have to hope that they retain the good things that come from us, not the bad.

I am in the process of mending bridges now(my kids are 17,boy, and 13,girl), and I can assure you, it's the most important thing in my life.

They are good kids, well mannered(for the most part), and seemingly well adjusted. Time will only tell.

All I know is that, for them, I am changing myself.

Jsquared

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.

In a dark moment I ask, "How can anyone bring a child into this world?" And the answer rings clear, "Because there is no other world, and because the child has no other way into it." ~Robert Brault,

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 AM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
years ago i resolved to never wait until new year's to make improvements that could start immediately, so no more new year's resolutions for me.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM

I am going to try to forgive the asshole that back stabbed me last year, and at least hope to not hate him so badly I wish him dead anymore.
I learned to not be so trusting, and never loan money without a legal contract drawn up for it.

So boiled down, I have two new years resolutions.

1. Be more forgiving.

2. Be less gullible.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank

Last edited by arewethereyet; 12-25-2010 at 06:43 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 PM

I don't believe resolve can be declared, it has to be proven. My "goal" this year is to not let emotions control my actions and words.

My Album:
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
I am going to try to forgive the asshole that back stabbed me last year, and at least hope to not hate him so badly I wish him dead anymore.
I learned to not be so trusting, and never loan money without a legal contract drawn up for it.

So boiled down, I have two new years resolutions.

1. Be more forgiving.

2. Be less gullible.

Man, that sucks.

Only thing I can offer is that by being less gullible, you don't have to work so hard at being forgiving...

J

Jsquared

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"I am going to try to forgive the ass hole that back stabbed me last year, and at least hope to not hate him so badly I wish him dead anymore."

Victimization is by self and not by others.

You are a victim of your own actions and thoughts, so no use blaming others.

Hope all goes well and wish you well in the coming years.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
"I am going to try to forgive the ass hole that back stabbed me last year, and at least hope to not hate him so badly I wish him dead anymore."

Victimization is by self and not by others.

You are a victim of your own actions and thoughts, so no use blaming others.

Hope all goes well and wish you well in the coming years.

Ya I know.
I tried to help, as he sounded desperate, and trusted him to work it off, and be good for it.
So I lent him a large sum of money, then he made up a bunch of excuses for why he could not, and told mutual friends lies to help cover his ass.
I lent it out, and will never do so again. Yes, my fault. But still mad at him.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Man, that sucks.

Only thing I can offer is that by being less gullible, you don't have to work so hard at being forgiving...

J
True.

Thanks.

Frank
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 PM

I resolve to show more "GRACE"

"Showing Grace is to allow others(and myself) to be human and make mistakes"

Resentment, unlike forgiveness is not good motivation for positive or lasting change.

Not that I'm an authority or anything...life doesn't come with a users manual?

Or does it?

I'll be lifting a glass, and making a toast for my forum friends this New Years Eve...And it's the anniversary of the wife and I first meeting 5 years ago...... Guys and Gals.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode